PC Peripherals Problems with my new build

Apex

Skilled
Hi,

This evening I managed to collect all the stuff required and decided to assemble my new PC. Its almost four and a half years since I had assembled the last one but luckily, things haven't changed as much. The first problem I faced was while installing the Intel HSF. I tried to install it inside the cabinet but when I pushed one pin, the other would come out and so on. I had to take out the motherboard from the cabinet to install the HSF successfully. I thought that was it but I was wrong. :hap5:

I installed the rest of the components and tried to plug in the power cable of Corsair VX450 but then I was in for another shock. God knows why but Corsair decided to bundle a weird looking plug with the cable which won't go in my APC UPS. Infact, its so weird that it won't go inside any socket in my house. Finally, I managed to find an old Surge Protector (Chinese make) but I wasn't sure if the socket is compatible or not. Anyway, I somehow plugged in the Corsair power cord in that socket and turned on my PC.

I was happy to have solved the power cord problem, though not sure if it would work. I turned on the UPS and the LED on the motherboard went on and I thought its all okay. I hit the power button on the cabinet, the fans started spinning up and then after 2 secs, they all went off incl. the Power LED on the cabinet, it again went on and off and on...repeatedly. I turned down the mains and checked all the cables again, everything was alright. My motherboard has a provision for both 8-pin and 4-pin 12V CPU connectors, same with the PSU and I tried them both but the results were similar.

When I turn on the PC, it goes on and off repeatedly but doesn't boot. There are no signals or sounds from the motherboard/cabinet speaker. There's no display on the monitor, nothing. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect it has something to do with that weird power cable or the PSU itself. Though, to be honest, I'm clueless. I don't know what to do now and I've wasted the entire evening trying to troubleshoot that problem without success. What could be wrong? Please help. :cry:

And BTW, here's my system specs in case it helps -

PSU: Intel C2D E7200
MOBO: ASUS P5Q
RAM: Corsair TWIN2x2048 6400
GPU: Gecube HD4850
PSU: Corsair VX450
HDD: Seagate 250GB SATA
OD: Sony DVD-RW ATA

Its seems like the mobo is the problem. One of my friends faced a similar problem, he bought a new P5Q mobo, and after going through one torture after the other for 2 days it was the motherboard that was DOA. So the third day we went to prime and got a new motherboard. We tried every damn thing, changed the psu, ram, gfx cards. Nothing worked. End result : Thank god the mobo was under the 3 day DOA warranty. Else going through the torture of a normal asus mobo rma would suck :p.

You can also try booting up with a single stick of RAM on your 1st or 4th DIMM slot ... not sure about this but it worked for me a couple of times.

But first reset the CMOS to rule out any other issue.

first do what naga has said..

you have prolly messed up headers for the cabby's switch i guess

ps-congrats on finally taking the plunge :D

rushabht said:
Its seems like the mobo is the problem. One of my friends faced a similar problem, he bought a new P5Q mobo, and after going through one torture after the other for 2 days it was the motherboard that was DOA. So the third day we went to prime and got a new motherboard. We tried every damn thing, changed the psu, ram, gfx cards. Nothing worked. End result : Thank god the mobo was under the 3 day DOA warranty. Else going through the torture of a normal asus mobo rma would suck :p.

Oh god!! I've bought the P5Q motherboard from Prime (they shipped it on Monday and I got it through courier this afternoon) and it wasn't seal packed. :no: It only had two stickers covering the CPU socket and RAM slots. Now you've got me worried there. :(

@Others: I'll do all the testing tomm. and let you guys know.

@Stalker: No I'm sure I haven't messed up the headers. Its hard to messup with the Q-Connectors. :p

The connections might be okay but what if the cabby switch is defective? Just try shorting the power switch headers to rule that out.

exactly what i meant :p

the cabbys headers might be messed up. not the pins on the mobo

ps-q connector = ?

header with all stuff joined together?

Yes doesn't seem to be that your mobo went kaput, mostly that would mean no power to mobo ... most prolly Naga/Stalker are correct ... some cabby power/rest wires are messed up, so the system is getting reset signals continuoulsy.

On the weird plug on ur VX450 i would say most PSU's made for international use would have that kind of plugs, correct me if i am wrong, the shape of the pins are not the general round cylindrical, but flat and sharp. You can get a simple converter plug for 5 bucks from ur local electrical shop. i have a similar plug for my Gigabyte psu.

same thing happened with me today.

plugged a new HDD in my pc and as soon as i started pc, it turn off automactically again. i tried 2-3 times but they damn thing din't start.

I removed HDD and start again. voila it booted fine. after checking and smelling the HDD. i came to know the HDD was burned. there was a smell coming from power connector. damn, i still duno what happened

:(:cry:

god knows, if seagate people will accept it for RMA again in gap of week.

@Apex.

Try removing HDD,Optical drive and Graphics card. plug only the essentials things. and see if it works. if yes then try adding things one my one.you will find the culprit

I would suggest you first try running the system with the MoBo outside the case, you could be having the problem if there is a stand-off between the MoBo and case which is in the wrong place and is creating a short ciruit. I found that my current Intel MoBo has its required stand-off locations in different places compared to all the ASUS MoBo's I have used before it. You used an Intel MoBo before the P5Q - did you check the stand-off locations before installing the new MoBo ?

My Intel MoBo also has different positions for the panel pins compared to all my ASUS MoBo's, so if your "Q-Connector" worked on the Intel it may not be OK for the ASUS.

Eazy said:
I would suggest you first try running the system with the MoBo outside the case, you could be having the problem if there is a stand-off between the MoBo and case which is in the wrong place and is creating a short ciruit. I found that my current Intel MoBo has its required stand-off locations in different places compared to all the ASUS MoBo's I have used before it. You used an Intel MoBo before the P5Q - did you check the stand-off locations before installing the new MoBo ?

My Intel MoBo also has different positions for the panel pins compared to all my ASUS MoBo's, so if your "Q-Connector" worked on the Intel it may not be OK for the ASUS.

ya dude this happened to me.Chk this also.In my case there was a server plate in the Chieftec cabby.

greenhorn said:
why an asus board among all things :frusty:

well, all the best or the Asus RMA experience.

asus rma seems to hvae improved man. Prime till recently would suggest ppl to not buy asus coz of rashi.. but since about 2 months or so, they've got them back. Meenal says rashi has worked on making the rma process work as it actually should.

techcheat said:
Go to someone who knows how to assemble a PC for a living and get your assembly checked~

thats like the lamest possible advice :bleh::bleh:

why would he need an assembler when he has TE :clap:

greenhorn said:
why an asus board among all things :frusty:
well, all the best or the Asus RMA experience.
Eh? Shripad (Funky) said that ASUS now offers quick off the shelf replacement for its mobos and P5Q is one of the cheapest and best P45 boards available in India currently.
Eazy said:
I'll give it a go, for sure but just to tell you that I've used a new cabinet for the assembly. There were 6 holes in that board and I've used exactly 6 "stand-offs" and everyone of them were in the right place.
Eazy said:
Again, I got that "Q-Connector" with the ASUS board itself so there's no question on pin match etc. and obviously, I've never used that "Q-Connector" on my earlier Intel board. :p
BTW, two more questions -
1. Is it okay to use any other power cord with the Corsair PSU? I hope that won't be a problem except that the Corsair power cord has some kind of built-in FUSE for overload protection??
2. What's with the 4-pin and 8-pin 12V CPU connectors? I can use either but since there's a provision for 8-pin, will it be better to use the 8-pin connector and how exactly does that help?

Apex said:
1. Is it okay to use any other power cord with the Corsair PSU? I hope that won't be a problem except that the Corsair power cord has some kind of built-in FUSE for overload protection??
2. What's with the 4-pin and 8-pin 12V CPU connectors? I can use either but since there's a provision for 8-pin, will it be better to use the 8-pin connector and how exactly does that help?

1. yes I used to use another cord with my HX620 till I got a converter

2. i use the 8pin connector but I don't know how exactly does that help

Apex said:
Eh? Shripad (Funky) said that ASUS now offers quick off the shelf replacement for its mobos and P5Q is one of the cheapest and best P45 boards available in India currently.

I'll give it a go, for sure but just to tell you that I've used a new cabinet for the assembly. There were 6 holes in that board and I've used exactly 6 "stand-offs" and everyone of them were in the right place.

Again, I got that "Q-Connector" with the ASUS board itself so there's no question on pin match etc. and obviously, I've never used that "Q-Connector" on my earlier Intel board. :p

Use a temporary power chord just to check but not recommended for 24/7 usage. Also try to post with bare essentials, i.e. memory and gfx only. Use the 8 pin connector for the processor. And yes testing it by shorting the mobo pins would further narrow down ur problem, and use 1 memory stick alternatively and do try all four slots individually. Also if there more pci ex slots try the card on those too in case nothing works. But I dont think this should be such a big problem. Prolly the power cable.

Back