Storage Solutions Problems with new Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB - ST2000DL003

boogeyman

Adept
Hi Guys,

I'm facing a weird problem with a 2 week old Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB - ST2000DL003. I've partitioned the drive with NTFS as follows:

C: 63 GB

D: 800 GB

E: 1000 GB

I haven't installed any OS on it yet and for the moment I'm just using it to download torrents on. They download fine when I set E: as the destination, but when I download them onto D:, I face problems. Utorrent reports, "Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)"

Force rechecking the data downloaded so far, results in the same error midway during the check. I have reformatted the D: drive multiple times (Both quick and non-quick format), I have run Check Disk (both with and without "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"). No errors are found in the check as well. I have also tried different torrents, but some time or the other, they all fail with the above error.

Is the disk faulty? Anything else I can try?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Anyone?

I also tried copying the files (the incomplete torrent files) from D: to E:. It copied whatever files it could and then it gave error, "Cannot read from source or disk". So I skipped whatever files gave the error. But then I resumed the download from E: after doing a force recheck in utorrent, and it worked fine.

Download HD Tune and check health of the drive. Also run the error scan in HD Tune. If every thing comes out fine, then backup data on the drive, remove all partitions and start afresh with the partitions. Weird issues can happen because of corrupt partition tables as well.

Thanks. Will try that tonight.

Also, can you tell me about the allocation unit? I chose default allocation unit while formatting (I think it was 4KB). Does this drive need to be formatted with something specific?

Nope. Just use the default allocation unit size. Let Windows takes care of the rest. Just so you know, I have been using one of these drives myself.

1. Delete all the partitions. Create new ones. Then check.

2. Try a different p2p client.

3. If you have a Linux distro lying around, format the partition with it and see.

Looks like you have a few bad sectors. It could be fixed by marking the bad ones as unusable, but then it could get worse.

Use tools like HD TUne, HD Sentinel or Seagate's own. Do a full test.

First of all why did you allocate such large space to these partitions ?. Its always better to allocate < than 500gb per partition. I am not sure whether this is the cause of such an error but its safe to partition in that manner. My hardware engineer used to tell this. Dont know why...

It seems to be a bad sectors issue. Scan it with hdtune (error scan). If it throws up any bad sectors, its RMA time.

These drives do have a high failure rate, so do the WD green EARS versions. I had to shelve my plans to buy a 2tb coz of my apprehensions of losing 2TB of data, all at once.

@anfjavid: To my knowledge, its not a problem if you partition it more than 500GB. I think winxp 32bit had some limitations in terms of max partition size for an NTFS drive, maybe you are talking about that

anfjavid said:
First of all why did you allocate such large space to these partitions ?. Its always better to allocate < than 500gb per partition. I am not sure whether this is the cause of such an error but its safe to partition in that manner. My hardware engineer used to tell this. Dont know why...
LOL.. And what do expect guy's like Udit to do considering they have 10 or more 2TB HDD's. There are only 26 letters in the alphabet and A and B cannot be used for HDD's and atleast one would be taken up by an Optical drive leaving only 23 usable alphabet for HDD Volumes. In the past, I myself ran out of alphabet partitioning my hard drives that way, Now I simply partition my hard drives into max two partitions. I have a couple of 2TB drives having 931GB Partitions.

I did a quick error scan and it all came clean. Should I go for the non-quick scan? And yes, it is CC32 firmware.

The health tab did have 2 warnings regarding "Reallocated Sector Count" and "Current Pending Sector"

Here it is pasted below:

HD Tune Pro: ST2000DL003-9VT166 Health

ID Current Worst ThresholdData Status

(01) Raw Read Error Rate 98 82 6 175667197 ok

(03) Spin Up Time 96 94 0 0 ok

(04) Start/Stop Count 100 100 20 145 ok

(05) Reallocated Sector Count 44 44 36 37288 warning

(07) Seek Error Rate 100 253 30 555670 ok

(09) Power On Hours Count 100 100 0 552 ok

(0A) Spin Retry Count 100 100 97 0 ok

(0C) Power Cycle Count 100 100 20 7 ok

(B7) (unknown attribute) 100 100 0 0 ok

(B8) End To End Error Detection 100 100 99 0 ok

(BB) Reported Uncorrectable Errors 1 1 0 6695 ok

(BC) Command Timeout 100 100 0 65537 ok

(BD) (unknown attribute) 58 58 0 42 ok

(BE) Airflow Temperature 65 56 45 589496355 ok

(BF) G-sense Error Rate 100 100 0 0 ok

(C0) Unsafe Shutdown Count 100 100 0 143 ok

(C1) Load Cycle Count 100 100 0 145 ok

(C2) Temperature 35 44 0 35 ok

(C3) Hardware ECC Recovered 26 3 0 175667197 ok

(C5) Current Pending Sector 1 1 0 10464 warning

(C6) Offline Uncorrectable 1 1 0 10464 ok

(C7) Ultra DMA CRC Error Count 200 200 0 0 ok

(F0) Head Flying Hours 100 253 0 547 ok

(F1) LifeTime Writes from Host 100 253 0 1967152267 ok

(F2) LifeTime Reads from Host 100 253 0 886521071 ok

Health Status : warning

What do you guys suggest?

^ OK I got the answer from this post: http://www.techenclave.com/storage-solutions/segate-1tb-hdd-screwed-need-urgent-189641.html

I'll run it overnight and post results.

Yea... HD Tune reported errors in the non-quick scan. It was only 53% complete by morning and already 20% of it was bad.

So I'm guessing its RMA time. Is the process still the same? Do I have to take it to Accel Frontline office which is on Andheri-Kurla road?

Data has been backed up.

I went to the Seagate website and I found the warranty information for my serial number. Seatools desktop performed the tests and found problems too. Now I dont understand the RMA process. I registered there and provided my shipping information. The site mentions:

Standard Shipping: 3-7 days

Replacement product will be shipped to you after Seagate receives your original product.**

Do I need to ship this drive to Chennai? Can't I just take it to the Accel office like before?

What I understand is that Accel has now introduced a new system where they ask you to register at their site & get a printout of the registration info, then you have to take this printout & the defective drive to them for RMA...

Don't know if they have changed this yet or not...

I checked with Seagate CC. I have to first register on Accel's site : Accel Frontline Services
Then I have to take the Drive to Active Infotech, Chakala office. Luckily that place is open tomorrow so will be doing it then.

Shipping to Chennai is not needed.

Seagate advertises door-to-door pickup for faulty drives but it turns out that this is only for regions where Accel's service center is not present. :mad:

Here is the process of RMA for Seagate if anyone is interested:

1. Go to Accel Frontline Services and select Seagate from the drop down list. Click on the "here" link next to it
2. Click on customer registration and register your profile
3. You will get a customer ID (Mine was "EA" followed by 8 numbers)
4. Take your faulty HDD to one of these Accel Frontline centers: http://myservice.accelwms.in/SerivceCenterDetails.aspx

Note 1: A web check-in (known as "Call Registration")for your faulty product also exists but I was unable to go through with it. It just wouldn't allow me to select the Service Center address
Note 2: Warranty can be checked here: Warranty Validation

5. Bill is not needed by Accel as they can check the warranty themselves from the Serial number. They will provide you with a printout of "Warranty Service Request" once they accept your HDD
6. For my internal HDD, they said that if they can repair it, it will take 2 weeks. Or else replacement happens in 1 week. (I'm currently at this stage with the RMA)
7. They will send an SMS/Email to inform when the drive is repaired/replaced and when we can collect it.
8. Call status can be checked here: http://myservice.accelwms.in/CallStatus_View.aspx

If you have any questions, you can contact the Accel center nearest to you (phone numbers in the link above) and they will answer them. Seagate customer care is also helpful @ 1800 425 45 35

Also, the number for the Chakala (andheri east) center is (022)-42292690 which was not mentioned on the site.

Forgot to post updates on this case. I received an SMS from Accel on 18th May (I had given the HDD to them on the 7th) stating that the replacement is ready and I can collect it.

I went to the same place on 21st and received it. The replacement was sealed in a static proof bag but it did have a sticker on it mentioning that it has been refurbished/replaced... don't remember exactly. So when selling it, I wont be able to sell it as completely new. HDD has been running great until now. HD Tune extended scan was also clean. Overall a very decently fast RMA and pleasant experience with Accel/Seagate :)

Back