Programming noob - Help me with these basic quries

CA50

Skilled
Hi fellas,

So here it goes... i have to make a management softwares for our college as my final year project.

The problem is that i don't have he basic idea about programming,

- What language to use?

- Why?

- etc. etc.

Can anyone help me with this, and please explain the stuff in details (noob
<
)

I have experience with C, C++ and java, but i like C and C++.

What is MS .NET and Visual C++ ??

Your response is highly appreciated

PS: Noob Alert : more queries to come

Management software are very easy to make given you know what you are doing. Before choosing a language and platform first carve out your priorities.
  • You want the software to be web centric or a simple desktop app.
  • Other than that do you require a GUI frontend for the same ?
  • What are the goals that you are seeking with the project. How big and diverse it is going to be.
  • Do you plan to enhance the software ?
  • What are the aims that you want to set. Code Optimization, feature integration or a simple beta release for self learning ?

Look creating a project is only easy if you know clearly you aim. Language is just a tool to carve out your idea. I don't know why people are hell bent on choosing a platform/language when they don't even have solid reasoning and vision for what they intend to create.

So if you are sure about what to do. Any platform of your choice should suffice.

Why ? - > Why we type in english using the keyboard when hindi fonts are available ? Because it is easier. So instead of judging from someone's else perspective you see which language fit the bill for you.

With java you will have easier integration and laid out methods along with inbuilt toolkit for drawing objects and frames. With C++ you have to lay more focus on cleaning up the code and *ahem* additional knowledge needed if you plan to make GUI frontend.

The problem is that i don't have he basic idea about programming,

Honestly, if I were you, I'd be frightened to be clueless about programming after 4 years in college
<
But in this age of the internet, you have options.

The person above me has given you an ideal solution to your problem. But as you are in the last year, I think it will be too time consuming to go over the basics at this stage. I will give some pointers which will be quick to follow and get the job done but certainly not an alternative to learning the basics.

Choose ASP.NET as your programming platform.
</p>

Easy to use interface and helpful in developing relatively simple applications.
</p>

Learn a bit about sql and commonly used queries. Use youtube for quick gratification.
</p>

Finally, scrounge the internet for code. For common management s/w, you will definitely find many simple apps</p>

Alternatively,

Use youtube to find a good, step-by-step tutorial to develop the app something like [media]http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=management+app+tutorial+in+asp.net&oq=management+app+tutorial+in+asp.net&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=9864l13408l0l13664l13l13l0l0l0l7l278l2637l0.7.6l13l0[/media]

Management software are very easy to make given you know what you are doing. Before choosing a language and platform first carve out your priorities.
  • You want the software to be web centric or a simple desktop app.
  • - that will be a standalone desktop application

• Other than that do you require a GUI frontend for the same ?
  • - Yes it will be GUI, that will me made for the college stuff, so GUI, UI etc will be top priority, as they will not be interested in trouble some software

• What are the goals that you are seeking with the project. How big and diverse it is going to be.
  • -The primary goal will be employee management, if everything goes well, i might include student and library management as well

• Do you plan to enhance the software ?
  • -Whats this actually?? Need some more explanation. Thank you.

• What are the aims that you want to set. Code Optimization, feature integration or a simple beta release for self learning ?
  • -Same some explanation please. It will not be a Beta one, must be a stable one, for everyday usage

Look creating a project is only easy if you know clearly you aim. Language is just a tool to carve out your idea. I don't know why people are hell bent on choosing a platform/language when they don't even have solid reasoning and vision for what they intend to create.

So if you are sure about what to do. Any platform of your choice should suffice.

Why ? - > Why we type in english using the keyboard when hindi fonts are available ? Because it is easier. So instead of judging from someone's else perspective you see which language fit the bill for you.

With java you will have easier integration and laid out methods along with inbuilt toolkit for drawing objects and frames. With C++ you have to lay more focus on cleaning up the code and *ahem* additional knowledge needed if you plan to make GUI frontend.

About the project, i have gone through it and have the necessary idea about it, but just highly confused in taking the steps.

What is MS .net, i heard that one can do this project in ms .net, so what is this? And also what is VC++ ??

Honestly, if I were you, I'd be frightened to be clueless about programming after 4 years in college
<
But in this age of the internet, you have options.

The person above me has given you an ideal solution to your problem. But as you are in the last year, I think it will be too time consuming to go over the basics at this stage. I will give some pointers which will be quick to follow and get the job done but certainly not an alternative to learning the basics.

Choose ASP.NET as your programming platform.
</p>

Easy to use interface and helpful in developing relatively simple applications.
</p>

Learn a bit about sql and commonly used queries. Use youtube for quick gratification.
</p>

Finally, scrounge the internet for code. For common management s/w, you will definitely find many simple apps</p>

Alternatively,

Use youtube to find a good, step-by-step tutorial to develop the app something like [media]http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=management+app+tutorial+in+asp.net&oq=management+app+tutorial+in+asp.net&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=9864l13408l0l13664l13l13l0l0l0l7l278l2637l0.7.6l13l0[/media]

Thanks mate for your response, regarding programming, i know about it and have some knowledge and experience with it, still i ma confused with this project work, as this is my first.

So frankly i am confused about how to proceed? and may be little nervous as well.

Thanks to all for your, please post your views
<

So you didn't have any programming related assignments/projects/viva-voce before this assignment? I find it hard to believe this but if this is the case, you are better off "outsourcing" your project. Just make sure you have a trusted source and also do understand the ins and outs of the code completely or there are high chances of you being caught.

^ i had assignments before, but those were not big, some very low-end.

And NO, i will code the project myself, as i love coding
<
. I will learn the rest as necessary.

Can you explain the difference between Microsoft .Net and Visual C++?

Is .net a language of a lang ??

Are they related or what?

@CA50: Relax bro everyone goes through this and I totally appreciate coming clean about it, its never too late to start.

Microsoft .Net is a managed application framework. That jargon in a nutshell means "Its a lot easier to code in than anything native like C/C++". Details could be discussed further. I would suggest not sticking to a platform just because someone suggests it (Disclaimer: I am a .Net dev and love the MS stack). That said, .Net is increadibly easy to adapt to, has great communities (INETA) oll over India, and has plenty of online learning resources are available. Same can be argued with the overall LAMP side of things, but I am personally am not aware of that so prefer not to comment.

Before I'd suggest a platform per se I'd like to know what is it that you want to implement? Unless you are a comp sci/IT student you may not even need to use custom code, something like SaleForce might work as well.

#sarang, thanks for your words
<

About my project, it will be a management system (may be an employee management system), so it will have database and some calculation might be involved.

Another question: is VB.net and .net are the same thing ??

.net is just a framework, which means bunch of reusable code. So instead of wasting time writing code for rendering a window, you can simply call the draw window method from the framework which does all the mundane piping for you and you can concentrate on your actual work. VB.net, C#, IronPython are some of the languages which work with the .net framework.

That's a simple enough answer to your question, which could've been answered with a simple query in your favourite search engine. I'm sorry to say but it just indicates laziness. Sure, this is a forum where sharing of knowledge is expected, but so is some amount of homework. Anyway, it's never too late, and good luck with your project!
<

#CA50 : VC++ is one the most powerful high level languages. VC++ .NET is its .NET version - means, you will be coding with .NET platform. syntax is slightly different, but you will feel more powerful with that. Its mainly used to create system level programs(doesn't mean that you cant use it for anything else).

Management software can be done as a Desktop Application (EXEs for 1 PC or for LAN) and a Web Application (mostly used by companies, because they have offices in different states/countries/continents and they need to access it from wherever they are)

If you are going to build a small application, do it as a Desktop Application : do not use VB.NET, as there are no other languages except old VB6 that uses a similar syntax.(most of the programmers don't even consider VB as a programming language
<
. even small kids can do vb ) If you want to do project in .NET platform, use C# .NET. Its very easy for a C# programmer to switch to java etc as the syntax looks almost the same. (All .NET languages are object oriented anyways)

You may also use java to do the project as a desktop application, Swing in java is the primary Java GUI widget toolkit, you can use it to design forms etc. Netbeans IDE has drag and drop feature, so you can design UI and forms like you do in Microsoft's Visual Studio.NET

If you want to do this project in a higher level, you can do it in ASP.NET or J2EE : When you use ASP.NET, you have to program the functionality using C#.NET or VB.NET as ASP.NET(active server pages.NET) is only a web application framework. As i mentioned earlier, if you are using .NET, always go for C#.NET.

When you use J2EE, you will do coding using java. There are few options. you may use servlets in java, or you may use JSP(java server pages) and there is something else called EJB. Now a days they all use java frameworks like struts, ant etc to do the job. This is enterprise level. its free, its good.

I suggest J2EE, as its open source, most of the frameworks are free, industry prefers Java in enterprise level, and now its powered by Oracle
<
. There is no harm in doing ASP.NET projects, except that everything is proprietary. windows/vs.net/sql server etc are costly
<
(not for student editions)

#babumxx, thanks for your post.

TBH i am not good at java, and i am not much interested in it as well.
My interest is in C++ and C, so can i use VC++.net for the management project??

TIA

yes, you can use VC++.NET. After learning .NET, you will understand that all the .NET languages can do exactly same things. Only difference is in keywords. :)

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/0764548379 - Tom Archer books are famous, but this is a very old book. (.NET 1.1 or 1.2 i guess). I don't really know the current Best book. This was one of the top ones of its time.

There is .NET 4.o now. So try to get the latest version of this book from Library. or Start from MSDN - http://msdn.microsof...y/w0x726c2.aspx

http://books.google....=gbs_navlinks_s (I have read few other books from sams, they were very good books. so i hope this one will help you understand c++.net)

http://books.google....IsC&redir_esc=y (Use for Reference Only - This is not a how to book)

#CA50 Mate, a statement like "I am not good at java and not interested in it" may not do too well for you as a developer. Its just another language and surrounding technology stack. To be very blunt about it, if you think you suck at JAva chances are you'd suck at .Net as well. So it'll be good to sit back relax jot down the areas what make you think you suck at Java and then try and improvise on those while learning dotnet. If I ever have to recommend a noob (Even a Pro) some learning meaterial, I'd suggest subscribing to Pluralsight and amking full use of it while the subscription lasts. Its 30$ very well spent . Their ASP.Net MVC course is freely available here.

Back