Programming USB Devices

There are cheap infrared and light sensors on the market . I got interested in using them but do not know where to start . If any one has worked in this line could show me some pointers where to start . Thanks .

What is the relation between Infrared/light sensors and programming USB devices?
What exactly do you want to accomplish?
Take a look into the projects uploaded onto Instructables and check out the Arduino forum on the Arduino website.

here are my cheap components for sensing infrared and visible light:
LDR.jpg

to begin with, you can try assembling small projects on a breadboard. you can buy electronic kits which usually have all the basic components to build easy projects.

There are ready made Boards that have integrated Sensors Infrared , ambient light etc . They have USB interfaces for their development boards . I want to learn not just for that particular device but anything that has a USB interface .

There are cheap infrared and light sensors on the market . I got interested in using them but do not know where to start . If any one has worked in this line could show me some pointers where to start . Thanks .
Well there are many things you can do with this.
You can have a standalone solution with a controller and sensors with a data logger along with a usb and/or serial bus , or you can also have controllability from the a usb/serial port.
The most fruitful and fun way would be making an arduino clone yourself or better go vanilla with an atmel controller along with their IDE AVRstudio. THe latter is more "fun".
Interface one sensor with the controller and you have done them all it is just a basic operation of ADC-analog to digital converter which is inbuilt in most controllers . I would suggest ATmega16 to start with, the programmer for the same can be made with atmega8 uc.
For interface with a computer through usb/serial port you will require a interface chip.
I would suggest to go with serial port with a MAX232A chip, it is very easy to interface it to uc and send commands via putty.
For usb its is a bit tricky as usb chips come in SMD mounts and need skills for soldering. I would go for a usbtoserial ready made bride which usually cost around 200/-. It is just FT2323 chip which essentially converts usb to serial link.

Well there are many things you can do with this.
You can have a standalone solution with a controller and sensors with a data logger along with a usb and/or serial bus , or you can also have controllability from the a usb/serial port.
The most fruitful and fun way would be making an arduino clone yourself or better go vanilla with an atmel controller along with their IDE AVRstudio. THe latter is more "fun".
Interface one sensor with the controller and you have done them all it is just a basic operation of ADC-analog to digital converter which is inbuilt in most controllers . I would suggest ATmega16 to start with, the programmer for the same can be made with atmega8 uc.
For interface with a computer through usb/serial port you will require a interface chip.
I would suggest to go with serial port with a MAX232A chip, it is very easy to interface it to uc and send commands via putty.
For usb its is a bit tricky as usb chips come in SMD mounts and need skills for soldering. I would go for a usbtoserial ready made bride which usually cost around 200/-. It is just FT2323 chip which essentially converts usb to serial link.
If @challapradyumna has no experience with microcontrollers, it is pretty difficult to do. It is for ths reason Arduino was developed. Write code easily. Test it. Then just swap out the onboard microcontroller into any standalone circuit and replace the controller with another blank one(blank chip with bootloader).

If @challapradyumna has no experience with microcontrollers, it is pretty difficult to do. It is for ths reason Arduino was developed. Write code easily. Test it. Then just swap out the onboard microcontroller into any standalone circuit and replace the controller with another blank one(blank chip with bootloader).
That is up to OP, whether he wants to just use the ready made codes and see some LEDs blink or read and experiment by going through the controllers datasheet

Back