PS3 "click" sound during ON-OFF

Zinc

Adept
I didn't find a similar thread so created this one.

My ps3 slim which is within the warranty period makes a "click" sound sometime after turning it on/off.
The sound usually comes once or twice and only during turning it on/off.

I tried googling it and came up with different, confused results.

I'm not sure whether its a hard disk issue (I pray not!!) or something due to expansion/contraction (as "googling" suggested!) but I just wanted to make myself sure about this.

I'm asking it here as I think the people here are good and helping unlike many other forums that I tried.

So if anyone who uses the ps3 has had the same issue (if its an issue, that is), then please reply here with suggestions/information.

Thanks!

Are you sure its your ps3 and not your tv, because my tv does this. It's attributed to its capacitors which discharge. As long its your tv, its not a problem, but if it turns out that it really is your ps3 then I say get it checked.

dinjo said:
Are you keeping PS3 horizontally ?

Thanks for replying.
Its the slim one and I don't have a stand so I keep it horizontally.
Any problem may occur by that too?

Aphro_EVO said:
Are you sure its your ps3 and not your tv, because my tv does this. It's attributed to its capacitors which discharge. As long its your tv, its not a problem, but if it turns out that it really is your ps3 then I say get it checked.

Yes, its the ps3 only and not the TV.

Do you use a ps3? Because in other forums I found many guys had the exact problem but they attributed it to expansion/contraction due to heating. But I just wanted to be sure.

My TV never made any such sounds.
Well, sorry if its a stupid question but doesn't the ps3 have capacitors inside?

My phat PS3 makes this 'click' noise after a brief session of gaming; once it's switched off i.e.

I *think* this happens during the process when the chip cools itself - read the same elsewhere after a YLOD'd PS3's chips are heated using the heat gun technique and let to cool off.

Nothing to be worried of - you have a slim PS3! :)

Gannu said:
My phat PS3 makes this 'click' noise after a brief session of gaming; once it's switched off i.e.

I *think* this happens during the process when the chip cools itself - read the same elsewhere after a YLOD'd PS3's chips are heated using the heat gun technique and let to cool off.

Nothing to be worried of - you have a slim PS3! :)

Thanks for replying.

But mine does while switching ON too!

I found this was a common occurrence with ps3s after some googling.
But just wanted to be sure that there is nothing wrong.

^^

mine does it too

its just the expansion/contraction due to heating.. nothing to worry about.. the plastic used in ps3 slim is cheapo... the same sound occurs when i press the plastic a little.

ishashank said:
^^
mine does it too
its just the expansion/contraction due to heating.. nothing to worry about.. the plastic used in ps3 slim is cheapo... the same sound occurs when i press the plastic a little.

Thanks mate!
:)

Keep it vertical and you dont need a stand to keep it and it would never make a noise.Now my PS 3 Slim never makes any noise , its the plasticy sound

dinjo said:
Keep it vertical and you dont need a stand to keep it and it would never make a noise.Now my PS 3 Slim never makes any noise , its the plasticy sound

Thanks for the reply.
But how do you keep the ps3 slim vertical without a stand?
I mean, it can be kept but the base is not so wide as the phat one so there's always a risk.
I think you understand what I'm saying.

@kestrel5915 - thanks for asking this question. i also have the slim kept horizontally and i thought about getting it checked due to this "click" thing. Thanks for clearing the doubt.

Back