PS3 shutting itself off

prabs

Skilled
I have a PS3 Slim which I bought back in September/October 2012. I swapped the HDD that came with it a 320GB to 1 TB last year,

My PS3 started turning itself off randomly today. It was working perfectly last week when I last played on it.

The first time PS3 turned on normally and then suddenly around 2 minutes turned itself off. There was no RED standby LED nothing. Tried turning it on and it told me about data check. A few minutes in and again the same thing. Then when I tried it wouldn't turn on for more than 2 seconds. The PS3 won't turn on from controller either. The power button is to be directly pressed and later the controller can be turned on.

If I keep it off for more than half an hour or so again it turns on normally for a minute or so and then the same thing happens. I can sign into PSN, pop in a game disc etc but after a minute it will turn off even if you are doing nothing and just staring at the menu.

What should I do?

I saw a few videos about a 10 degree twist on PSU but I am not very confident about opening it and doing it myself.

Any suggestion/help is welcome.

Get thermal paste applied. Its probably a case of dried up thermal paste. Any good ps3 repair shop would do it for 200-300rs.

Get thermal paste applied. Its probably a case of dried up thermal paste. Any good ps3 repair shop would do it for 200-300rs.

I took it to a repair shop they tried a few things. They told me very early on that it is a cpu/board issue and the chances of it working again are 50/50. They tried a different PSU to rule out that it is not the issue, then tried thermal paste and even re-soldering using some machine. Didn't work. He said it is a rare issue but once it strikes you are doomed. In short I got a brick in my hands.

I had this problem on 2015 PS3 slim. Went to service center and got a new PS3 in return.

Sony Service Center is the last place I want to go. They will upgrade me to 500 GB PS3 Super Slim but I will have to pay 70-80% of current MRP and get no extra warranty but whatever remains of the 5 years from the date of purchase and should it go bad again I will have to shell out the same amount again.

I would rather buy a whole new 12GB model and move my 1 TB HDD into it. It will get formatted anyway. The MRP is 25K but sold at most places at 22K but Sony being Sony will charge me 70-80% of 25K which is 17.5K to 20K. The 12 GB new will cost me 16K and I will get a year's warranty (plus a bit more coverage for a price). This of course is the last resort. I am currently looking for other repair shops who might be able to fix it.

What is unnerving is that Super Slim also has this issue and Slim is said to be the best iteration of PS3.

Note to self - Backup saved games at least once a month. At present I have lost almost all except the bit that was on PSN+ but I haven't synced it in months. Hope my PS3 gets repaired I don't want to patch Gran Turismo 6 again :fearscream:

Yup. This problem is common due to voltage fluctuations. The service guy instantly said my motherboard is dead and they'll send it to sony factory in bangalore. If they confirm issue, they'll issue a new one. Within 7 days, I got a new ps3.

Ofcourse if warranty nil ,then its just bad luck.

Back