Video PSA- Disable over scan in your LED TV.

6pack

ex-Mod
Got a Sanyo LED TV. Hooked up my PC and Android TV to it. First thing I noticed while playing YouTube on the Android TV was the edges disappeared out of the screen. Came closer to inspect and saw slight blur in picture. So I used scaling in the Android TV box (98%) to get it to go full screen.

I then switched to my PC and saw same over scaling. Half of the bar at bottom was gone. Couldn't see the start menu, etc. So save story here. Used scaling in AMD panel to get whole screen. You've seen the clarity in a PC monitor. So something a bit off will trigger your eyes. Dane thing happened to me. No matter what I did, like turning off sharpness or playing with brightness and contrast, the picture looked a bit soft. You could look at the text and see anti aliasing was off. I thought maybe it was the limitations of a big panel.

So today, I was searching on net and saw there was settings in led TV to switch off over scan. I searched my TV and there it was- a just scan setting besides the usual 4:3, 16:9 (set as default) and two zoom settings. I switched to it and the TV became as clear as possible. Had to undo all the changes I made in the Android TV box and PC settings. Text in PC was as clear as you get on a monitor. This over scaling was enabled on both HDMI ports. It's probably enabled on all video inputs.

So tldr- if you use the HDMI input to watch TV, just disable over scaling to get the full picture. You will get 1:1 picture and the picture will get clearer.
If you use the analog ports, just keep the setting as is. It probably won't make a difference to you.

Btw, I don't understand why a TV company would do this. Why purposely reduce picture quality like this? If it was a crt or a projector, well then I can understand. I wonder how many people use their LED TV's with over scan set at default and complain about the picture quality...

Back