PSU suggestions please !!

St.John

Disciple
Hi Everyone...

I have 2 queries that I hope I'll be able to get help on here..

a) Is a UPS very important?? I have a sine-wave inverter at home, and my current UPS's battery is dying away.. It's 3 years old BTW.. Whenever current goes off, and the inverter kicks in.. My UPS restarts the Computer.. my question is should I remove the Inverter and connect my PC directly? Should I worry about power spikes??

b) Right now I have a generic ICool 450 Watts PSU. I need to buy a new PSU, can you guys please suggest a suitable PSU considering I intend to upgrade the GPU to Radeon 5750.5770. My current config is:

Mobo : Gigabyte G31-ES2L
RAM: Kingston Jet RAM PC2-6400 2 * 2 GB
Proccy: C2D E 7500 (OC'd to 3.66 GHz @ 1.32 V)
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (2 Fans in push in-push out config)
Primary HD : Seagate 7200.11 - 500 GB SATA
Secondary HD : Seagate 7200.8 - 160 GB IDE
Sony 22x DVD Writer IDE
Cabby : Cooler Master Elite 310 (1 Exhaust + 2 Inlet Cooler Master 120 mm Fans installed {courtesy : Amarbir :hap2:})
12 in 1 Card Reader (3 1/2" Floppy Diskette slot)
GPU : POV 8600 GT 512 MB DDR2 (OC'd to 650 MHz Core, 458 MHz RAM, 1420 Shaders)

Budget is upto 3 Grands stretchable to 3.5 Max.. I guess a 500 Watt PSU might be enough but there are so many brands and then so many sub-types like Extreme Power/Real Power (CM), HX/VX (Corsair), Tagan, FSP... I am lost :S...

All your suggestions will be highly appreciated...

my question is should I remove the Inverter and connect my PC directly?

you mean UPS right??

i think you can do that but you need to have a UPS inverter as there is a small difference between a normal inverter & UPS inverter..

a normal inverter is what you have & a UPS inverter is just like a UPS with more battery backup..

as far as PSU is concerned get a Corsair VX450 for 4k.

there's a used one available in the market section too for around 3k.

Get CM RP 460W @3.5k or the VX450 (Read it somewhere that It was selling for 3.6k)

In this case, even a Gigabyte Superb will do @2.2k

I do not know much about the Gigabyte one, and some have raised issues about its efficiency and it not being a true 80+ PSU.

You can also have a look at CX400 Corsair @3k, Seasonic Bronze S12II 380Watt @2.8k

Depending on your budget,

VX450>RP 460W>CX400=Seasonic Bronze S12II 380Watt>Gigabyte Superb 460W

It all comes to your budget and if you want some upgrade headroom.

choose between gigabyte Superb 460W, corsair cx400 and Seasonic S12II 380W.

vx450 would be an overkill and over your budget..

although there is a vx450 in market section available for lil less than 3k..if you can go for it then grab it befor someone else does...the warranty on that is more than 3yrs remaining i suppose which is anyways as good as/more than any of the 3psus mention above.

Well, Thanks to all of you here.... I can stretch the budget to accomodate the the Corsair VX 450, right now I am running my rig on a borrowed 620 Watts (2 years old)... I intend to upgrade to the i5 - 750/ Radeon 5850 sometime later this year... I am into heavy video-editing now and run a lot of VM's on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit/ Ubuntu Hardy Heron...

I intend to overclock the socks out of the CPU, the GFX would run at stock... would the VX 450 suffice... I intend no PSU upgrades after the overhaul and intend to keep the rig for 3 to 4 years... I also have 4 120 mm fans running now with a Hyper 212... That'll remain the same..

Please suggest....

St.John said:
Well, Thanks to all of you here.... I can stretch the budget to accomodate the the Corsair VX 450, right now I am running my rig on a borrowed 620 Watts (2 years old)... I intend to upgrade to the i5 - 750/ Radeon 5850 sometime later this year... I am into heavy video-editing now and run a lot of VM's on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit/ Ubuntu Hardy Heron...

I intend to overclock the socks out of the CPU, the GFX would run at stock... would the VX 450 suffice... I intend no PSU upgrades after the overhaul and intend to keep the rig for 3 to 4 years... I also have 4 120 mm fans running now with a Hyper 212... That'll remain the same..

Please suggest....

Very much, VX450 can provide 570W peak. Go for it, period

But dont add anything else after all of that you have mentioned.

cooler2005 said:
i read somewhere on this forum that APC UPS does not work well with corsair PSU's...?? is that the case??

yeah i read that somewhere too...cant seem to find the thread but AFAIK he will be fine as his inverter has pure sine wave output unlike most UPSs...The Corsair psus are supposed to be incompatible with simulated sine wave under heavy load.

nuke'em said:
yeah i read that somewhere too...cant seem to find the thread but AFAIK he will be fine as his inverter has pure sine wave output unlike most UPSs...The Corsair psus are supposed to be incompatible with simulated sine wave under heavy load.

But there is a problem, and that's reason I am asking here.. I tried connecting my CPU directly without the UPS. When the current goes and the Inverter steps in.. Even then my System restarts.. BTW I am using a borrowed Corsair 620 Watts SMPS but this problem still remains.. Would attaching a UPS 800 VA Microtek to be precise, be any help...

cooler2005 said:
i read somewhere on this forum that APC UPS does not work well with corsair PSU's...?? is that the case??
This is pure myth. There are heaps of guys using APC with Corsair. I am.

St.John said:
But there is a problem, and that's reason I am asking here.. I tried connecting my CPU directly without the UPS. When the current goes and the Inverter steps in.. Even then my System restarts.. BTW I am using a borrowed Corsair 620 Watts SMPS but this problem still remains.. Would attaching a UPS 800 VA Microtek to be precise, be any help...

Yes, connecting a dedicated UPS should solve the problem. Of course it would. Probably the inverter is not able to provide the instant back up, and the computer shuts down.

Keep in mind, that most UPS are calibrated for 60-65% load. So your 800VA should be able to provide roughly backup to 520W. So if you mount a system load of 600W on your 800VA UPS, and the lights go, you shall have a system shut down. The 600W I mentioned, is the LOAD you computer is drawing from the wall socket --- via the UPS.

asingh said:
This is pure myth. There are heaps of guys using APC with Corsair. I am.

Yes, connecting a dedicated UPS should solve the problem. Of course it would. Probably the inverter is not able to provide the instant back up, and the computer shuts down.

Keep in mind, that most UPS are calibrated for 60-65% load. So your 800VA should be able to provide roughly backup to 520W. So if you mount a system load of 600W on your 800VA UPS, and the lights go, you shall have a system shut down. The 600W I mentioned, is the LOAD you computer is drawing from the wall socket --- via the UPS.

it is not a myth just because it is working well for you/some.

the issue is with sine wave inverters.

corsair psus which employ Active PFC like clean sine wave. and there are issues in cases whether the ups is not capable of producing a clean sine wave (generally because it is a stepped approximation to produce a sine wave out of DC step source...)

Edited:

here you go..

actual confirmation from APC

also found this on corsair forum

Madnav, I meant the myth, part, where Cooler205 had said about "APC not working with Corsair". Are there not tons of guys, here using the same combination..? Yes, most people say pure sine wave for the Corsair PSUs, but its quite debatable if this is really mandate.

Here a post I had put in which dabbles on pure sine wave requirements. It has a link to another JohnnyGuru thread.

i do not mean to offend what you said.

rather he was just asking if that is the case..(i believe he is not clear about it)

and im trying to point out that it is rather a possibility for which even APC can't decide the odds.

i think there have been many such cases on this very forum..(if i remember correctly, even gannu had similar issue)

^^

Hey..I never took any offense. Seriously. Yes, it is true there have been cases of the PSU not working correctly with non-pure sine wave UPS units. I apologize, if my language/tone seemed defensive. Though not to side track this thread, even if APC cannot decide, then we have a dilemma -- that to concerning PSUs.

Again, no offense taken, sir.

^^

hmmm...so i guess...i should change the UPS to Microtek as i would be going for corsair 450VA....Microtek i've heard can work with anything...:hap2:

PS: would post my final rig soon...:D
EDIT : But, u know what... i would want to keep APC.., any recommendations for PSU's.. ?? :)

Back