Queries - Acer or Sony?

I thought you were comparing a 1366x768 display against a 1920x1080 one :) Or were you just comparing the ATI GPUs themselves?

My thinking is that whether you want gaming or movies its better to just get the Acer because 1920x1080 isnt that much better for movies and might actually be worse for gaming because the mobile GPU cannot keep up with full HD resolution anyway! haha

So Acer FTW - sad for me because I'm a Sony fanboi - if I had 50k to burn I would get the E-B16 but for thoughtful buyers on budgets the Acers are the best at the moment. Same for Dell only the people who like the brand should go for those New Inspiron 15 models... IMHO

I'm sure more choices will appear in the next few months, so it would be wise to wait for a few months for options/deals to come... maybe Diwali time offers?

Sei said:
Care to elaborate?

As to your other query, no there is not. At least in the Indian scenario.

My friend told me about his optical drive misbehaving and the same problem has been encountered by others as well. Anyway, I guess someone pointed out that Acer also gives similar problems. Hence there is no point giving two hoots regarding this.

Regarding the displays - I'm a programmer, infact a Computer Engineering student, so how is Sony's Full HD screen superior in displaying text than Acer's?
or if I may save the time and energy, objectively, is Acer's screen bad for reading loads of text,pdfs ?

Someone pointed out Dell Inspiron 15 - isn't the graphics card a huge let down as compared to Acer's 5650?
Though, i would love to buy an Inspiron or Studio with 5650!! But I guess Dell doesn't give 5650 as an option, isn't it?

Hey guys!
I paid a visit to the Vijay Sales store near by today.
They said Acer 5740G core i5,4GB,5650-1GB,win 7 would cost @ 44990 and if I pay in installments (which I plan to) I'll be charged 7.5% interest rate.
that is a total of around 48.5K.

How much is ATI 5470-1GB (Studio 15) inferior to ATI 5650 (Acer 5740G) for gaming?
Is there no Dell laptop around 50K which has a decent discrete graphics card?

:clap: after a lot of research I bought DELL Inspiron 15" with i5 core processor and 512 MB ATI graphics card with 1 yr complete cover and one BT mouse free. Will upgrade the cover/warranty shortwhile. Thanks to TE members

Sony EB14 - only drawback was battery life ...... its too low guys!

Acer 5740G - issues with warranty and laptop screen

P.S.: I will add a brief review soon, considering that I am a medical person not a technical geek .... it will be real brief review ;)

dragon said:
:clap: after a lot of research I bought DELL Inspiron 15" with i5 core processor and 512 MB ATI graphics card with 1 yr complete cover and one BT mouse free. Will upgrade the cover/warranty shortwhile. Thanks to TE members

Sony EB14 - only drawback was battery life ...... its too low guys!

Acer 5740G - issues with warranty and laptop screen

P.S.: I will add a brief review soon, considering that I am a medical person not a technical geek .... it will be real brief review ;)

Congrats mate!
What's the price?
And the discrete graphics card is ATI 4330 or 4570?

On a side note - Acer 5740G-what issues with the laptop screen? I thought that dead pixel issue was with the Sony EB14.

dead pixel issue is present with both Sony and Acer (models 4740, 5740 and 5740G, personally I know 3 persons having the same issue and about Acer warranty ..... in one word its pathetic!). Search for the issue, one TE user is facing the same problem

Back