Query reg WiFi router

Argus

Adept
What I currently have : Im using BSNL broadband along with Huawei 880 adsl modem which BSNL provides. It has a slot for plugging in the RJ11 jack (for b'band) and one RJ45 (ethernet) port for connecting to PC.

What I want : I want to purchase a cheap WiFi router so that I can share net with bet my pc and lappy. But before I blindly purchase any router, I need to know, do most Wifi routers come with a RJ11 socket as as standard interface. Am asking regarding NetGear WGT624 particularly.

The modem/router I am looking to upgrade to is Huawei Wa1003a which is a cheap chinese router/modem provided by BSNL itself at Rs.1984 (tax included). I know for sure that it comes with a RJ11 interface.

My query : What other low cost options do I have besides Huawei Wa1003a.

Kindly help me in making the purchase decision :)

How silly of me :p never occurred I cud keep one :eek:hyeah: (I have two of em actually)

Still, I would prefer to have less clutter and moreover I was thinking of selling my Huawei 880 adsl modems @Rs.800 each. So even if I retain one of my modems, I'd be using it merely as RJ11 to RJ45 converter at the cost of 800 bucks. BTW, do we have such converters available in the market separately ?

So i'd still prefer a low cost WiFi router with both RJ11 AND RJ45 interface otherwise, thanks to Chaos, I at least have the choice of using my existing modem as a converter.

Huawei 880 adsl modems @Rs.800

I'd buy one (assuming it works with airtel)

I'd be using it merely as RJ11 to RJ45 converter at the cost of 800 bucks.

It's not merely a RJ-11 to RJ45 converter...it handles the entire modulation-demodulation mechanism and the authentication protocol...

I'd strongly suggest Using a discrete ADSL modem with a discrete standard wireless router...Just run a RJ45 from the LAN port of the modem to the WAN RJ45 port on the wireless router

I think evilution is trying to sell a Linksys Wireless routerfor a decent price...Else you can always get a new one (Linksys/Netgear/Belkin) for a fairly reasonable price (maybe 2.5K?)

You still will be needing the modem to dial to the ISP. The router work is to route the packets or in simple terms distribute the internet. Most Wifi routers(99.99%) only support dialing through RASPPPOE, which is sort of emulated dial up over LAN network. I doubt there would be a hybrid router which also intergrates a modem inside.

@Argus

I will get back to you by tomo.

superczar said:
I'd buy one (assuming it works with airtel)
It has a slot for plugging in the RJ11 jack (for b'band) and one RJ45 (ethernet) port for connecting to PC. Link to manual

I'd strongly suggest Using a discrete ADSL modem with a discrete standard wireless router . . .
Okay, will retain one modem then.

@evilution : Would look fwd to ur reply mate :)

Guys, please suggest name/model of a few low-cost WiFi routers. I need to get one ASAP and im having a hard time getting one at good rates in my city. Will probably have my friend in Delhi collect it for me. So I need to tell him the router's name/model. Please help.

@evilution : Still waiting for ur reply.

Go for Any Linksys /D-Link/Netgear/Belkin router..they are all pretty much the same...

Opt for standard 802.11b/g routers and do not be lured by non-standard proprietary protocols (pre-N, Super G etc.) that promise anything higher than a 54mbps link....Not only do you pay extra for them, you also lose stability...

Expect to pay between 1.7-2.4K for a decent router

Back