Audio Question: Audio Set-up for tests

soulweaver

Nice is Free
Patron
I want to set up a room for running some academic tests which have a listening module. I do not have any clue as to how to go about it. Any inputs would be appreciated.

I want to use wireless headphones, and I want the same audio stream to be routed to all the headphones from a single source (computer / cd player / tablet).

Can we do it regular headsets or is there a specific set up that is needed for such things?

I have seen some tests like these being conducted in the British Council testing centres for IELTS and also in some British Library branches within small rooms. I never had the time to inspect them. I will see if I can get access to them, but would still like to know if there is anything cost effective that can be done.

Thank you!

If the wireless headphones are RF based, usually tuning them into the same band will be enough.

If the transmitter cannot keep up (has insufficient transmit power) you may need to parallel their inputs. A Y-cable should allow two transmitter units, which should be all right for four headphones. Needless to say the two should be at different frequencies.

Most cheap solutions use FM for the cans and you tune it into a vacant band. Terribly noisy and lo-fi, but works all right if you are looking for a cheap solution and not too worried about performance.

The pros use a distribution hub and intelligent transmit/receive pairs with enough transmit power for quite a few units. This kind of thing costs quite a bit of money, probably in the $4000 range.

If the wireless headphones are RF based, usually tuning them into the same band will be enough.

If the transmitter cannot keep up (has insufficient transmit power) you may need to parallel their inputs. A Y-cable should allow two transmitter units, which should be all right for four headphones. Needless to say the two should be at different frequencies.

Most cheap solutions use FM for the cans and you tune it into a vacant band. Terribly noisy and lo-fi, but works all right if you are looking for a cheap solution and not too worried about performance.

The pros use a distribution hub and intelligent transmit/receive pairs with enough transmit power for quite a few units. This kind of thing costs quite a bit of money, probably in the $4000 range.

Damn! For a person who builds PCs and Model Planes, what you have just said made no sense. I will read through one more time and try to make sense. But, could you explain stuff in Non-audiophile please?

OR

Place a couple of links to these products, if there would be any?

Wireless headphones come in three types.

1. Optical. Needs direct line of sight. These are usually around the Rs. 1k mark. There is no power issue but the line of sight is very critical and the loss is quite large when you go off-line (visually): http://www.flipkart.com/philips-shc...ones&ref=7b307c74-3c40-4477-a80a-44b7b9e64f5d

2. FM based. These use a FM modulator and receiver, so the headphones pick up FM stations as well as any other FM transmissions in the area. The transmitter is usually set to a vacant frequency and the headphones are tuned into that. One transmitter can usually put out enough power for two pairs of phones. These should be similar in cost to the LED-based ones, both are quite poor in quality: http://www.flipkart.com/intex-wirel...ones&ref=c0052e46-7881-47c7-b4f9-fd821118e856

3. RF based, the most pricey ones, start at around 5k. They use the 2.4GHz consumer band (and hence also interfere with other devices in the same band such as cordless phones). There are probably cheaper ones available from lesser known/Chinese brands. Not sure. They may put out a bit more power and be much better in terms of sound quality. Can probably power three sets of cans, but you'll need to buy them as a full set (transmitter+headphone) so get no cost saving: http://www.flipkart.com/akg-k-912-w...ones&ref=b8d56afb-a6d9-49bd-8eea-fc59fc52dc83

Back