Car & Bike R15 tyre issue.

Rahul++

SuperUser
Skilled
Hey,
I'm very happy owner of R15. But around 3-4 days ago, I had bumped the bike into a pothole. The mag wheel was bent. Yesterday, I repaired the mag wheel. Yamaha service center guy removed the tyre and saw that tyre has a big tear cut which can't be repaired. He told me to change tyre and ask for tyre from MRF showroom/dealers.

I asked all dealers and tyre sellers in city but everyone has same answer, "MRF is not supplying 80/90-17 size zapper tyres anymore" then I asked about different brand and same tyre but no one has that tyre in stock.

I called up Yamaha again, they told that you'll have to put 90/90-17 (default rear tyre on front) and bigger rear tyre. I can't change the tyres like that, I love the way my bike is and don't wanna mess it up.

I just want to know, is MRF really stopped that size Zapper production?
If yes, how can they, if some vehicles are still using it?

If no then I'm ready to bring tyre from Pune or Mumbai. Please Help me guys. I love my bike, I don't want to mess it.
:huh: :(

MRF 98/80 R17 aka R15 front tyre is easily available in Mumbai. I bought it couple of weeks ago.

and no MRF hasn't stopped production of it. It's just that the demand from the Motorcycle manufactures, eg Bajaj, HH, Honda, Yamaha, is enough to buy all of the production. Infact, except TVS everybody else use MRF tyres.

not only R15, but Bajaj 220/200/180 's tubeless tyre are nowhere to be found.

I think you should wait for the MRF stock or buya soft compound tyre from foreign manufacturers eg Michelin, IRC, pirelli

Dunlops are no good.

Till then, if ur current tyre has enough tread and the cut is not a major one, put a tube in it and ride sensibly ( i mean below 120 KMPH :) )
BTW if possible put a photo of the sidewall here.

Hi, thanks for quick responses.

@geek ashish, can you please give me address from where you purchased that tyre in Mumbai? I can arrange to bring it from there..

Cut is very major, and is about more than 10-12cm.. Can't put a tube inside it as I'm speed lover, always go over 125kmph on highways.

The front tyre is a 90/80-17? I will try to find out what the status on that is.

It isnt stopped for sure. Just that, MRF is unable to meet the market demands for most 2 wheeler and car tyre sizes nowadays.

Michelin branded TVS tyres will be hitting the markets sometime soon :) . Even in 17". Something to wait for eagerly!

I bought a R15 front tyre from the showroom for 750rs 1.5 years back :p whe there was this madness for fat tyres, noobs put in new fat tures before they took the bike from the showroom

@SMD - Checked all shops, and finally decided to put a 90/90-17. Little broad tyre but looks very good, handling is almost same, no idea about deduction in average. :hap2:

@all -

This incident made me to do two major things,

1. Change tyre and to ride the bike with pride once again. :hap2:

2. Forwarded complaints against city Authorized Yamaha Dealers and Service center to Head office, India Yamaha Motor Pvt. Ltd. containing proof showing nonprofessional and unexperienced workers working in Service center and their misbehavior with customers. They just don't know a sh*t of bikes and also provide simply unsatisfying service.

YSC here don't know company recommendation for bike. They always use some cheap chain oil to lubricate the chain, cheap engine oil instead of recommended engine oil (yamalube). No customer check what they used, what they don't. That directly affect life of the bike engine. I'll check India Yamaha Motor Pvt. Ltd. response, if it is not satisfying, I'm gonna file a Consumer complaint against company in Consumer Court.

It's not just about me, it's about all Yamaha customers, who trusted Yamaha and purchased bikes. I hope I'm doing right thing

Back