Graphic Cards Radeon HD5770 on Athlon x2 64 4000+?

arn10485

Disciple
I have Athlon x2 4000+, and 8600GTS.

I currently get 25-30fps on GRID @1024x768, though older games like GTA San Andreas or FEAR run super smooth.

I am planning to upgrade to HD5770. Will I see substantial improvement in framerate even if I keep the current CPU? Can I expect to play games at 1920x1080? A friend asked me to upgrade the CPU to see real benefits of the card, but I have seen many recent games like R.U.S.E. still ask for Athlon x2 3600+ as system specs. So I am confused!

If the current CPU is insufficient, my motherboard supports till Phenom x4 9750, though at reduced transfer speed of 1000MT/s - will I get good rates there? (I am currently looking for that CPU now though I still can't seem to find it anywhere.)

Thanks

look no further than HD4670 with that CPU.

And wouldnt suggest much beyond with that psu either.

in best case maybe an athlon II X2 250 to replace current one...that is considering your board supports am3 which it should with bios update.

how near when you mean near future?

because if it is like 6months then that would be bad idea.

5770 will drop to 7k range by then and worst part is that you wont use it to potential till then.

if near, is like one month then probably good choice.

if more than that, then get 2nd hand 4670, play, sell with not so high loss when you want to upgrade cpu board ram gpi and psu.

If you're going to be playing at 1920*1080 then get a 5770.
There's no way anything less than a 5750 would be able to handle that resolution. But you'd need to upgrade your psu as well. I don't think your CM 390 extreme will be able to handle a 5770.

While your cpu might bottle neck your card, you'll still get much better performance (>2x) with a 5770 than a 4670, at much higher image quality settings. A 4670 isn't much of an upgrade from what you've currently got, and not worth it, in my opinion.

Thanks. The maximum the motherboard supports is Phenom 9750, and Athlon X2 7750. It doesn't yet seem to support Phenom II's even though a few of them are AM2+, I don't know why! There is a version of the BIOS still in beta (v F10) - may be they are adding support there.

I think then I will go ahead with the 5770 - if I still find the performance inadequate then I will immediately (within a month) upgrade the MB+CPU both. My hunch is older games like GRID and GTA IV should work well (based on their quoted requirements), but recent games like DIRT 2 will require a processor upgrade.

Try upgrading the cpu first. Just plug in an AM2+/AM3 cpu. If it works, great. If not, then get a new motherboard.

I mean, upgrade the gpu, and when you want to do a cpu upgrade, then do it this way.
If you're going to buy a new m/b+cpu, it may be better to go the intel route.

I was also thinking about Intel now - pricewise there doesn't seem to be much of difference anymore. It may be difficult for me to get hold of a Phenom II just to try out - but I will if I can.

How much wattage would you recommend for the PSU when I upgrade that, if it were to be enough for the possible future upgrades of the computer too?

Cheers

arn10485 said:
I was also thinking about Intel now - pricewise there doesn't seem to be much of difference anymore. It may be difficult for me to get hold of a Phenom II just to try out - but I will if I can.

How much wattage would you recommend for the PSU when I upgrade that, if it were to be enough for the possible future upgrades of the computer too?

Cheers
A Corsair CX400~2.7k would suffice if u are going for a HD5770 and a Processor with 65w-95w TDP.

arn10485 said:
I have Athlon x2 4000+, and 8600GTS.

I currently get 25-30fps on GRID @1024x768, though older games like GTA San Andreas or FEAR run super smooth.

I am planning to upgrade to HD5770. Will I see substantial improvement in framerate even if I keep the current CPU? Can I expect to play games at 1920x1080? A friend asked me to upgrade the CPU to see real benefits of the card, but I have seen many recent games like R.U.S.E. still ask for Athlon x2 3600+ as system specs. So I am confused!

If the current CPU is insufficient, my motherboard supports till Phenom x4 9750, though at reduced transfer speed of 1000MT/s - will I get good rates there? (I am currently looking for that CPU now though I still can't seem to find it anywhere.)

Thanks
think u can add a Athlon II

Go for nothing more than a HD5670 for 1024x728 resolution.

Back