Rahul Gandhi on Rs 12K minimum income plan for poor

No he hasn't.
This is what I hate most about these discussions these days. You are claiming something which I know is not true because I am talking about my own life experience. And you have the audacity to tell me that I am wrong. How has he delivered electricity to all, as you said in your post, when I am telling you I don't get it even after spending 75k of my own money to get a transformer installed.

had you gone through official channels,you would not have to pay for transformer.you are first case where end client has paid for transformer.
people in my area get transformer installed for their collective farm electricity but via political influence without paying 75000.
in your case,it must be your private transformer.

what I am talking is village electrification which modi has achieved and its well substantiated by Bloomberg and other international agency.

you are trying to == two total different subjects.

I am talking about village electrification and you are trying about your personal electrification of your property..

had you gone through official channels,you would not have to pay for transformer.you are first case where end client has paid for transformer.
people in my area get transformer installed for their collective farm electricity but via political influence without paying 75000.
in your case,it must be your private transformer.

what I am talking is village electrification which modi has achieved and its well substantiated by Bloomberg and other international agency.

you are trying to == two total different subjects.

I am talking about village electrification and you are trying about your personal electrification of your property..
The whole village doesn't get more than 12hrs of electricity supply.

The whole village doesn't get more than 12hrs of electricity supply.
whoever is your political leader , you and your village leader need to confront him rather than talking on forum
our village guys confronted our local political leader and got work done.
can you all go and ask him why you dont get electricity.

I am happy that you at least accepted your village get electricity and did not blame modi govt for it.

whoever is your political leader , you and your village leader need to confront him rather than talking on forum
our village guys confronted our local political leader and got work done.
can you all go and ask him why you dont get electricity.

I am happy that you at least accepted your village get electricity and did not blame modi govt for it.

Because that is how it is in the whole state of Haryana. There are a very few areas which get uninterrupted supply of electricity. And the village has been getting electricity since 1960s. It's just that there has been barely any improvement in the supply. It's a collective failure of all those who have been in power in that state that a village still gets only 6-12hrs of electricity when it used to get similar amount in the 1960s when it was first electrified.

its your collective failure that you can not ask your leader answer for your problem.your villagers must be voting for whoever pays them money and biryani at polling night.unless you change that,no one can help your village.

its your collective failure that you can not ask your leader answer for your problem.your villagers must be voting for whoever pays them money and biryani at polling night.unless you change that,no one can help your village.
You actually make my point for me.

They've had governments of every possible party since 1960s so that would make it everyone of them has been a failure. But I like how you think it is the failure of the people who have kept voting for different governments as that is all they have power over.
This is exactly why I feel there should be some sort of legal agreement so politicians and people like you can't insult me on my face by telling me that it is my mistake that I didn't ask them to do their jobs. Why do you think I elected them in the first place. To do their jobs and fulfill the promises they make. What do you want me to do apart from electing them? I have no legal recourse to make them fulfill their promises.

What do you want me to do apart from electing them
why cant you guys unite and ask for what was done for your electricity problem?
if you meet them with your demands and keep regular follow ups,who wont do your work?
its collective failure of your local political party.

you vote them and you have all the rights to ask them what was done for your problem.

if you dont question them and keep following up regularly with action taken report.
who will bother about your problem?

this is how we got our work done from our politicians.no one is sitting their to do your work.
you have to demand and get it done.
armchair activism works only till certain extent.

Eaxactly, a year ago discussed here

Once the connection to the village is done its up to local govt to deliver said electricity.

Power is a concurrent subject

Last edited:
I also think winning candidates should be legally bound to their promises. They can sign the agreement when submitting their papers.

You are expecting that people who don't give a damn about lying on self attested affidavits that could not only disqualify them form elections or elected roles, but also makes them legally liable for lying under oath and punishable with a jail sentence are going to give a damn about election promises just because they will sign a legal document. Lets get real. 100% of BJP and congress politicians file bogus income tax returns and lie on their election affidavits. lie under oath.

why cant you guys unite and ask for what was done for your electricity problem?
if you meet them with your demands and keep regular follow ups,who wont do your work?
its collective failure of your local political party.

you vote them and you have all the rights to ask them what was done for your problem.

if you dont question them and keep following up regularly with action taken report.
who will bother about your problem?

this is how we got our work done from our politicians.no one is sitting their to do your work.
you have to demand and get it done.
armchair activism works only till certain extent.
Why do I need to do that?
It is actually my right, that the job has to be done without me asking for it. It is their job, but the issue is that they are not doing their job properly and you are OK with them making me run around them to get them to do their job which they should have already been doing.
For you, it might be ok that people who are elected and paid for a job, don't do it and you then run around them to get the job done. I don't feel that is the right attitude and hence would rather have them commit to legal agreements. That, as Lord Nemesis, has pointed out, is never going to happen and I know that too. It's just a point I wanted to make because we were discussing about frivolous claims that political parties make. Now I realize that I should have kept on ignoring such topics as some people are too defensive to judge and reply based on the logic of the argument like in a normal discussion.

Why do I need to do that?
It is actually my right, that the job has to be done without me asking for it. It is their job, but the issue is that they are not doing their job properly and you are OK with them making me run around them to get them to do their job which they should have already been doing.
For you, it might be ok that people who are elected and paid for a job, don't do it and you then run around them to get the job done. I don't feel that is the right attitude and hence would rather have them commit to legal agreements. That, as Lord Nemesis, has pointed out, is never going to happen and I know that too. It's just a point I wanted to make because we were discussing about frivolous claims that political parties make. Now I realize that I should have kept on ignoring such topics as some people are too defensive to judge and reply based on the logic of the argument like in a normal discussion.
How else do you solve your problem ? make a scene. Think of ways to hold their feet to the fire. This is clearly a lack of governance which is a problem in many places.

Nothing improves unless people demand it.

Now i agree you shouldn't have to do it but your situation is desperate if as you say successive govts have not been able to resolve it.

Hazare's claim to fame is he improved farming in his village by getting govt to provide better irrigation. This went on for many years.

Getting electricity has got to be easier than water.

What is weird is that the same sort of people who except that you run around politicians just to make them perform their basic duties towards the citizens for which they are voted in also except that you do not question them. If you raise questions or criticize these politicians, you are labeled an anti-national.

Elected leaders need to perform their duties without anybody running around in circles for it. They don't need to be praised for doing what is their duty for which they are paid for. They only need to be criticized for what they don't do and questioned at every turn. That is the duty of every citizen.

Here in my city, it took 6 months of online and offline campaigning to get the local MLA to lay roads before our township which is pretty close to the IT hub and that too, it happened only because it was election time and they have to come and seek votes. People in my society were so pleased and happy with the politician that they got a road after more than 6 months of begging that they went in droves and voted for the same guy. Do you think they will give a damn for the next 4.5 years?

So, I find fault with the attitude of the people for them to think that this sort of behavior from politicians is considered normal.

How else do you solve your problem ? make a scene. Think of ways to hold their feet to the fire. This is clearly a lack of governance which is a problem in many places.

Now i agree you shouldn't have to do it but your situation is desperate if as you say successive govts have not been able to resolve it.

Nothing improves unless people demand it.

Thank you for at least recognizing that I shouldn't have to ask for what is already my right.
I actually do make a scene and in most cases I eventually get the govt employees to get to do the work properly as they should be doing in the first place. However it takes a lot of toll on a person to deal with such situations, especially for someone like me, who is very easily enraged when around incompetent people.
I just don't like that people are now feeling OK with this attitude of govt employees and politicians.
The village example I gave is of my mother's village in Haryana so the situation is only desperate for me when I am visiting. The locals have not been able to get any govt to improve the state of electricity supply as the situation is not much dissimilar in many villages/towns of rural Haryana. The govt doesn't seem to have rural areas on it's development agenda and situation is definitely different for city-dwellers.

People have cried themselves hoarse when making their demands against many governments. Sadly the attitude doesn't change. So I would prefer we have a more sound footing with a legal agreement in place. Because unless we have a way to hold them accountable, the situation is not going to change.

The bus stand shelters in Bangalore have the name of the local politician prominently displayed as if they are doing citizens a favor in allowing funds to be used to construct bus stand shelters.

What is a normal part of a politicians job in every other country is considered some great favor done by the political class for its subjects

We have to change our thinking.

The bus stand shelters in Bangalore have the name of the local politician prominently displayed as if they are doing citizens a favor in allowing funds to be used to construct bus stand shelters.

What is a normal part of a politicians job in every other country is considered some great favor done by the political class for its subjects

We have to change our thinking.
They always do this when any initiative is announced. Then when the question of maintenance comes up nobody is present. So things are built and fall into disrepair. I'm apprehending that maintenance is a bad word in India.

I actually do make a scene and in most cases I eventually get the govt employees to get to do the work properly as they should be doing in the first place. However it takes a lot of toll on a person to deal with such situations, especially for someone like me, who is very easily enraged when around incompetent people.

I just don't like that people are now feeling OK with this attitude of govt employees and politicians.
Sometimes all it takes is just one person to do the right thing. But this is not one of those times. These people see just one person complaining and think only this guy has a problem rest are satisfied, there is no downside so they will humour you. More people means strength means loss of votes means higher ups get involved. Things then start moving.

The village example I gave is of my mother's village in Haryana so the situation is only desperate for me when I am visiting. The locals have not been able to get any govt to improve the state of electricity supply as the situation is not much dissimilar in many villages/towns of rural Haryana. The govt doesn't seem to have rural areas on it's development agenda and situation is definitely different for city-dwellers.

People have cried themselves hoarse when making their demands against many governments. Sadly the attitude doesn't change. So I would prefer we have a more sound footing with a legal agreement in place. Because unless we have a way to hold them accountable, the situation is not going to change.
How is the recovery in these areas ? if people are behind on bills then it becomes unprofitable. At election times people start agitating and then govts forgive debts. The net result is ESCOMS survive on life support. Some places do better by allowing more competition but for a lot of people there is only the state escom and according to AAP people money gets diverted for other purposes instead of delivering power to the people. That is a whole other angle. Over charge, under deliver, escom is a cash cow for something else and nothing improves.

63f49c10285c01f425a9ec1738b160db.jpg

I am talking about maharashtra about electricty,
we are facing little to no electricity cuts.

ha ha ha ha ha. lol. Which Maharashtra you're living in? Come to Vasai -Virar - Palghar area. There has been electricity cuts for 3-6 hours everyday from February itself. Just go to MSEDC website and look at the load shedding pdf they put up. You will see lots of places having 4+ hours load shedding every day. Just Mumbai has no power cuts because MSEDC gives them power by taking it from us MSEDC power consumers and giving it to Tata/ Reliance BSES consumers so you guys can run your ac 24/7 now in summer while rest of Maharashtra suffers power cuts and cooks in 35C heat.

Back