Rahul Gandhi on Rs 12K minimum income plan for poor

ha ha ha ha ha. lol. Which Maharashtra you're living in? Come to Vasai -Virar - Palghar area. There has been electricity cuts for 3-6 hours everyday from February itself. Just go to MSEDC website and look at the load shedding pdf they put up. You will see lots of places having 4+ hours load shedding every day. Just Mumbai has no power cuts because MSEDC gives them power by taking it from us MSEDC power consumers and giving it to Tata/ Reliance BSES consumers so you guys can run your ac 24/7 now in summer while rest of Maharashtra suffers power cuts and cooks in 35C heat.

Actually, some places do not face much in the way of cuts. However, the vast majority are under load shedding, maybe even daily.[DOUBLEPOST=1553701892][/DOUBLEPOST]
You know, it was never said by Modi ji.. its all fake information floated by opposition parties;) Am i correct ? @blr_p @pratikb

LOL /S

Tell me which poll promise has not been met by upa govt.

The same promise that RaGa is playing now like a pied piper and all those who are following him. It has not happened since ages. I believe it has been a keystone since the grand old party was formed.

As for the minimum income plan, I am not sure what they are proposing is good, considering that even in foreign countries it has not been a success. And here, people will find ways to drink with that money.

<merged>

I am talking about maharashtra about electricty,
we are facing little to no electricity cuts.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...time-Energy-minister/articleshow/50935025.cms

you may not be aware,one island next to mumbai was still witout electricity.it got electricity under modi govt.

https://www.businesstoday.in/curren...tion-greatest-success-story/story/290375.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...jects-power-surplus-after-two-years-of-misses

Just waiting for Modi to come to the remaining pockets which have little or no electricity. Oh, what the hell, lets call him Lightning Man![DOUBLEPOST=1553702992][/DOUBLEPOST]
Loan waivers to the farmers in states Cong won.

Not really. To the best of my knowledge, its shown as loan waivers to all, and then conditions are coming in while claiming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just waiting for Modi to come to the remaining pockets which have little or no electricity. Oh, what the hell, lets call him Lightning Man![DOUBLEPOST=1553702992][/DOUBLEPOST]

Not really. To the best of my knowledge, its shown as loan waivers to all, and then conditions are coming in while claiming.
The devil is in the details .

damn, if they win and they pass this scheme, it will be another extra cess on every bill. Any FM coming just keeps adding cess after cess on top of tax to get more money out of people.

No, it wont be raised via cess. They plan to tax the middle income which has no voice. They cannot tax the rich as they will burn their hands and with GST, they cannot play anything there.[DOUBLEPOST=1553703306][/DOUBLEPOST]
Indira Gandhi did the "Garibi Hatao" thing in the 70s if it succeeded we wouldn't need this scheme now. right?

It was Garibi Hatao and then Garibon ko Hatao by the future generations :p[DOUBLEPOST=1553706466][/DOUBLEPOST]
The devil is in the details .

True. But the main issue is that those who were expecting the loan waivers may not have got them. Or that you were expecting 15 lacs.

Last edited:
Let me try to bring the discussion back on topic.

Indian politician have been trying to remove poverty for a long time. Who can forget Indira Gandhi's "Garibi Hatao" slogan? (which btw was constantly mocked as "Garib ko hatao" as in remove the poor after emergency).

The other populist formula has been farmer loan waiver. First it happened back in the 90s by VP Singh government (who btw has the grandmaster of appeasement politics). It was supposed to be a one-time thing. Farmers get their burdened debt written off and now can move on with their lives. But what happened? Depending on what you read - The Hindu or ET both of them were either resounding success or abject failure.

UPA promised another one in 2009 for their 2nd term. Then like an never ending sequel, it has come up again last year - from both BJP and UPA. Our farmers need help but isn't it curious that why do governments keep announcing loan waivers? One hypothesis is that this is an easy way to get votes. But I think this goes beyond that:

One, the implementation of these waivers has been terrible - many rich farmers get undeserved waivers under such schemes.

Second, while loan waivers help farmers write off debts but it doesn't provide farmers enough to keep their livelihood going. There are still no effective plans for re-education like evening classes etc - on farming or general education like reading/writing. So, not only the crops suffer farmers frequently approach brokers who charge an extra 10-15% to get loans.

Three, government help on the crop front hasn't been great either - technology or otherwise. One of the agriculture surveys has recently been started in Karnataka after couple of decades. In the meantime both BJP and Congress had their governments and did nothing. The minimum support prices which is applicable only for certain crops. Food Security Bill has done no favors either because it has tied up the MSP with cereal crops even more. So, farmers growing non-cereal crops are facing hard times.

Now if we talk about this particular plan - without an actual implementation steps this is a simplistic political propaganda. And reading stuff like we will give 6k more for people earning 6k makes you question on how the 6k initial base was calculated?

Is he saying that Indian poverty starts at 3 dollars a day (200INR per day) ?
Rangarajan report which uses 972 per month base says 363 million or 29.5% of population falls under that ambit back in 2011/12.

What about people who aren't earning 6k?

There are many more concerns but we have to wait and see if UPA's another attempt at appeasement politics (first being farmer loan waiver in 2009) works and gets them into power. Then we can talk about actual implementation.

What about people who aren't earning 6k?

I read somewhere that they are only going to give it to women and directly into their bank accounts. So men are not even counted when men make up the majority of unskilled labourers and wage earners. So by default they have a very narrow view of whom to give the money to.

Nothing has been said of the jobless youth - men and women both. Or old people, etc. In short, no thought has been put into this election gimmick.

I read somewhere that they are only going to give it to women and directly into their bank accounts. So men are not even counted when men make up the majority of unskilled labourers and wage earners. So by default they have a very narrow view of whom to give the money to.

Nothing has been said of the jobless youth - men and women both. Or old people, etc. In short, no thought has been put into this election gimmick.
There is reason for giving it to a woman of the house. Think.

There is reason for giving it to a woman of the house. Think.

Think what? You mean to say all men are bad and drink away the free money? Or they waste it on prostitution or other things? Prejudiced much? Don't women drink or waste money on jewellery? What's to say they wont collect that money to buy jewellery etc instead of using it on food or anything else? Or it can also lead to family disputes where husband will beat women to give him the money. Once money goes out of govt's hand they won't know how people will spend it.

I know there may be reason to give money to women to run the house, but not everyone is married. There are more single men now due to female infanticide in rural areas. Is it right to discriminate on whom to give money to? So let all the men and boys who don't earn anything die of hunger? Or let them go to hell or become bad in desperation and start robbery or scams etc? If govt won't help them in their time of need then what reason do they have to stay on the right path when everyone's kicking them?

what I am talking is village electrification which modi has achieved and its well substantiated by Bloomberg and other international agency.

you are trying to == two total different subjects.

Yes, well substantiated indeed like in this link right?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suparn...ion-homes-are-still-in-the-dark/#1b26df863bae

Do you know the criteria used for defining a village to have been electrified? Here it is.

Issued by MOP, vide their letter No. 42/1/2001-D(RE) dated 5th February 2004 and its corrigendum vide letter no. 42/1/2001-D(RE) dated 17th February 2004.) As per the new definition, a village would be declared as electrified, if :
  • Basic infrastructure such as Distribution Transformer and Distribution lines are provided in the inhabited locality as well as the Dalit Basti hamlet where it exists.
  • Electricity is provided to public places like Schools,Panchayat Office,Health Centers,Dispensaries,Community centers etc.
  • The number of households electrified should be at least 10% of the total number of households in the village.
Do you observe how there is no criteria that defines how many hours electricity has to be supplied? Do you also know that the last criteria is not even followed in recent years. It is good enough to glow a bulb for 5 min in the village community center and declare the village as electrified.

Do you also know that the electrification percentage based on this criteria was already at 95% before Modi took over and declared it 100%?

Here are also some numbers on rates of electrification per year as well. By the time Modi took over, there were only 18,000 villages remaining to be electrified as per the criteria chosen and he took 4 years to finish that.

upload_2019-3-29_10-49-47.png

Despite what these parties claim based on this laughable criteria, only 8-10% of rural folk have access to electricity in the country. Many of them do not have power for up to 12 hours.

But special props to Modi for taking 95% to 100% at a snails pace and then conveniently only announcing the 100% electrification without mentioning the criteria or the fact that 95% of the work as already been done before he came in.

Last edited:
As if men will die of hunger. What stupid logic. Men will get money for their work.
NYAY is like top up. Not connected with work done . Yaar think before spouting like a bhakt

Ohhhh!!!! So only you can think and rest of us spout nonsense? lol.

Tell me then. What happens if monthly earning is 0 due to disability or accident or some unknown factor? then no top up? What will the person eat? air?

And what work? try reading newspapers for some time and stop your naming others here as a bhakt nonsense. For the record, I'm against all political parties. I'd rather have one system rule like China if it meant better governance than 10 different parties made up of scummy erstwhile politicians from Congress and BJP or other parties who got booted out and made their own factions and are now joining to form alliances. Most politicians have been in one party or other at one time and blaming one or other party is no use now.

Rural distress: Last year of Govt saw highest demand for MNREGA jobs in 8 yrs:
https://indianexpress.com/article/i...t-poverty-narendra-modi-rahul-gandhi-5642641/

India's engineers struggle for work as job crisis worsens:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...s-job-crisis-worsens/articleshow/68369946.cms

Unemployment in India had risen to a 45-year high of over 6 per cent in 2017-18:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...-in-statistical-data/articleshow/68418232.cms

Rural distress and demand up, NREG gets lowest wage hike for 2019-2020:
https://indianexpress.com/article/i...eg-gets-lowest-wage-hike-for-2019-20-5647823/

Ohhhh!!!! So only you can think and rest of us spout nonsense? lol.

Tell me then. What happens if monthly earning is 0 due to disability or accident or some unknown factor? then no top up? What will the person eat? air?

And what work? try reading newspapers for some time and stop your naming others here as a bhakt nonsense. For the record, I'm against all political parties. I'd rather have one system rule like China if it meant better governance than 10 different parties made up of scummy erstwhile politicians from Congress and BJP or other parties who got booted out and made their own factions and are now joining to form alliances. Most politicians have been in one party or other at one time and blaming one or other party is no use now.

Rural distress: Last year of Govt saw highest demand for MNREGA jobs in 8 yrs:
https://indianexpress.com/article/i...t-poverty-narendra-modi-rahul-gandhi-5642641/

India's engineers struggle for work as job crisis worsens:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...s-job-crisis-worsens/articleshow/68369946.cms

Unemployment in India had risen to a 45-year high of over 6 per cent in 2017-18:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...-in-statistical-data/articleshow/68418232.cms

Rural distress and demand up, NREG gets lowest wage hike for 2019-2020:
https://indianexpress.com/article/i...eg-gets-lowest-wage-hike-for-2019-20-5647823/
Insane and inane arguments.

lol. You can't even think up any arguments now and just joining words to post here. Maybe take your own advice and stop spouting nonsense.
I can think and can come back with quite a few, but why waste energy on some one who can't comprehend things.

Think what? You mean to say all men are bad and drink away the free money? Or they waste it on prostitution or other things? Prejudiced much? Don't women drink or waste money on jewellery? What's to say they wont collect that money to buy jewellery etc instead of using it on food or anything else? Or it can also lead to family disputes where husband will beat women to give him the money. Once money goes out of govt's hand they won't know how people will spend it.

This is not prejudice. It may be surprising to you, but men who blow away all their earnings on booze is so common place and such a huge chunk of the whole in those circles of lower middle class and poor, that is considered the norm than the exception. Every women who had worked in my home as a domestic help over last 30 years has had a drunkard husband who blows away all or major part of his money and some times even hers if he gets access. Women save their money and hide it from their husbands and run their houses and children's education on it. In many such house holds, all house hold expenses are run on the woman earnings.

This is exactly why demonetization was a massive blow to women. They lost their entire savings if they did not have a bank account or were forced to give it away to their husbands in many cases.

Women from poor backgrounds who blow money on jewelry or luxuries when there are more important expenses is negligible, if it happens at all. That is more of a issue happening in the middle class. Men from poor to low middle class backgrounds who blow money on booze is common place.

Giving the benefits to the women in the household is nothing new either. It is a established practice already for state programs.

This is not prejudice. It may be surprising to you, but men who blow away all their earnings on booze is so common place and such a huge chunk of the whole in those circles of lower middle class and poor, that is considered the norm than the exception. Every women who had worked in my home as a domestic help over last 30 years has had a drunkard husband who blows away all or major part of his money and some times even hers if he gets access. Women save their money and hide it from their husbands and run their houses and children's education on it. In many such house holds, all house hold expenses are run on the woman earnings.

This is exactly why demonetization was a massive blow to women. They lost their entire savings if they did not have a bank account or were forced to give it away to their husbands in many cases.

Women from poor backgrounds who blow money on jewelry or luxuries when there are more important expenses is negligible, if it happens at all. That is more of a issue happening in the middle class. Men from poor to low middle class backgrounds who blow money on booze is common place.

Giving the benefits to the women in the household is nothing new either. It is a established practice already for state programs.

Ok, tell me how many of the illiterate people have bank accounts now? Most of these low wage earners are men who migrate to other cities in search of jobs and send money back home. Most of their earnings is in cash and there is hardly any record of payments etc. These men live in pathetic conditions to save every money back and send most of their earnings home to their families. There are drunkards etc but those type of men are in every group - from extremely poor to extremely rich. Most men are not like that. You are generalizing entire men based on just one group of people. If that is the case let me generalize everyone of us here and let us all be drunkards beating our spouses everyday.

Since you're bringing personal anecdotes into this discussion, let me tell you mine too. I know lot of families and relatives with domestic helps who have really good husbands who work for 10-12 hours a day and take care of their families well. Granted that these people earn more than the 6000 average the Congress took as baseline (just the women earn 2.5- 3k per house and they go to 3-4 houses in a day) and their husbands are part time contractors etc.
I even know some house help who stole items from our house and relatives house. This is common too. Women house help steal house hold utensils etc to get more money even when they are paid full amount.

Btw, how will the Congress determine whom to give money to?
Do they have some magic wand to know who is really deserving of the amount?
How will they know who earns what amount when most of payments is in cash?
How will they give money to people who do not have bank accounts?
What is there to minimize robbery by bank officials who siphon off money from illiterate peoples accounts in villages?

Just look at this scroll video and see how even congress people have no idea on how to do it.

Obviously I am not supporting their schemes nor did I even speak about it. I do not even consider it feasible.

I am only saying that drunkard husbands are not insignificant percentage to be ignored. Even a 10 of 100 is a statistically significant percentage for them to take a decision based on it. Also as I said, this is nothing new. It's a practice that is followed already in states like AP.

And ofcourse maids stealing in houses is also statistically significant which is why everyone tends to keeps an eye open when a maid is in the house.

The poor will get money, which will help them buy fruits & vegetables, provisions etc., a luxury for many, it will improve their health.
But meh...some ppl will take a myopic view of anything and everything just cos they can't understand it.

Back