Storage Solutions Rainbow/National Dual Layer dvd's 8.5GB

MohitPreet

Skilled
ok, i had recently purchased the above mentioned dual layer discd from dvdstore delhi

first of all they are not 8.5gb as mentioned , they are actually 7.9gb , 3.98gb in a single layer

i had purchased 5 of them as trial , they burn quite well at 4x giving me a burn time of ~ 26 mins on my LG ide dvd burner ,

on checking the disks with nero info tool and nero disc speed , it shows manufacturer id as MKM 001 , and the manufacturer is verbatim , and not moser baer india as the seller had mentioned

here's the proof for that :

Imageshack - 53700064.jpg
Imageshack - 75000710.jpg
now , i just want to know if the dvd id is genuine or not , can it be faked as well ???
how to identify if its fake verbatim code or not ?

and finally are the dvds good enough for data storage mostly for my home collection od blue ray rips downloaded from the internet ?

i wont mind even if the dvds start degrading after 8-10 times of usage , as i dont want 200 years of data retention

I bought 3*50 of them, before he increased prices.....

only picked one disc at random to burn files from fragmented locations. full DVD burned at 21 minutes. it was ok i guess.

lol...even the 4.7GB single layer lets u write 4487MB and not 4.7GB exactly...

Also, why would anyone want to make FAKE's for a unbranded dvds? I have been using rainbow since like 6 years. Its good.

I ordered 600 PC's of these and have written around 250DVDS. Not even a single one has failed. Moreoever depending on how u store the dvd's; u can determine the life of these

I store each of my dvds in a airtight plastic bad (each dvd). This avoids scratches and oxidation reducing dye deterioration and ultimatly giving me 10+ yrs of life.

MohitPreet said:
first of all they are not 8.5gb as mentioned , they are actually 7.9gb , 3.98gb in a single layer

now , i just want to know if the dvd id is genuine or not , can it be faked as well ???

how to identify if its fake verbatim code or not ?

BTW: no difference b/n rainbow and national. both are made by the same company. just depends on availability and maybe some other mkt constraints. Have used 100 national dual layers also. works nicely.

but looks wise: rainbow is better

^^ Words right from the mouth of the highest DVD burner on TE :p

Btw I have burned a few Rainbow DLs and they are good to go....prob is my Benq 1655 wont let them burn anything above 2.4x :mad:

so ebay did give 100off on min purchase of 105?:)

BTW: i would not recommend it... Dual layer discs are very sensitive so even a minor scratch will make the dvd unusuable.

I had minor scratches due to which I got a data verification failure.

Remember: if writing on a scratched disc(even a minor scratch)...always verify the data. the verification will take 12 mins for 8Gb data but worth since u have ur precious data to worry about.

and getting 5 Discs requires the seller to manually take 5 discs and package it manually which adds various factors leading to 1-2 minor (very small) scratches in the discs. for timepass u can order but not for backing up ur precious data. I willl never take a chance.

So much so, that I always dispose off the fist 2 and the last 2 discs from the 50 packs that I order:) for these dvds which do not come in a hard plastic spindle

MohitPreet said:
thanks guys i bought only 5 dvd's for rs 5 with the 100 off coupon, will buy more now :p

velcro ones are shitty and they are thick and rough plastics which is a big no for storing dvds...I use the thinnercovers which are called as PP.

I get these from SP road, 1KG for 300 bucks or so.

i keep the dvds in the plastic bags and whenevr I use the dvd again, i throw the old plastic bag and use a new one to avoid any dust particles catching the dvd. and I never even lay a finger on the dvd dye surface. All my dvds don't even have a single mark on them. and if they get a mark...i dispose the dvd and burn a new one:)

@vercetti - I dont knw what Plastic ones have you seen. The one i am talking about has styrofoam(softer version of it but i dont knw the exact name) lining on either side which i think is better than just plastic.
What i wanted to know was how do u make them airtight? PP i assume are completely open from one end rite>?

^^

No.... that one will pass moisture.

He uses the thin cover.. the ones we get with magazine CD's with seal king... no dust.. no moisture.. no scratches...

Dam it! I should have used these el cheapo DVD's before, instead of wasting 550 bucks for just 10 blanks of Vebtim Dual layers for my 360 titles. I was thinking of ordering the 50 pack of National Dual Layer. It's dead cheap for taking large back ups. Thanks Vercetti for providing your experience with them.

I bought 5 of them . Burnt one of them yesterday with 7.3GB of data @ 2.4x using a Samsung SH-222A writer on Win7 using CDBurnerXP , and now when i tried opening it , it just shows an empty disc . I'd rather not trust these with important data .

Back