Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

i am comparing my AKG K702 Vs FX700 I own both and i find merits in both , i dont think one has a clear advantage over the other. BOTH are in around the same price .

May be i sounded a bit harsh ,

but "cans > IEMs" is certainly not right.

I have heard enough Headpnones and IEMs to back that claim.

^ I 'discovered' them already ;). I was a fan when Ten came out. Many of my favorite tracks are in that album. For instance on weekends, I'd sit through crappy song list of MTV just to catch a glimpse of "Jeremy". Have their Vs and Vitalogy albums as well. Just that I'm not THAT interested in them any more.

Okay.. guess it's just me that never gets fed up of them. If you liked the sound then you might want to try Dinosaur Jr. as well. Good band.

Guess we need a music discussion thread here. Anyone want to do the honours?

I think Ten was their best album anyways. After which they started declining. I even like they're Live in Verona, Italy. OMG, the guitaring of Black live at Verona. :clap:

@ esantosh - Your reply to my post , made me think twice :p

And what i am decided on now is , that having DDM and DBA-02's already , and have been owning RE-252 in the past . Now i feel like trying the RE-ZERO and the warm sounding musical player HM601 . I might order it tomorrow @ amarbir , before that give me a brief difference between RE-Zero vs RE-252 vs DBA-02 .

Or if possible make out a in-depth review for RE-ZERO as a separate thread . Whatever suits you :)

^ Not sure if you'll like RE-ZERO. But, you can sell it anyways. I find them to be better than RE0, but it's still a different take on the same signature - analytical, dry. Chances are you could find it boring when compared to DDM and DBA-02. Have a lot on my hands now - Thunderpants, ECCI PR401 and RE-ZERO. RE-ZERO impressions might take some time.

On the upcoming PFE 232, keep a track of this page too - http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?p=538031. My wallet is not happy that PFE is improving so much for the better in the next iteration - all three sets of filters bundled with the IEM, Sharp edges gone from the design (though it wasn't much of an issue for me), More bass quantity, Much easier to drive and last but not the least, user replaceable cable with IE8 like 2 pin connector.

nukeu666 said:
You pissed im happy with what I'm using

whens your next upgrade :p
Is there anybody who's happy with the current setup? No! Just upgrade (will edit this later and add 101 reasons on why an upgrade makes sense for you :p)

By next upgrade you mean customs, could be within 2011, but not sure!

@mukul,

PFE232 is indeed interesting. We don't have that many Phonaks around in TE; so one of these days, I might have to write about them. It's a little exciting now - DDM2 @ $300, CK10 @ around the same price?, PFE232 likely @ $250...... or a custom...... or none at all? :S

esanthosh said:
Is there anybody who's happy with the current setup? No!

Mee !!!!! RE1 with the bestest of the bestest mids is all I ever wanted in an IEM. Even with my RE262s on their sojourn to the US I dont miss them. :D

BF1983 said:
Mee !!!!! RE1 with the bestest of the bestest mids is all I ever wanted in an IEM. Even with my RE262s on their sojourn to the US I dont miss them. :D
I think it's safe to assume that we will never stop this going back and forth about RE1 :bleh:

In an unrelated head-direct news, it seems that RE0s have started shipping with the newer, thicker cables terminated in 45 degree plugs (much like my RE-ZERO) - Hifiman RE0 latest version - Head-Fi.org Community. May be they are changing the cables for the newer batch of all models, not sure!

esanthosh said:
I think it's safe to assume that we will never stop this going back and forth about RE1 :bleh:

In an unrelated head-direct news, it seems that RE0s have started shipping with the newer, thicker cables terminated in 45 degree plugs (much like my RE-ZERO) - Hifiman RE0 latest version - Head-Fi.org Community. May be they are changing the cables for the newer batch of all models, not sure!
Yes, but to be very frank and honest I really like everything about the RE1 for my needs. While I did like the RE262 more I found getting the fit to be a bit more problematic and I would loose the fit again. The same would not happen with the Re1s. Just fit it in and ever for 1 hour it wouldn't lose the seal. :)

I even liked the DDMs. But the fit was pretty painful for me as only the medium single flange tips fit me properly. After just a short time my ears started to pain !

Its nowhere near the best IEM out there but for my needs at least I like the sound. Sure customs will probably be better but without being able to audition customs I am very wary of taking the plunge and trying them out.

BF1983 said:
Sure customs will probably be better but without being able to audition customs I am very wary of taking the plunge and trying them out.

That's one thing that's stopping me too! Having tried variety of signatures, I'm certain that even if I get a custom, I'll retain a few select universals. Unless I'm certain that the signature is something I can live with (no re-sale value, hard to use outside) for a long, long time, I am a little hesitant of stepping into customs.

I would rather not go for customs. It requires a level of commitment that a guy can never make. Maybe if i were a woman, customs would be my first and last and use it for the rest of my life and live happily ever after. Take it outside, go jogging, go walking with it on the beech, hold hands........Wait are we still talking about Iems?? :S

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

On another note, or another random iem if i may......its getting closer......i can feel it. I can feel it in the air, the energy around me. Its getting closer. My new random iem purchase for this month, my new triple driver Balanced armature. Its sitting in the train right now. One soon to be, very sorry guy is gonna give me his most priced and loved posession for an amount which is considered to be a sin in the audiophile religion.

Q. Is anybody happy with their setup you ask????

A. Definately not the guy selling these, and Definately NOT ME!! Lol. :D

Is there anybody who's happy with the current setup? No! Just upgrade (will edit this later and add 101 reasons on why an upgrade makes sense for you )
I am ......I am. Yes i am very content with my current setup, though i will surely look for 262+more treble + subbass

PFE232 is indeed interesting. We don't have that many Phonaks around in TE; so one of these days, I might have to write about them. It's a little exciting now - DDM2 @ $300, CK10 @ around the same price?, PFE232 likely @ $250...... or a custom...... or none at all?
if they can suit my need i will surely look for pfe232. Hey can u give me link for ddm2.

I think it's safe to assume that we will never stop this going back and forth about RE1
:) :) :)

Yes, but to be very frank and honest I really like everything about the RE1 for my needs. While I did like the RE262 more I found getting the fit to be a bit more problematic and I would loose the fit again. The same would not happen with the Re1s. Just fit it in and ever for 1 hour it wouldn't lose the seal.
Re262 are heavier thn re1, still they fit better in my ears thn re1. Just different ears

On another note, or another random iem if i may......its getting closer......i can feel it. I can feel it in the air, the energy around me. Its getting closer. My new random iem purchase for this month, my new triple driver Balanced armature. Its sitting in the train right now. One soon to be, very sorry guy is gonna give me his most priced and loved posession for an amount which is considered to be a sin in the audiophile religion.

r u getting W3/CK100???

I don't think DDM2 is released yet. Should be available around the 1st week of March from Musica Acoustics and possibly AccessoryJack. I should arrange for a separate source of income just for IEMs so that I can get them all - CK10, DDM2, PFE232 + 2 customs :ashamed:

I wont b buying any iem in ths year.(I hope so)

i m waiting for re272..........i hope hifiman fix the shortcomings in 262 even if they make it more neutral while retaining timbre

or i will look for an alternative in pfe 232 or ddm2

Back