Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

Q. Is anybody happy with their setup you ask????

A. ME ??? Never Ever !! lol

Dunno in which lust , i ordered the HM601 and RE-Zero today .
Expecting them soon by tomorrow . So now Three IEM's its gonna be RE-ZERO , DDM , DBA-02 . Eying Monster Turbine's also :p
Mephistopheles said:
Is RE272 coming?
Seems they are working on it . Something a step ahead than RE262 . Most probably they will reduce its impedance to make the news IEM lighter for PMP's to drive without a amp .
Same as we can say happened with RE-ZERO after RE0 .

Let's keep the fingers crossed till then .

Mephistopheles said:
Is RE272 coming?
The only mention of RE272 is in clieOS blog under "Possible review". I am hoping for it to be a true upgrade to RE252 (including lower impedance like anubhav mentioned). As of now, even clieOS does not know when it's coming to him for review.

anubhav2345 said:
Dunno in which lust , i ordered the HM601 and RE-Zero today .

Expecting them soon by tomorrow . So now Three IEM's its gonna be RE-ZERO , DDM , DBA-02 . Eying Monster Turbine's also

Monster Turbine? Go for at least MTPG or Miles Davis Tribute/Trumpet. MD should be more like SM3 with a few signature differences. I am not sure if you'll like RE-ZERO. At least you can compare RE-ZERO to DBA-02 and see how it stacks up ;)

I wish I could spare enough time for my musical journey , but sadly i am not able to :(

Why the hell , Life in Delhi is so busy !!!!

But still i keep buying whatever i am able to get easily within India . Avoiding Customs ;)

Was expecting a jumbo mega sale from santosh sir .... but sadly i don't think he is ready to part with any of his IEM.

and tbh i'm not liking it that much. Thats what i get for not auditioning them before pulling the trigger. :angry:

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

esanthosh said:
^ You always seem to find the best deals :mad:. Congrats, BTW :D
Lol, you don't know the half of it brother!!! ;)
Is it ok to post prices i've bought my stuff at?? Or would it just get me flamed? :ashamed:

^ SM3 is known to have that effect on people ;). It's not your 'classic' presentation at all! Try it for a couple of weeks with tremendous amount of brain burn-in and if you still don't like it, sell it! dfkt @ abi took 4 months to get acclimatized to it's signature :p

On prices, likely results - mad, jealous and more PMs for you to find deals :p

Yea...your probably right, i read that on the SM3 appreciation thread too on Head-Fi.

First impressions:
I don't wanna say too much cause i may end up eating my words later, but here it goes anyways. These are warmer than walking at noon in Sri Lanka wearing a sweater and leather jeans. These are bloody warm, like the Maverick D1(tube like presentation). Sounds a lot like the TF10 with similar bass(brendon will find them muddy :p ), forward mids(smooth and lush sounding), minus the treble sparkle(that should give you'll an idea).

Finding treble on these is like trying to find someone on head-fi saying that his gear sux!! Non-Existant!.

^ Not far off my initial impressions! Now, my suggestion is don't try to compare it to anything else right now. Give a long session and see how you feel about the treble. I'm talking at least an hour to a couple of hours; even 30 mins did not do it for me. If it works for you, I'll be assured that my case is not a one off.

esanthosh said:
^ Not far off my initial impressions! Now, my suggestion is don't try to compare it to anything else right now. Give a long session and see how you feel about the treble. I'm talking at least an hour to a couple of hours; even 30 mins did not do it for me. If it works for you, I'll be assured that my case is not a one off.
This is so very true , Initially i started hating DBA-02 for there overall sound ( extremely poor bass ) to an extent . Now with DBA's plugged in for like an hour , i am finding them perfect . Its just this that they perform there best with a certain genre's .

Prolonged listening settles the impression of particular IEM .

Loving Deadmau5 tracks right now !!

anubhav2345 said:
This is so very true , Initially i started hating DBA-02 for there overall sound ( extremely poor bass ) to an extent . Now with DBA's plugged in for like an hour , i am finding them perfect . Its just this that they perform there best with a certain genre's .
Prolonged listening settles the impression of particular IEM .

Loving Deadmau5 tracks right now !!

O they sound phenomenal, If your a basshead.

I'm listening to Glow - Cirez d on these and the bass is amazing, its punchy, not really fast like the CK10's. The mids are "in your face". Just the way I........Don't like my mids. Not as detailed or analytical as the CK10s. And the fact that treble is kinda there, kinda not there makes them non-fatiguing sounding and different from the TF10 and the CK10 where the treble is just there. Less taxing for my poor brain. :confused:

Prolly like the HD650 of iems, good mids, good bass, dark/warm sounding, not the fastest sound, good soundstage(height and width), cabling could've been better. Yup, definately the hd650 of iems.

Benny, i will kill myself in the morning ! just tell me the deal you got for SM3 !
Santosh, which IEM are you talking about, ( in your last post ( SM3 ?, but why did you quote anubhav ? )

and a CK10 vs DBA-02 is THE THEREAD I am looking forward to !

^.........pm'ed you

Here's an interesting piece to read i found on head-fi:

One person actually compared the Earsonics SM3 and the JH13 Pro. In essence, he said that it was a matter of taste between the two headphones. The quote is on page 131 (post 1952) on the SM3 Appreciation Thread. Here is the original quote:
That brings up one of the ideas I see repeated that isn't always true; that going to

high end custom means the end of lusting after universals. It doesn't necessarily work that

way. It didn't for me. I would bet for a significant number of people expressing the idea, it won't either.
The JH13 is a remarkable piece of engineering and worth every bit of it's price. How it

manages to use 6 BA drivers and the associated crossovers and sound so seamless and smooth is nearly

unbelievable. The presentation is seamless, like a single driver IEM, fast like any BA and extended

on both top and bottom in line with the best universals.
but
It is only one version of sonic presentation. It is easily possible to have a high end custom and still

choose to spend listening time with "lesser" IEMs. I've had the JH13 for a year now. Over the last few months

at least half my listening time is with other IEMs. For the most recent few months it's been the e-Q7. Now it's

the SM3. The SM3 may very well end up beating my favorite universal, the e-Q7 sound wise, although the build never will.
The SM3 seems to match up pretty well with the JH13 as far as frequency extension, both top and bottom.

The mids on the SM3 are more forward and a little "hotter" than the JH13. The JH13 is quite a bit smoother

across the spectrum than the SM3, which isn't to say I hear the SM3 as peaky. The SM3 makes a very good

transition through the frequencies, but it isn't seamless. The SM3 has very nearly equal clarity to the JH13,

and not far behind the CK10, which has the most clarity of any IEM I've heard.
So far, the unique feature I hear in the SM3 is it's soundstage and image. It's very impressive, but at the same time

sometimes not "real". The soundstage reminds me of the HD800, which is my favorite fullsize can. The HD800 throws an amazing,

huge 3d soundstage, even when it's not called for. The SM3 does somewhat the same thing, although not to the extent

the HD800 does. I like the effect on a lot of material, but not on everything. In comparison the JH13 has about

as "honest" an image and soundstage as I've heard in IEMs. Everything is in the correct location and of the correct size.

The soundstage on the JH13 disappears because nothing much surprises or disappoints.
That's my 2¢ so far on the JH13 vs SM3 comparison.
It seems like the Earsonics SM3 is a much better deal. If you don't like it, the resale value is extremely high (I have seen it sold for more than retail). If you do like it, you can get custom tips or a full custom remold.

strategy said:
Santosh, which IEM are you talking about, ( in your last post ( SM3 ?, but why did you quote anubhav ? )

I quoted anubhav in a post about RE272 and since then have replied to Benny about SM3. I am confused now - which post are you talking about? Quote the message and I'll be able to clarify.

@benny,

That post exactly describes what I'll do even if I get customs. I guess I am better off stuck in the world of "low fi" universals :).

Add: Been thinking of getting a custom tip from Earsonics itself sometime later. Hopefully that won't change the signature.

I wont call dba02, fx700, sm3 low-fi.

I can only imagine right now hw well a custom can sound.

But i can hardly give 10-12 hrs a week for my music listening.

So i better stay wth a top tier universal which is easy on your pocket and produce good sound.

bennysachdev said:
Your hoping for too much then my friend. :)
Yeah i know.
Lets c till whn i cn hold myself back :)
and congrats on ur purchase

Back