Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

Thanks to everyone who posted here and contacted me via PM. Surely, it is a personal crisis and I would love to have all the support I can get to tide through it. But, it feels bad to divert the focus of the thread for personal reasons. So, let's keep this thread about IEMs (in a way, it diverts my attention a few minutes away from my grief, so...)

Before this past week, I had a list of interesting IEMs to check-out

• $50 : VSonic VSD1S, Sony MH1C, Steel Series Flux In-Ear
  • $100 : Philips Fidelio S1, Hifiman RE-400
  • < $200: TDK BA200, TDK IE800, Philips Fidelio S2
  • Besides these, I have heard about UE-600, but yet to read about them. I also had to skip reviewing SA C-12. So, those two might be interesting to check out at some stage.
Questions:
  1. Any idea if Steel Series Flux would be released in India?
  2. Is there any other interesting IEM / FOTM that I have missed?
  3. Anyone who have owned / tried / auditioned the TDKs - @Ritvik, @bennysachdev ?

@esanthosh feeling sorry for you mate. my deepest condolences.[DOUBLEPOST=1381519294][/DOUBLEPOST]Have you tried those hybrid IEMs ? sony to coming up with hybrid version of xba series, you might want to try that.

Thanks folks.

Have you tried those hybrid IEMs ? sony to coming up with hybrid version of xba series, you might want to try that.

I am a little rusty when it comes to IEMs. I don't think I've tried the hybrid IEMs. Any specific IEMs you have in mind? The Sony XBA-H series seems much costlier.

The iem world is as intruiging as ever! Lets get you up to speed :D

Firstoff Brainwavz seem to be making a mark with their new range this year.
The Braiwavz Delta s are the new low cost champs. Clear, analyticalish sound (uncharacteristic in this price range). ~20$
The Brainwavz S1 have a slightly warm sound that makes them a good all rounder. ~50$
The Brainwavz R3 are perhaps the most intruiguing of the bunch with its quirky Dual dynamic design. Most impressions talk about excellent layering and soundstage with an analytical vibe. ~110$
More importantly they've upped the build quality significantly. Razzer's on a roll.

Vsonic is still at it with the confusing nomenclature :banghead:. The VSD1S seem to be causing the most ripples. Good bang for buck.

Hifiman are riding the RE-400 success wave. Although quite a few people have been reporting build quality issues.

Everybody is still waiting on Philips to stop their shennanigans and release the Fidelio in-ears already. Last week the S2 was on sale for 106$ (Amazon US). Sigh. No love for India. :(

RHA have come out with an impressive dynamic driver IEM, the MHA750. Its placed in the highly competitive 100$ category and seems to be holding its own.
Onkyo and Cardas have entered the IEM market with two solid offerings.
Audio technica have some solid performing IEMs out.

The highlights of 2013(discounting the really impressive single dynamic IEMs) seems to be the rise of the affordable HYBRIDS.
The AKG K3003 set the bar insanely high for hybrids (and universals in general) in terms of sound quality. A technical showcase if you will.
The most notable hybrids this year are
T-PEOS H200: Hybrid Performer of the year probably :singing: Good balance and takes most of what's thrown at it.
The KEF M200(Dual dynamic): These chunky monsters are a nightmare when it comes to fit. But they say its magic once thats sorted.
DUNU 1000: Creating waves at the pricepoint.
Astrotek AX60 : Set out to dethrone the K3003, but falls short I believe. Dunno much else.
Sony XBA-H series : Sonys latest range of iems. We're expecting it to combine the dynamic goodness of the EX series with the detail and separation of the XBA series. Very very high expectations. The XBA-H1 impressions are trickling in and these seem to be the ones to watch out for. Single 9mm dynamic with a full ranged BA. Sony india has launched it (surprise surprise) at Rs. 6990. 650 on ebay. This is lesser than the international launch price. The impressions seem to be fairly positive so far.
The higher models are TF10esque looking frankenbolts. Detachable cables, Dual BA, high resolution drivers, the lot.

These hybrids seems to bring the best of both worlds together. Perhaps the way forward when it comes to iems.

Steel Series Flux In-Ear : |joker| touts it as one of the best in that price range. Indian resellers only carry the gaming over ears currenty. Might have to contact them to see if they can be ordered on request.
Dunno much about the TDKs.

I'm sure I'm missing a few more :).

Haven't used an IEM for some time now. Looking to try out a random IEM. My last IEM was a RE-1 and it was just perfect for me even without an amp. I grabbed a X10 during last year's black friday deals but even though them being the most comfortable IEMs I had ever used, they sounded mediocre. I prefer the laid back/dark sounds and forward vocals like the RE-1 and looking for the same but with better build quality and if possible with removable wires.

@rdst_1

I thought RE-262 was an improvement over RE1. SM3, though slightly different, was similarly mid-centric. SE535 and I guess, e-Q7 are IEMs to consider.

Anybody thinking of getting Philips Fidelio S2 from Amazon JP? Even with Tenso's shipping, should end up under 10K.

I was considering to get the XBA-H1 but read few posts on headfi that these turned out to be very average.Guess hybrids will take time.But is hybrid a real thing next or a plain marketing gimmick?
me too interested in knowing about the fidelio s2

So, |joker| just posted his impressions of the VSD1 and VSD1S on innerfidelity : Link here
We might have a new bang for buck king. PLus the slight V sig will make it a great all rounder

Conclusion quote
VSonic's new earphones deliver competent, versatile, consumer-friendly sound and continue the manufacturer's streak of high value-for-money releases. The VSD1 sounds a touch more impactful while the VSD1S is more balanced and a bit smoother up top, but both earphones are very easy to recommend and rank among my favorite budget-friendly sets.

In my review of VSonic's pricier GR07 model, I mentioned that its performance makes it difficult to justify spending several hundred dollars on flagship earphones from a different brand. The new VSD1 and VSD1S do the same to most sets in their price range, and many well above it. For some listeners, especially those new to Hi-Fi, the VSD1 might be all that's necessary for a start, potentially displacing even VSonic's own higher-end models. That is, until the next round of budget-friendly releases catch up to the current top dogs.

We might have a new bang for buck king. PLus the slight V sig will make it a great all rounder

Not if Inks is right ;)

I am yet to get back to IEMs with any regularity. I do have a Sony MH1C thanks to @hzant6681. Heard it once, but yet to listen again.

Here's my current interest list:
  • Philips Fidelio S2 (from Amazon JP)
  • SteelSeries Flux In-Ear / VSonic VSD1S / LG Quadbeat 2
  • Hifiman RE-400
  • TDK BA-200 / IE800
Unlike before, I am trying to restrict myself to one IEM every 2-3 months (it usually becomes one every 2 weeks in the end). Have too much already!

Not if Inks is right ;)

I am yet to get back to IEMs with any regularity. I do have a Sony MH1C thanks to @hzant6681. Heard it once, but yet to listen again.

Here's my current interest list:
  • Philips Fidelio S2 (from Amazon JP)
  • SteelSeries Flux In-Ear / VSonic VSD1S / LG Quadbeat 2
  • Hifiman RE-400
  • TDK BA-200 / IE800
Unlike before, I am trying to restrict myself to one IEM every 2-3 months (it usually becomes one every 2 weeks in the end). Have too much already!

:D Inks would knock that S2 right off your list too :D

Now theres a LE version of the VSD1s too. Gotta love Vsonic. Cue the Silver Pro Classic MKII BE edition :rolleyes:

How does the whole tenso thing work? Its the same as any other international purchase once it leaves japan right? Our beloved Indian post will be in charge of the Customs and delivery I presume.

I really hope the Nexus 5 comes with the QB2.

@kenpachiroks,

Inks won't knock off S2. Inks' review is post a 7db cut in mid-bass. Joker won't review it with EQ. LG Quadbeat has a 7.9 score on Joker's list. So if QB2 > MH1, it is likely to be 8.2-8.4. Fidelio S2 is likely to be over 9.0. IME, I don't think it can score 0.5-0.6 just by EQ.

Secondly, Inks places great emphasis on FR and technical factors and not everybody sees the same way. If you read TFRM vs UERM, the likeness score of both kept on reducing as the tour unfolded. So, I'd be a bit skeptical until Joker reviews it.

Tenso is similar to any forwarding service. You shop at Amazon JP, send it to Tenso address and they then send it via EMS / Ordinary post. So, yes! Indian Post will be responsible once it lands in India.

In any case, LG Quadbeats 2 has my interest. It is in my eBay Cart, but I am holding off hitting the Checkout button.

Mr-FR-Inks crashed the Discovery thread a few weeks ago disputing the value of the S2 (among others). That got dirty quickly :blackeye:
Also, heavy EQ always seems to upset the tonal balance beyond a point(expected I guess). You'd have to be pretty accurate with a -7dB, provided you have a good EQ app

Yeah, I've been following the 99$ vs 999$ thread. Following the decline actually :inpain:. I believe joker is next.

On the QB2 review, Joker had this to say "Maybe if LG includes it with the Nexus 5..."
The price went from 25$ to 30$ since release. Hope it doesn't go beyond...

Back