Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

BTW, if you were looking for a 'good review' as mentioned by @santhoshr, you could have written it yourself (like kenpachiroks did for RE-400). My review would be based on my biases, tastes and preferences which may not exactly align with yours :)

Quoting from our PM " I read your review a few days after the purchase and I felt that it was quite different from what I've been hearing. I noticed though, that you reviewed the standard model and I'm having the ltd edition one with the crossover/ filter tweaked!! Would you care to review the ltd edition red 535s ??!! :) " .

Lol... I wasn't looking for any 'good' review (you reviewed a different earphone (535 Clear)), but rather a review of the revised earphone which was different to my ears in some aspects from what was mentioned in your review of the original SE535. Me writing a review on my own was plan B, if you hadn't been free to accept the ltd editions for review. But the problem with me reviewing is that I've never heard the original Shure SE535 to judge how much better/different the SE535-ltd is. So in a way if I had written a review of the 535 ltd, it would be rather contradicting to your review of the original SE535 in some aspects and because I don't have a earphone/s belonging to the same tier for comparison it would be a my mere impressions rather than a review. And also it would be my first review against your N th review and thus my review would have been null or void against yours if it was contradicting and had no comparisons :)

Good to know. I believe the R07BE had the swivel nozzles?

BTW, have you ever played around with the crossfeed setting(rockbox)? I don't understand the parameters completely but it improved the stage and imaging on my ex-xears

Yes! The original GR07 MKI had swivel nozzles and it trickles down from that.

No! I usually listen with EQ and all effects off - unless I really want to. Have not tried X-feed. Will play with it one of these days and get back to you on that.

Lol... I wasn't looking for any 'good' review (you reviewed a different earphone (535 Clear))

That's the bit I wanted to clear up. Because good or bad is relative (and subjective) and depends entirely on how the comparisons pan out!

And.... you are understanding this whole review thing wrongly. It wouldn't be 'contradicting' if you and I reviewed entirely different models or even tweaks of the same model of IEM. Even if we reviewed the same IEM and you went gaga over it and I got disappointed with it, no one would be 'right' or 'wrong'. And experience has nothing to do with it either.

• When I started writing impressions, Brendon was already an experienced reviewer. He loved his RE1 and I absolutely hated it. It's called opinion and we are all free to have our own.
  • You bought the Shure after comparisons to PFE111, PFE222 and W4. I might have chosen something different. It is called preference and neither you nor I am wrong.
  • ljokerl considers GR07 to be the gateway to top tier universals and still respects it. I preferred TF10 over it. TF10 would score 0.3-0.4 below GR07 if he ever... ever... reviews it. So what?

You should actually feel free to write your review, even if you only compares it to a EP630 (or none at all) after I send it back. It would serve TE better if we have more reviewers than less (even if there's a difference of opinion).

Anyways, I will take sometime to do comparisons and finish the review. My right ear has some pain (the cause was external), which I expect to subside in a day or two. Don't want to strain it with IEMs tonight :)

Last edited:
That's the bit I wanted to clear up. Because good or bad is relative (and subjective) and depends entirely on how the comparisons pan out!

And.... you are understanding this whole review thing wrongly. It wouldn't be 'contradicting' if you and I reviewed entirely different models or even tweaks of the same model of IEM. Even if we reviewed the same IEM and you went gaga over it and I got disappointed with it, no one would be 'right' or 'wrong'. And experience has nothing to do with it either.

• When I started writing impressions, Brendon was already an experienced reviewer. He loved his RE1 and I absolutely hated it. It's called opinion and we are all free to have our own.
  • You bought the Shure after comparisons to PFE111, PFE222 and W4. I might have chosen something different. It is called preference and neither you nor I am wrong.
  • ljokerl considers GR07 to be the gateway to top tier universals and still respects it. I preferred TF10 over it. TF10 would score 0.3-0.4 below GR07 if he ever... ever... reviews it. So what?

You should actually feel free to write your review, even if you only compares it to a EP630 (or none at all) after I send it back. It would serve TE better if we have more reviewers than less (even if there's a difference of opinion).

Anyways, I will take sometime to do comparisons and finish the review. My right ear has some pain (the cause was external), which I expect to subside in a day or two. Don't want to strain it with IEMs tonight :)

I completely agree that each person has his own preferred sound signature (Clieos's signature chart is very helpful in that sense) and what might one persons gold might not be the same to another person. But I do believe what I did (by sending the iems to you when you were willing to do a review,before writing my own opinions) is correct.
Like you have already mentioned, everything in audio is relative, we all NEED a frame of reference to judge what we have and know what's out there that's better or worse. That's the whole point of sending the iems to you or to any other experienced reviewer (Clieos or ljokerl).

You, by writing more and more reviews and by your comprehensive rankings are indirectly letting us know what your individual preferences/ biases are. So later by taking into consideration your individual biases and preferences, I judge the reviews of various other earphones which YOU already have or will be reviewing in the future to see which one I might like.

Instead if I just write my impressions (head-fi has plenty already there) it's going to have a very less benefit for me or any other readers on TE or anywhere else. However I know I am entitled to giving my opinions, which I definitely WILL write following your review in the review thread or post you are going to create. Had you refused or felt that it was inconvenient for you to do a review or if for some reason I I would have posted my impressions in your original SE535 thread long back :D
I feel this way everyone including me will benefit way more. And just to be clear, I am not shy or uncomfortable voicing my opinions. I am more comfortable to voice them in something I'm well versed with and more experience in! Here's a review I wrote recently of my in car entertainment system, which I've been experimenting with for a long long time http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?18955-Audible-Physics/page5

Last edited:
Vsonic VSD1S on on its way to me(from HiFinage). :joyful:

Sadly, I'll only have them for a few days. So a full review is out of the picture. Will definitely post some short impressions.
Never heard the GR07 BE. Let's see what 90% of the performance sounds like. :D[DOUBLEPOST=1386776122][/DOUBLEPOST]Look who came knocking :woot:

1485699999.jpg

Impressions in a few days. Have to abstain from my RE-400s to create a clean slate :p
Exactly one day from "ordered" to "received"! Thank you HiFinage!:)

Last edited:
BAs do not require...Wait! I don't want to get into another pointless debate about burn-in. Burn away! ;)

A161P was certainly a steal at that price. I was very tempted.

No difference(RE400) when driven by the AK100 and clip+ ?

Wow, some serious bucks being burnt.
AK100 + ALO int. Mm..That's going to go great with your new JH13Pro FP ;)

You're going to go all cable crazy now, aren't you? :meh:

Lol no JH13 couldn't bring myself to buy it again. Have the ALO
International already, but won't go cable crazy. Not a big believer in cables altering signatures or brining out finer details :/, have a couple of balanced cables from the SR71B days that will suffice.

The TDK IE800 arrives today and they should keep happy till I get a mystery pair of budget silicone customs! Hopefully by February, long line I'm told.

The TDK IE800 arrives today and they should keep happy till I get a mystery pair of budget silicone customs! Hopefully by February, long line I'm told.

Would it happen to be Custom Art?

Ross Stores had a terrific deal for BA200 and IE800 recently ($25 / $20 / $15). If I was there, would have picked up both and bought a spare BA200 as well. Sigh! :(

The weird part is I don't know yet, getting impression made tonight based on blind trust in a friend who promised me a pair of customs, in silicone with a fun signature at under 400 USD. He's getting a pair too so well ship the impression out together.

Custom art is polish isn't it?

Last edited:
The weird part is I don't know yet, getting impression made tonight based on blind trust in a friend who promised me a pair of customs, in silicone with a fun signature at under 400 USD. He's getting a pair too so well ship the impression out together.

Custom art is polish isn't it?

Yup, polski.

Must be the Music One :)

Would it happen to be Custom Art?

Ross Stores had a terrific deal for BA200 and IE800 recently ($25 / $20 / $15). If I was there, would have picked up both and bought a spare BA200 as well. Sigh! :(

Wait,o_O what?!

Must be the Music One :)

Music One is $269. Joker described it as Hifiman bass and treble + Ety mids.

Piotr has also announced Music Two, which is a 2-BA, 2-Way which should be more capable.

To quote a post from Custom Art thread

If I'm reading this right, the Music Two has the same sound in the mids, albeit more detailed and refined, more bass presence and extension, and more treble crispness, extension and presence. So it's the same general idea of a lush, musical iem as the Music One, but more fully realized and technically capable. Am I right?

It costs 999 PLN with non-detachable cable, 1150 with detached cable during the pre-order (till Mid Jan). Shipping would add 35 PLN (or 60/150) and Paypal would add 4%. The approximate Indian prices (Ex-impression, shipping impressions) would fall close to ~ 23K and ~26.5K. Music One would cost about ~17.5-18K. Both are around that $400 range.

I don't know much about Custom IEMs, but most of them make Acrylic shells. So, don't have a clue!

Ah so it is the Music Two. Looks quite nice on paper. I just want something that's a bit more musical than my two previous iems, the Tzar 350 and the RE400 and with a better seal. I cant seem to get a good fit with most universals.

Guys, wonder if this is the appropriate place to put it, without having to start a new thread.

Source being the old rockboxed Sansa Clip+, which is a good headphone amp for either of these headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and the M50.

Thanks guys.

In other news, Steel Series Flux was delivered today. It sat in Amazon's office (even though status said 'Shipped') from 6th to 10th. It had reached Mumbai only this morning and I wasn't expecting it till Monday. So, kind of pleasantly surprised at the 7 PM delivery. The delivery guy asked me for Customs duty, but after confirming with his office, left the package.

The outer box and packaging are really nice. The accessories are very limited - 3 size single flanges and a pouch. The flat cable is much better than the abomination with MH1C. The housing is nicely constructed and it is easy to get an over the ear fit without any issues. In a 5 minute testing, this seems like a good competitor to MH1C, with the bass, balance and treble of Flux more to my liking. The sound stage, smoothness and mid range, I guess would be MH1C's relative strengths. Would be an interesting battle.

I never thought I'd be back in this business of 2-3 simultaneous burn-ins any time soon. I currently have 3 IEMs (Signature Acoustics C-12 Limited Edition, MH1C and RE-400) "burning" in. Lucky I got three "burn in" sources to do that (Sony E353 with 43+ hrs, Cowon X9 would probably do 70, QLS QA350 runs on AC).

Still not feeling well for a listening session tonight. Hopefully, I should get back to SE535LTD review tomorrow.

I got to audition the UE 6000 and the Sony MDR 1R.
Neither impressed me :bored:

The UE6000 had bass that felt slightly loose and nothing special in the rest of the spectrum.
The MDR 1R had fantastic mids but the bass didn't feel wholesome. The highs were't smooth enough for my liking.
I love the soundstage that full headphones give you (over iems). Its very..... enticing :headphone:
It was a short listening session(& only my phone as a source) so I shouldn't be too hasty in jumping to conclusions.

Also the KEF salesman said he would try to get the M200. Let's see. :)

@esanthosh
Limited edition = added brass case?

So, do you not use them throughout the burn in period? (For a before n after impression)

Limited edition = added brass case?

Limited edition has a brass case. The Y-split is wood and there is a wooden slider. SA has also sent me a leather case.

So, do you not use them throughout the burn in period? (For a before n after impression)

I used to do that when I was new to this hobby, not any more. I usually listen casually for a few minutes (like C-12, Flux) or a few short hours (like RE-400) before committing them to burn-in rig. I don't use them until they have completed 100 hours of burn-in (excluding my initial use). My first listening session(s) are casual, just to get the feel of the signature. Unless the first impressions are 'Ouch! Why are they hyping this?' or 'There's a little something missing here' or 'Hmm... May be I should try different tips', the listening session remains very short. Even post burn-in, I give the IEM some exclusive time and real critical listening only starts when I start doing comparisons.

Last edited:
Back