Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

The VC1000 + custom sleeves or the ER4S + customs sleeves :confused:
The advantage with the Etymotic ones are the fact that I can use these - http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/FOR-ETYM...io_Cables_Adapters&hash=item45fcb49cf0&_uhb=1

About these custom sleeves. Are they recommended for the Etys? I read some unflattering articles by Rin.
Etymotic Research CUSTOM•FIT ear sleeves: An inconvenient truth?
CUSTOM•FIT ear sleeves for ER-4
Then again, it's mostly just measurements.

@Ritvik,

I haven't kept up-to date with head-fi. But, when I was active (1.5 - 2 yrs?), LMUE was reliable. Someone even got GR01 from them. Not sure if they have maintained the same level of service.

Do read all reviews of VC1000 for any mention of sibilance. It is VSonic's 'signature tuning'. If it is hot in that zone, better to go for ER4S.

@sardar17,

Specs are great for DX90, but that is only on paper. I only hope they release something with usable firmware this time.

In other news: 2800 words and counting. Half way into my blabber piece on SE535LTD-J. Will probably complete tomorrow today or Monday. Here's hoping that no one reads it to completion and no one ever asks me to do reviews again!

i asked my brother to loan me back my brainwavz m3 and sony ex 083

brainwavz m3 are anaemic and congestedcompared to gr07 mk2,,like a cheap set.poor soundstage,poor sub bass and no treble extension with silky smooth vocals(unfortunately not a good thing in my opinion)
but details and instrument seperation is amazing!!i would say better than gr07 mk2 but overall it is nothing in front of gr07

sony ex083

damn,u need to get these to compare man,if u haven't heard them.go them with walkman e474 and
1)soundstage same as gr07 mk2 which is not a mean feat
2)isolation pretty good
3)better bass than gr07,i kidu not and its not of se215 quality,oh no
4)mids almost there
5)lesser treble extension but then less sibilant too

i mean i am really stunned by how good a 12$ pair sounds,damn

@Ritvik,

I haven't kept up-to date with head-fi. But, when I was active (1.5 - 2 yrs?), LMUE was reliable. Someone even got GR01 from them. Not sure if they have maintained the same level of service.

Do read all reviews of VC1000 for any mention of sibilance. It is VSonic's 'signature tuning'. If it is hot in that zone, better to go for ER4S.

@sardar17,

Specs are great for DX90, but that is only on paper. I only hope they release something with usable firmware this time.

In other news: 2800 words and counting. Half way into my blabber piece on SE535LTD-J. Will probably complete tomorrow today or Monday. Here's hoping that no one reads it to completion and no one ever asks me to do reviews again!

lmue is pretty reliable,i just got g07 mk2 from them 20-25 days back

@kenpachiroks

While I have great respect for the work Rin Choi is doing at his blog, it is important to keep in mind that he belongs to a school of thought that there is one 'standard' for IEM tuning. Not many insert deep into the reference plane and not many are bothered about diffuse field or Olive Welti. The end user is mostly concerned with listening to music and how it feels. While I am happy that there are NwAvGuys and Rins around to enhance our knowledge, I feel that one should still judge an IEM by the emotional connect it provides with the music.

I have a varied taste - I sometimes like rose colored glasses, sometimes green glasses and sometimes plain glasses to see the music. So, while I may like HF2, I do not mind TF10 or SM3 or FX700 either, even if some of them do not measure well enough.

Ritvik is finding it hard to get a perfect fit with universals and hence he may be more comfortable with a custom tip where there is no tip rolling to be concerned with. Who knows? May be he'll get a better tip than Rin.

@sardar17

Interesting find with EX083.

@kenpachiroks
While I have great respect for the work Rin Choi is doing at his blog, it is important to keep in mind that he belongs to a school of thought that there is one 'standard' for IEM tuning. Not many insert deep into the reference plane and not many are bothered about diffuse field or Olive Welti. The end user is mostly concerned with listening to music and how it feels. While I am happy that there are NwAvGuys and Rins around to enhance our knowledge, I feel that one should still judge an IEM by the emotional connect it provides with the music.
I have a varied taste - I sometimes like rose colored glasses, sometimes green glasses and sometimes plain glasses to see the music. So, while I may like HF2, I do not mind TF10 or SM3 or FX700 either, even if some of them do not measure well enough.
Ritvik is finding it hard to get a perfect fit with universals and hence he may be more comfortable with a custom tip where there is no tip rolling to be concerned with. Who knows? May be he'll get a better tip than Rin.

I am of the same opinion too. Feel is more important than squiggly lines. But, I do take Rins articles in a "Nice-to-know" way.
One is always better off making a decision armed with relevant knowledge(whether theoretical or based off experience). While I did take his custom sleeve article with a spoonful of salt, I thought this might be something Ritvik would find....well....."nice to know" :p.

Come to think of it, I've seen many graph warriors. But, are there many who are on the other side of the extreme fence(if that does exist).
The second half of SoundFreaq's impressions on the "TFRM vs UERM" and the "AKG 3003 and the UERM" is the best I can come up with :D.

i just saw his article on gr07 mk2 measurements and it made me go out and buy them

but i was pretty disappointed on freq response as tests show then choking after 15khz when hey claim upto 30 khz[DOUBLEPOST=1388300776][/DOUBLEPOST]has anyone here had an experience with philips fidelio s1 and s2??
for what reviews have come,looks like s2 is better than gr07!!:arghh::arghh::arghh:

It's like Santosh said, I cant seem to find a good seal with most tips. This is more of a concern than minor changes in sound. Comply tips work well since they expand to fill up the space in your ears but they're hard to keep clean, and changing them once every two weeks or so is quite expensive. Jaben I think sells their hippo foam tips at 80 USD for a month's supply, but a pair of custom sleeves from Custom Art are only about 60 USD. Since they have my impressions already and shipping will be combined with the Music Two, I figured its worth a shot. :)

Leaning more towards the VC1000 or GR01 and from the pictures here https://www.facebook.com/thecustomart they look quite well implemented, almost akin to some of Rin's drawings.

Thanks for the links btw.

Come to think of it, I've seen many graph warriors. But, are there many who are on the other side of the extreme fence(if that does exist).
The second half of SoundFreaq's impressions on the "TFRM vs UERM" and the "AKG 3003 and the UERM" is the best I can come up with :D.

Graph warriors are no doubt, more vocal. But, if you search hard, you will find a few more on the extreme subjective fence :)

It is better to be like Tyll. He measures, but also posts subjective impressions. His posts on burn-in are a fine example of that. It never hurts to know how to read FR and CSD, but it's better to correlate what you hear with what you see than the other way around.

@sardar17,

I don't think any one here has it yet. But, it is getting cheaper and cheaper every day at Amazon JP (Was 8400 Yen or so, 7400 last week, 7000 now), that I am getting more and more tempted.

Graph warriors are no doubt, more vocal. But, if you search hard, you will find a few more on the extreme subjective fence :)
It is better to be like Tyll. He measures, but also posts subjective impressions. His posts on burn-in are a fine example of that. It never hurts to know how to read FR and CSD, but it's better to correlate what you hear with what you see than the other way around.
Yeah some people can get very subjective, like this once active Headfier. :rolleyes:

Tyll's reviews are well rounded. Measurements, subjective impressions and some nice comparisons. (Sometimes a little too short though :p)
His Ultrasone Edition 10 review still cracks me up :hilarious:

Hey! Don't bring me into this. I never write "like a veil has been lifted" like them. I only write "like my ear wax has been professionally cleaned". That is not subjective! :shy:

Hey! Don't bring me into this. I never write "like a veil has been lifted" like them. I only write "like my ear wax has been professionally cleaned". That is not subjective! :shy:
"Veil of wax has been lifted" then
Why not both :playful:

I see some Noble 4 universal impressions popping up. What about your set? Nothing like some Moulton magic to bring in the new year :)

Rofl. A headphone which made Tyll literally dance and brought tears to his eyes! Worth the money I'd say!!
everyone has different requirements and hearing likings
i just used to see the bass level(should be tight and non boomy) in the review along with level of clarity and instrument separation.if these things are good and the overall score is good then i go for it.i used to think that all the things on treble sparkle,sibilance,extension are all made up!!

but owning 2-3 different earphones now and seeing their reviews i have become sure that they are legitimate,majority of the points are the same that i am listening to.
but i still don't know how to distinguish sub bass from mid bass properly.i can compare 2 models and tell the result but just listening to one only i cannot make out these things from memory(yet!!).
on another topic

after listening to ex083 i am sure ex 7550 and ex1000 will be kick ass stuff,just hoping for some sale or a good deal for them.ex 7550 are not that pricey but 1000's are going north of 400$,damn

everyone has different requirements and hearing likings
i just used to see the bass level(should be tight and non boomy) in the review along with level of clarity and instrument separation.if these things are good and the overall score is good then i go for it.i used to think that all the things on treble sparkle,sibilance,extension are all made up!!

but owning 2-3 different earphones now and seeing their reviews i have become sure that they are legitimate,majority of the points are the same that i am listening to.
but i still don't know how to distinguish sub bass from mid bass properly.i can compare 2 models and tell the result but just listening to one only i cannot make out these things from memory(yet!!).
on another topic

after listening to ex083 i am sure ex 7550 and ex1000 will be kick ass stuff,just hoping for some sale or a good deal for them.ex 7550 are not that pricey but 1000's are going north of 400$,damn

That's one of the primary benefits of portable audio and the main reason why I love it! The number of variables affecting what we hear from iems/ headphones are relatively less when compared to car and home audio. That is, even though we may have our individual biases and preferences, everyone basically hears a particular earphone the same way when connected to the same source provided it is burnt in properly. So as we read reviews online from head fi/ TE or magazines, we gradually get a sense of what neutrality actually is and we get ready to finally identify and define which signature we actually love based on its deviation from neutrality. And by buying and listening to more and more iems based on their recommendations, we not only enjoy the benefits of a new iem but we also learn what has improved from what we used to have earlier and what has deteriorated. So this way as we train our brains to actually "feel, express and understand" what we hear through numerous audio jargons which we had no clue of before we entered this hobby. That's why I am glad that portable audio is where I began. Because it helped me to discover and define my personal taste about how I like my music fed to me!

But when it comes to car/ home audio it gets incredibly difficult to get the most of what you've bought! The same speaker which sounded shitty in your car may sound magnificent in an other persons car to your own two ears!! The main reason for this is the acoustic problems which the driver encounters and as a result, results in the sound being altered before it reaches your ear. Besides the acoustic problems/ variations, there are a number of other factors which require attention including, but not limited to, level matching, monitoring time, impulse and phase response of the drivers. And as you progress on to an active setup the number of variables increase even further when you have to manually set crossover frequencies and slopes. So by the end of all this, unless we are sure that we are able to define what our personal taste really is, and know what's lacking it's almost impossible to get what we want unless we are lucky! This is also the main reason why the number of reviews of car audio components is negligible when compared to portable audio, the simple reason being there are TOO many variables!!! So the ability to learn and the scope to improve also becomes less, unless you have your ears already trained! So I consider portable audio to be the PERFECT GATEWAY into the massive, confusing, exciting and bankrupting hobby which we have all fallen into :)

Done.

Good Night! Bye!

(Runs away from review hell)
tumblr_inline_mssfpz35Sb1qz4rgp.gif

Will give it a thorough read tomorrow.

@esanthosh Nice review man, something I was looking forward to read for sometime since I learnt you are going to do one. I loved the way you listed positives, top 5 were nothing to do with sound! I will take it as you are not convinced yet ;-)
On the PRaT, I think it is technically not right word, but become to signify speed among other things. It is more of generic word, and inherently each earphone got one differently, adjusting to the earphone PRaT and Layering is directly proportional to the enjoyment we can derive from the earphone IMHO.
Why layering ? Since we all know how speakers even cheap one are freaking enjoyable, due to projected sound has 'Lead' and 'accompany' clearly defined, lead vocals or particular instrument comes leading with backing instrumentals and vocals comes supporting/and or distant sounding than the Lead, makes it musical conveys the mood better. When every sound is defined which becomes 'reference' or 'monitoring', the musicality is lost, again the audiophiles are exactly after this sound! again the rants are MHO.

@santhoshr

It was not a list of positives, rather an unordered checklist of things people have to tick before considering SE535 - again, IMO only :)

But yes, you are right about my personal preference. While 535 has it's fair share of positives, it is not an IEM I enjoyed very much. Check the FR of EX1000 and SE535 - they have similar extension in treble and similarly flat in the bass region. Even EX1000 is not great in airiness. However it has a wide sound stage to compensate for it thanks to the driver position relative to the ear. They can be said to be somewhat similar (a slight U vs N shaped difference apart), but the performances are far apart when it comes to enjoying music. When you like an IEM over another, it's not always a straight bass vs bass, mid vs mid thing, it is a combination of several factors, some of them intangible. Not all of them can be captured in graphs or words. I enjoyed EX1000, FX700, CK10 during these comparisons more than the others.

As for PRAT, I know it is subjective. An old head-fi thread has all the definitions you can get. If not PRAT, let's call it just... "it" :p. FX700 has got "it", the rest including EX1000 don't.

Back