Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

I agree, even though I'm using the AK100. The DX50 and perhaps the Colorfly c3 and the X3 as well, think the lower priced DAPs with card slots would sell better in India.

The only reason I'd be willing to spend a bit more on the AK is its half decent user interface, which is not so common on higher end DAPs. Terribly overpriced, especially the AK120 which to my admittedly not so golden ears didn't sound too different from the AK100.

BTW, any IEM suggestions for a predominantly Blues and 60's Rock and Roll listener? Auditioned quite a few but cant settle on a single one. Somehow I keep circling around the JH13s again but would like to try something new rather than buying something I used to own.

The JH13 pro freqphase please :D.
If for some reason the JH13pro FQ is banned and all the remaining units on earth have been destroyed, you could consider....
The heir 8.A is you like some action in the low end, or the Noble 4.S if you prefer a more neutral flavour.

thank you @abhi_jollyguy :)[DOUBLEPOST=1385750257][/DOUBLEPOST]Recieved the DT990 pros today :cool:. Very comfortable, but not extremely comfy like my ATH-A900s. The sound? Well! a mixed bag of reactions :confused:AAHH!WHOA!ZZZZ!OUCH :). will update after the EAR-BRAIN-DRIVER :nailbiting:Burn-in

Last edited:
:eek: A lynx hilo could be considered?? What are you doing, mucking around in the budget-fi world? :D

Context is important ;). I mentioned that instead of spreading $1200 across 10 things, a Lynx Hilo could serve as a meaningful upgrade to all my DACs.

Are the DT880s your go-to headphones ATM?

I have not used anything in a while. I use headphones even more sparingly. DT880 are my favorites of the two (HD600 with Silver Cable). But, they don't get as much ear time as I wish. Power situation has become precarious rendering Headphone setup idle for the time being.

I do hope you get to try the RE-400s. They seem way too under-priced at 100$.
Were the Se-535, UM3X, monster tributes on your mids-list? Although the BA200s and RE-400 could be the more well rounded options. Also, you've tried the 262 right?

I was very interested in both UM3X and Monster Tributes at one point, but that interest has waned over time. There are more alternatives (W4R and better build quality than Monsters respectively). I have tried RE-262 twice thanks to @mukulymn. Since I've tried SE535 as well, it too is off my bucket list.

I am not against trying any IEM, just hesitant buying. Take the hint and send your RE-400s soon :p

PPS: Forget the QB2s for now. :p Unless you'll really use them, of course.

There's always space in my IEM rack. So, expect me to yield to temptation one of these days :(. I definitely do use everything I buy... for sometime. After that, they hibernate for a very long time.

IMO, you should go for JH13FP. Is Heir without Wizard worth taking a risk? I myself am attracted towards Noble 4S.
and @
kenpachiroks

The JH13FP the one I want the most. Not going to be tempted by the Heir BF sale, buying a used one and getting it reshelled by them for 99USD is still cheaper.

Noble 4C interest me, the 4S is the silicone version right? Quite a markup there. But I think I will hold off until next year. Wait for Kaiser 10 and Roxanne (both custom and universal) reviews to start coming out. I'm a large guy with surprisingly small ears :| so these extra drivers might not be the way to go.

Any thoughts on the 1964 V6 stage? Jaben has the demo units for all the FitEar customs now, but people claim the universal actually sound better.

Didn't know it made a difference to the sound. Still on the comfort and isolation fronts alone the silicone seems to be a winner. The acrylic CIEMS do start to cause a bit of discomfort after a couple of hours, especially when you end falling asleep with them on and happen to roll on your side. I'm guessing its worse for the people who ask for the musician type seal and opt for longer canals.

Think the sheer number of new offerings makes the V6 seem a bit boring in comparison, but after the Tzar 350 I feel I can handle any kind of sibilance. Was hoping UM and Frogbeats would have something going for black friday, the Miracle is brilliant and the C4 seems like a pretty good CIEM too.

I think I'll end up with a used Fitear F111 or save a load of cash and get a used ER4P for now. I like not being broke far too much to splurge on higher end iems right now and we all know its a slippery slope, after the IEMs its almost inevitable that the hunt will commence for that amp which gives you "prefect synergy".

1. I had an order at Amazon for Clip Zip, 64GB microSDXC and Steel Series Flux - which would have been a wonderful combo (along with some books to reach $125 for Amazon Global Free Shipping). But, after staring at my cart for a full two days, decided to order just Steel Series Flux. It will come whenever it is available on Amazon.
  2. After tossing up a long while between RE-400 and Philips Fidelio S2 (Amazon JP -> Tenso), finally settled for RE-400
  3. I had almost ordered Noble 4S. But it was a bit too much. Then for the longest part of the day, I was staring at the Noble 4C page, changing selections and working out how much it would cost. After going back and forth a million times between $650-720 using various options, I got frustrated and ended up ordering a Noble 4 Universal. I know there were severe issues with Heir 4Ai as compared to Heir 4A. Hopefully, Wizard has fixed the differences this time. It would be my costliest IEM to date in INR terms. Hoping it doesn't turn out to be a huge disappointment. Fingers crossed.
So, that concludes the story of my Black Friday shopping along with the death of my wallet.

THE END

Sold my 8.a and couldn't be happier , u guys should look into the 1plus2 instead . offers high end sound rather then going customs , I'm getting them once I sort my finances out hopefully

Sold my 8.a and couldn't be happier , u guys should look into the 1plus2 instead . offers high end sound rather then going customs , I'm getting them once I sort my finances out hopefully
The 1plus2 is the one with that 1000 USD optional cable isn't it!! Crazy how expensive the high end universals are these days but they're up there with customs in terms of sound, and from what you see on various forums their second hand values don't drop much which is always nice if you're not too happy with them.

I didn't realise the extent of high-end IEMs and cans TE members were into! Thats some serious cash being spent out here. Thumbs up to you guys!
I am looking for a good IEM solution after almost having cleared my IEM inventory!!
I pulled the trigger on the NCIX $200 UE900 deal but later cancelled my order after reading the numerous build issues on these IEMs. I am not sure if that was a good decision. I was too afraid to pull the trigger on the IE80 $200 deal wondering if I would like their sound signature.
I havn't had too many IEMs to really be able to discover what sound signature I like. I own the TF-10 but the fit is terrible for me; I owned the RE-0s and loved them but just felt that they didnt sound great right out of iphone, but with the right amount of juice and some EQing they were mind-boggling!! I loved my cheap Nuforce-6s, which recently died on me; they were light, comfy, sounded airy and really good right out of the iphone.
I am now wondering which IEM i should. I am hoping for some good deals on Cyber Monday. Also, thinking about the Westone 3 for $180. Also, there is nice sale on Heir 4a.i. Any thoughts/suggestions on this?

Steelseries flux for 20$on steelseries.com.

It is listed at $35 here and they do not ship to India. Was it after a coupon code? Can you give a link to the offer page? If it was $20, I can still ask Amazon for a price match.

@guptaji

You liked RE0 as well as NE-6? Those are two different kinds of signatures. I guess you need to try out some IEMs, figure out the specifics of your taste before dropping lot of money. I like everything and collect different signatures. You could do that too ;)

@thrift,

I'd be able to tell you how they look before Dec 25th. But I guess some head-fiers in US will get it faster before me :)

1. I had an order at Amazon for Clip Zip, 64GB microSDXC and Steel Series Flux - which would have been a wonderful combo (along with some books to reach $125 for Amazon Global Free Shipping). But, after staring at my cart for a full two days, decided to order just Steel Series Flux. It will come whenever it is available on Amazon.
  2. After tossing up a long while between RE-400 and Philips Fidelio S2 (Amazon JP -> Tenso), finally settled for RE-400
  3. I had almost ordered Noble 4S. But it was a bit too much. Then for the longest part of the day, I was staring at the Noble 4C page, changing selections and working out how much it would cost. After going back and forth a million times between $650-720 using various options, I got frustrated and ended up ordering a Noble 4 Universal. I know there were severe issues with Heir 4Ai as compared to Heir 4A. Hopefully, Wizard has fixed the differences this time. It would be my costliest IEM to date in INR terms. Hoping it doesn't turn out to be a huge disappointment. Fingers crossed.
So, that concludes the story of my Black Friday shopping along with the death of my wallet.

THE END

What :woot:
I did hear a wallet scream..
Why did you go for the universal? Apart from the possible long term fit issues and your shopping frustration(?:hilarious:)

Interested in your take on the flux in ears. Btw, shipping charge?

Should've gone for the fidelios:). I could have sent my RE-400s over. That way you could have tried both. Nevertheless, I'm sure the RE-400(with a narrow sub-bass lift) will wedge itself firmly into your collection.

Last edited:
Why did you go for the universal? Apart from the possible long term fit issues and your shopping frustration

If it was the earlier days, I would have definitely gone for 4S or at least 4C. These days, I am trying to focus a little bit more on long term goals and hence cannot be totally reckless (I am allowed to be reckless from time to time, just not all the time :p) when it comes to spending. Hence, I decided to save on the extra $300-500 on the custom and be satisfied with the universal version.

Interested in your take on the flux in ears. Btw, shipping charge?

It came to $41 odd shipped including Import duty. Shipping was only $6 odd. I am hoping that there is no customs to make it an even sweeter deal.

Should've gone for the fidelios:)

Could still go for it sometime later ;)

Back