CPU/Mobo Random system Power-offs.... Help to troubleshoot

I have a desktop restart issue of late that has me wondering what is going wrong. The system would switch off all of a sudden, but the motherboard LED is ON. On moving my mouse or hitting a key, the system will boot up again (move mouse like waking up from standby). There is no pattern in occurrance.. it just happens randomly.. sometimes continously every 5 or so mins.. sometimes not at all and runs fine for hours.

And once during one of those frequent power-offs I went into BIOS and was monitoring my CPU temp and it powered off by itself even with CPU temps around 50-55C while I was in BIOS itself. So it gets me to thinking it must be a hardware issue. I suspect things in the following order

1.PSU - Maybe it fluctuates just enough to power-off the system. It's a default PSU that comes with Zebronics cabinet..But it reboots itself once I move my mouse.. that makes me wonder if it is due to motherborad issue. Will the system start on a mouse move if the PSU was at fault?? I doubt it.

2.Motherboard - I replaced it recently.. around 2 months ago and it was runnning fine for the first month before this happened. The model is ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS

3.RAM - I suspet this too because when it starts to power-off, I replaced the 2GB DDR2 Kingston ram into the other slot in motherboard and this seems to prevent it from happening... at least for a couple of days..Have been swapping the RAM on two slots for 3-4 times now....

4.Proccy - it's an old Intel E6300 C2D@1.86Ghz. Initially I suspected shutdown due to overheating since I put it on the new board with new thermal paste and thought maybe the Cooler was not seated properly. BUt the temps are hovering around 55C which I feel is normal.

Is there any way to narrow down on what might be wrong? The thing is, its not reproducible and happens randomly, maybe even days apart and I have to source a test replacement each from someone else and it might be more than a month before I am done with my Trial and error... :(

It can b psu issue but i wudn't advice u to buy directly a new psu... First try someone else's in ur pc if ur pc doesn't give dat problem then u can b sure that psu is the culprit but if ur pc gives the same problem even after changing the psu then may b some other component is causing the problem...

i think its the psu, had exactly the same prob with my friends pc. Changed the psu n it worked fine after that.

Though i also doubt the ram.

it might be a psu issue, you can disconnect from cabinet open it and check for any bulged caps, this is first visual inspection you can do by yourself and replace with the same value

Hi,
I just disconnected every wire, cleaned up the system completely, rewired in the best way I could. I am actually proud of my cable management in my 1500Rs Zebronic cabbie which is not a very great case. Now it is running along properly (even 30hrs continuously once after that) and I have not noticed the problem... and my case is now neat and clean too..

Yes, I will be getting my new PSU (Corsair 600w Modxstream along with the GTX460 soon :D:D I know it's not a great PSU, but for my config it shld be more than enough and @ 39$ after rebates, felt it was a good deal and it being modular too) very soon.. :clap::clap:

So till then, hoping my curent PSU holds up and things go fine.

vpraveenis said:
Hi,

I just disconnected every wire, cleaned up the system completely, rewired in the best way I could. I am actually proud of my cable management in my 1500Rs Zebronic cabbie which is not a very great case. Now it is running along properly (even 30hrs continuously once after that) and I have not noticed the problem... and my case is now neat and clean too..

Yes, I will be getting my new PSU (Corsair 600w Modxstream along with the GTX460 soon :D:D I know it's not a great PSU, but for my config it shld be more than enough and @ 39$ after rebates, felt it was a good deal and it being modular too) very soon.. :clap::clap:

So till then, hoping my curent PSU holds up and things go fine.
When did corsair launch Corsair Modxtream lineup lol...

Back