Ransomware - WannaCry

Is there any way for a user to determine if his Windows is (still) vulnerable to this malware ?
Has anyone developed a utility to do that ?
Check this-

For people using the following versions of Windows, make sure you have the following patches installed on your machine:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm more interested in his claim that win xp can't be infected over the network. What about all the reports of ATMs in china showing the ransom note window then? The email, flash drive, etc. vectors won't work on an ATM, only the SMB exploit.

I believe that hinges on a few factors

Firstly, you need to have not rebooted the computer and secondly, luck.

and you need huge balls to do anything on the only available copy of your important work. (I'm assuming that if you require to decrypt it, then you need something on it badly, else you might as well as just remove the hdd and install a new os)

You don't really need to reinstall the OS. Only documents and media files are encrypted, and once you follow the rather straightforward way of cleaning out the malware, your system is fine.

The irony is that these holes were because of MS, and switching to Linux is the better option - and educating users is best.
BOSS Linux? :D

But yeah if the stats are right that the majority of infected PCs were running Win 7, then they all could've upgraded to Win 10 for free last year.

Yeah but you know corporates, slow to upgrade and Win10 Enterprise Edition isn't exactly great for enterprises (yet). My workplace still uses Win7 mandatory.

Back