Ransomware - WannaCry

Though Russian hackers have been blamed for introducing this, it may be Chinese as well..
70282426a9d36871c0042dd8c56768c4.jpg

Can't vouch for the authenticity of the picture, shared as received

Sorry, i meant local computer damage, but thanks for the info. This is friggin insane. Why is india such a huge target? Largest user base with old pirated windows?

funny thing is they aint gonna get jack sh!t from most indians. Who would rather just reformat and move on than pay money to some morons in russia/china...

NSA से दोस्ती Microsoft की, और खर्चा जनता का?

Translation: This loophole was left open/created by Microsoft deliberately without customer's acknowledgement.
Why don't the affected users demand reimbursement from Microsoft.

NSA से दोस्ती Microsoft की, और खर्चा जनता का?

Translation: This loophole was left open/created by Microsoft deliberately without customer's acknowledgement.
Why don't the affected users demand reimbursement from Microsoft.

What? Stop being one of those dumb people who propagate myths like 'big companies like Microsoft, Norton, McAfee are behind viruses because in the end people buy their stuff'. It's so stupid and yet so widespread that I encounter it everywhere.

In this specific instance, the patch for the exploit was released almost two months back (KB3212646). If people are not updating or still using XP, it's their fault. Not Microsoft's. Definitely NSA's though. Good luck suing the US of A.

If people are not updating or still using XP, it's their fault. Not Microsoft's.

This is definitely microsoft's fault. For releasing POS os after os. (ok 7 wasn't bad but i was trying to make a point ;-) j/k

What? Stop being one of those dumb people who propagate myths like 'big companies like Microsoft, Norton, McAfee are behind viruses because in the end people buy their stuff'. It's so stupid and yet so widespread that I encounter it everywhere.

I wouldn't be so quick to discount any possibility even if it looks like a conspiracy theory. See this article. The creators are either really stupid or they have some other motive. Like calling out the NSA etc. The creators have gained very little in this deployment. They HAVE made the world aware, which could be a good thing. But the fact is regardless of whether they're behind this or not, M$ has the most to gain from this. All the poor frightened people who will migrate from XP to win10. Not just the revenue, but all the spying they can now do. Would anyone have believed that the CIA/NSA would weaponize a windows exploit to create malware if these whistleblowers (consipracy theorists till the documents are leaked) hadn't revealed it?

cant shut down as its my work laptop. installed a antivirus now to be safe.

Can an antivirus stop a wannacry attack? on an unpatched system? and on a patched system is it even needed? i'm talking specifically about this malware not about having an a/v installed in general...

Update: This twitter page is tracking payments made to the three bitcoin accounts hardcoded in the wannacry thingy.

Does anyone know if all the infected systems are running win xp or there are vista/7/8 too in the list?

This page has a lot of the details i was looking for. Under 'Malware analysis'

.der, .pfx, .key, .crt, .csr, .p12, .pem, .odt, .sxw, .stw, .3ds, .max, .3dm, .ods, .sxc, .stc, .dif, .slk, .wb2, .odp, .sxd, .std, .sxm, .sqlite3, .sqlitedb, .sql, .accdb, .mdb, .dbf, .odb, .mdf, .ldf, .cpp, .pas, .asm, .cmd, .bat, .vbs, .sch, .jsp, .php, .asp, .java, .jar, .class, .mp3, .wav, .swf, .fla, .wmv, .mpg, .vob, .mpeg, .asf, .avi, .mov, .mp4, .mkv, .flv, .wma, .mid, .m3u, .m4u, .svg, .psd, .tiff, .tif, .raw, .gif, .png, .bmp, .jpg, .jpeg, .iso, .backup, .zip, .rar, .tgz, .tar, .bak, .ARC, .vmdk, .vdi, .sldm, .sldx, .sti, .sxi, .dwg, .pdf, .wk1, .wks, .rtf, .csv, .txt, .msg, .pst, .ppsx, .ppsm, .pps, .pot, .pptm, .pptx, .ppt, .xltm, .xltx, .xlc, .xlm, .xlt, .xlw, .xlsb, .xlsm, .xlsx, .xls, .dotm, .dot, .docm, .docx, .doc

This basically means that while your OS is 'safe' all your data and documents on all drives are pretty much toast. You can backup a lot of stuff. But probably not huge files like movies etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on insider updates for my personal machines. nothing happened to mine. work laptop... I dont care.

Can't vouch for the authenticity of the picture, shared as received

Nah, looks like a biased pic. Chinese are heavily affected too. Latest updates on the interwebs is that this ransomware code has some overlap with North Korean malware code.

Well, Linux lacks the shineyness to attract amateur users (Windows users). Let the mobile platform slowly kill the desktop (and Windows).

anyone looking it as a conspiracy by microsoft and anti virus companies so people buy the latest and original windows only ? most media channels mentioning if you using pirated and old windos you at risk. seems fishy

anyone looking it as a conspiracy by microsoft and anti virus companies so people buy the latest and original windows only ? most media channels mentioning if you using pirated and old windos you at risk. seems fishy

:banghead: You really think microsoft or antivirus companies are going encrypt hospital computers, just so people buy their products? Also, pirated windows can receive patches from official servers if you know what to do...
The first version of the ransomware had the same coding similarity to the sony hack and bangladesh bank heist also they saidt hat the lazarus group was being a state actor for north korea. But it seems amateurish they would leave a kill switch in there. Now there are new variants of wannacry without the killswitch but it doesn't seem to be the same group.

Big companies do much more inhuman things for money. But, I am sure this is going to harm Windows than help them.

After a while people are not going to be talking about it being M$'s fault for leaving the vulnerabilities in the OS. But they will definitely remember that old OSs are insecure and they should upgrade to the latest and greatest (spyware POS OS). If you think this bad publicity will keep people from using windows, think again.

Ok so my laptop has stopped working and ia refusing to turn on. Am i hit with this worm ???

You probably just wore it out by watching too much of the special stuff. :p

WannaCry doesn't kill your system or even your OS. Everything will keep running perfectly. You will just lose all your documents and media files. See the list of file types I posted earlier which will be encrypted by it.

From what I know, the patch to counter Wannacry Malware was in March catalogue -Microsoft Security Bulletin MS17-010.
KB3212646 is from January.
Oh my bad. I think that patch was superseded. Got it mixed up.

Big companies do much more inhuman things for money. But, I am sure this is going to harm Windows than help them.
Yeah, most sysadmins are definitely not happy with Windows10. If users are using only Office products and web browsers, moving them to Linux would be advised over buying new OS from M$.

Is there any way for a user to determine if his Windows is (still) vulnerable to this malware ?
Has anyone developed a utility to do that ?

Back