Raspberry Pi 2 is here !

random2

Adept
Let’s get the good stuff out of the way above the fold. Raspberry Pi 2 is now on sale for $35 (the same price as the existing Model B+)

Source - http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

Major changes -
A 900Mhz quad core Cortex A7 processor
1GB memory

Obviously, max power draw bumps up to 4W

Its now more of a small form factor computer. More so as it can now run Ubuntu and MS Windows 10.

Last edited:
I was quite surprised by MS announcing that it will run Windows 10. I just hope IDM runs on the Windows 10 version that it will support. Then it will be the perfect downloading machine.

I was quite surprised by MS announcing that it will run Windows 10. I just hope IDM runs on the Windows 10 version that it will support. Then it will be the perfect downloading machine.

Windows 10 for the RPi 2 will only run modern apps. AFAIK, IDM is just a regular Win32/64 app, so it won't work.

However, a regular install of Debian (Raspbian) or XBMC (Raspbmc) is a fully functional Linux machine, so you can install transmission-daemon on it for all torrenting needs. transmission-deamon can be controlled remotely via the browser or Win32 desktop apps like Transmission Remote or one of the several Android apps on the phone or tablet. I personally use and can vouch for GearShift, Torrnado, Remote Transmission and Transdrone. (Yeah, I use all four apps because they all have unique highlight features).

The RPi has been the perfect downloading machine for a few years, now!

I was totally excited yesterday when MS said that they'd give away Windows 10 for free on the RPi 2, but after thinking about it for some time, I don't think that means much. There are hardly any really useful modern UI/universal apps out there and even fewer would be great candidates to run on an always-on, background, headless machine such as the RPi. Linux already does the job there perfectly. I'm way more keen on checking out the performance of ARMv7 Wheezy on that quad-core CPU and 1GB of RAM than Windows 10!

I am pretty excited... we can now say "cortana... start pron" ;)
btw, the regular win32/64 apps definitely wont work unless you compile them for ARM.

Quad core and windows 10 should be interesting especially if it can be used as a plex media server. I was looking into it a week back and was sad to learn that rasplex was just a client and the RPI was too we weak for this and Plex has no plans for RPI. Feel a bit optimistic now

Back