Raspberry Pi 4 announced with 4K support and up to 4GB of RAM

Setup the 1gb RPI4 as a NAS with a 1TB HDD. Transfer speeds of big files are 100-120MBps both read and write over gigabit network. Really happy with the speeds. If its reliable will get a 4tb drive or 2 of them and attach it. Extended the network with a daisychained switch. Router->gigabit switch->gigabit switch.
Will be checking how good it is over the month. Will add more stuff via Docker.

Also got an SSD and powered USB to extend it. Figuring out a more elaborate setup.

Are you guys using any cooling case for the Rpi4?

I am using this one for my 4GB RAM model-

The case works well enough for my Rpi based headless torrent downloader /Pihole box. Temperatures are at around 45C with 20% CPU usage at an ambient temperature of 25C.
I didn't run a stress test in the RPi as its cool enough for my daily usage but I need to see what happens when Indian summers kick in.
Keep in mind though that the GPIO pins are not easily accessible and you have to plan ahead in terms of GPIO extension cables if thats important to you.
I can't say anything about Wifi as its connected to my LAN via ethernet cable.
With a Samsung external SSD attached to it I topped out at around 110 MB/s while writing to my smb share which has 2x8 TB WD Red 5400 RPM hard drives in SW RAID 1 via Windows Storage Spaces.

I checked the Argon One which seems to be the best but left it alone due to its larger footprint.

I dont see the point of these expensive cases that constitute 20-40% cost of of the machine. . I just leave mine without cases. I got a cluster case now that is in transit. Will have a 120mm fan that blows air at the whole case. Its supposed to be enough for all but extreme cases.

We
I dont see the point of these expensive cases that constitute 20-40% cost of of the machine. . I just leave mine without cases. I got a cluster case now that is in transit. Will have a 120mm fan that blows air at the whole case. Its supposed to be enough for all but extreme cases.
Well a proper 120 mm fan will cost almost the same as the passive Aluminium case. Moreover the little bugger gets pretty hot without any heatsink.
Post automatically merged:

I'm using the Golden color one....Looks very good

On this Topic here is nice video at Youtube

The FLIRC case has been the go to for passively cooling the Pi from Pi3 onwards but a tad too expensive for a box with little aluminium mass.

However it has been trounced by the Ice-Pi cooler in sheer brute force and the Argon One in terms of cooling performance as well as nifty features.

We

Well a proper 120 mm fan will cost almost the same as the passive Aluminium case. Moreover the little bugger gets pretty hot without any heatsink.
Youre correct. But it will blow over 2-3 Pis. Plus the small fans seem to be louder. Are ones on your case loud?

Youre correct. But it will blow over 2-3 Pis. Plus the small fans seem to be louder. Are ones on your case loud?
I use a fully passive case which is a chunk of Aluminium with contact points for the CPU and USB controller

1576346042792.png

I paid around 1225 bucks for the case. BTW are you going for a PWM fan powered by GPiO headers?

From my initial snooping around in the internet when I was weighing solutions for Rpi4 that seems a bit tricky.

On another note whats your use case for multiple stacked Pi 4s?

Last edited:
I use a fully passive case which is a chunk of Aluminium with contact points for the CPU and USB controller

View attachment 83800

I paid around 1225 bucks for the case. BTW are you going for a PWM fan powered by GPiO headers?

From my initial snooping around in the internet when I was weighing solutions for Rpi4 that seems a bit tricky.

On another note whats your use case for multiple stacked Pi 4s?

I got a cluster case that has around 5 shelves. Using 2 PI in two shelves and rest for resting the external drives and an Orange pi zero. Will try to find a low rpm low speed fan that runs 24/7. No need for complex stuff. The space needs some air movement anyway since it has my modem, switch, epbax etc too.

I use them individually. One as backup server with storage running OpenMediaVault and docker, one as a development server for now. Might experiment with distributed loads when i have time. (swapping sd cards ftw)

Given if someone was into DIY and learning... is Nvidia Jetson a better option?? I have to say that RPi 4 is hot as hell..
AFAIK The Jetson is way more powerful and much more expensive. With the case I have the Rpi4 topped out at 63C with the inbuilt 20 min 100% CPU stress test on DietPi OS image.

This is my Rpi4+250 GB SSD setup living below my PC desk on an adhesive bathroom soap holder of all things. :p

20191214_232005.jpg

Given if someone was into DIY and learning... is Nvidia Jetson a better option?? I have to say that RPi 4 is hot as hell..
Nothing else has the amount of support RPI has. For the price, its a treasure.

AFAIK The Jetson is way more powerful and much more expensive. With the case I have the Rpi4 topped out at 63C with the inbuilt 20 min 100% CPU stress test on DietPi OS image.

This is my Rpi4+250 GB SSD setup living below my PC desk on an adhesive bathroom soap holder of all things. :p

View attachment 83829
Is that an m2 ssd? Nice man! I've got my samsung 2.5inch 250gb ssd but havent got it connected to the second RPI :(

Is that an m2 ssd? Nice man! I've got my samsung 2.5inch 250gb ssd but havent got it connected to the second RPI :(

Yeah I have a 860 Evo in a Transcend enclosure not for rw speeds but rather compactness and longevity in case the power cable is tugged by mistake.

I only use this kit for a rss feed operated torrent downloader using flexget and qbittorrent as well as a Pi-hole server.

Yeah I have a 860 Evo in a Transcend enclosure not for rw speeds but rather compactness and longevity in case the power cable is tugged by mistake.

I only use this kit for a rss feed operated torrent downloader using flexget and qbittorrent as well as a Pi-hole server.
With docker you can use it for a LOT more since rpi4 is much more powerful than last gens.. PiHole would be the best place to start :D

Wow the cost of that enclosure is how much i paid for my Evo 250gb (sata) :D

With docker you can use it for a LOT more since rpi4 is much more powerful than last gens.. PiHole would be the best place to start :D

Wow the cost of that enclosure is how much i paid for my Evo 250gb (sata) :D
What are your use cases for the Pi except for a NAS/automated backup server?

What are your use cases for the Pi except for a NAS/automated backup server?
Im yet to do all of these, but soon. Local Web development server, local Webserver, pihole (adblock dns), VPN server, download server, file server for kodi etc, Just displaying some static info using hdmi, media player for tvs. There's actually a lot more you can do with it. Just search raspberry pi 4 on youtube for ideas.And check the RPI reddit.

Ps- Home automation ->

Back