Rate the Last Movie You Saw...

John Wick 2 - 7.5/10
People, go out and watch this one. There are more than a couple of good action sequences to hold you in your places,
and keep your interest going. W.e it lacked in substance, it compensated with the treatment. Keanu being directed by his Matrix movie stunt double has yielded something which looks like a well deserved sequel.

Brain Donors - 7.5/10
Gags thrown at express pace! Hilarious and pretty much the sorts one would wanna watch with friends to double up the fun.
John Turturro is particularly impressive.

The Big Clock [1948] - 7.7/10
Gripping and well crafted Noir. A man racing against time to clear his name before he catches himself.
Pleasantly surprised to find a less talked about movie coming through.

Dark City [1998] - 7.8/10
Obvious mention that this thing must have influenced the Matrix.. and not just by selling its set pieces to the well known movie.

Moana - 6/10
Stupid stuff. Should have spent more on a storyline than gfx alone. Repetitive song didnt helped matters either.

John Wick 2 - 7.5/10
People, go out and watch this one. There are more than a couple of good action sequences to hold you in your places,
and keep your interest going. W.e it lacked in substance, it compensated with the treatment. Keanu being directed by his Matrix movie stunt double has yielded something which looks like a well deserved sequel.
For some reason the number of shows for this movie in Bangalore can only be described as "greater than 0". That too when stupidity like Jolly LLB 2 has so many shows, on that note:

Jolly LLB 2 - 0/10 -> Full of fillers and pointless scenes.

^^
I too was surprised that shows for JB2 are comparatively lesser in my area than what a popcorn movie gen bags. This friday onwards, shows for JW should increase owing to good overall reports + natural dip in response towards JLLB. I may go for a second viewing :D

Had decided long back that JLLB2 is a home only kinda movie, but surprised at the rating you awarded.

^^
I guess you meant JW2 ;)

IMHO, the current batch of mainstream hindi movies can be described as repetitive slug. Raees with its own "young child joins the underworld to grow into a good hearted don". Or Kaabil with its near Mithun movie like plot of "someone got raped and suicide...so revenge". Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with a repeated plot, Manmohan Desai of the old did the "lost siblings" multiple times and I enjoy a lot of them. Its the way these movies play out which piss me off.

But JLLB2 is the "Hangover" of the Indian sequels ie repeat the same old trope of "uncanny lawyer learns the error of his ways and fights for justice" from the first part. If that is not bad enough it has a lot of pointless scenes which are not song sequences, some plot points go on for 20-30 minutes with zero pay off.

any good revenge movies to watch this weekend which have good acting and unique stories? english/hindi both okay. last saw law abiding citizen and it was nice.

John Wick 2- Finally had to use ahem sources to watch this as the number of shows remained quite low. Its a decent all out non-superhero action movie with barely any jump cuts. I specially like the ending, it could as well be a psychological thriller with the doubts being sowed into his mind. My rating 8.5/10

John Wick 2- Finally had to use ahem sources to watch this as the number of shows remained quite low. Its a decent all out non-superhero action movie with barely any jump cuts. I specially like the ending, it could as well be a psychological thriller with the doubts being sowed into his mind. My rating 8.5/10
I am not so sure about the ending.
Being a stonecold killer, i dont understand why he breaks the continental rules. If he was avenging the wife (or dog :)), then i understand. But killing Santini would not remove the bounty and get him killed or excommunicated. So why did he do it? Looked like a set up for JW3.
Anyways, i enjoyed the movie. 8.5/10.

Being a stonecold killer, i dont understand why he breaks the continental rules. If he was avenging the wife (or dog :)), then i understand. But killing Santini would not remove the bounty and get him killed or excommunicated. So why did he do it? Looked like a set up for JW3.

I think he had no choice, Santini was much richer than JW, so he could easily out stay him in the Continental, being safe. Outside, JW would be constantly hunted as the contract put out by Santini would still be valid. Also Santini could grow his empire while sitting inside the hotel. So JW had no choice but to kill him.

I was actually talking about the scene after he meets Winston. As for your question:
Santini's sister does tell him that he wants to take over New York once he gets his "high table" seat. Bowrey King was not aware of this. Same could be said about Winston too. Santini tells Winston- "Enjoy this empire while you can" alluding the fact that he will try and "excommunicado" John Wick later. Plus he burned down the "church" as Winston put it but didn't keep his part of the bargain. So everything put together he had to kill Santini irrespective of consequences. Btw, my guess is once Winston was made aware of Santini's plan he decided to give JW a marker.

Sure raising the stakes like this was all about prepping for the sequel. But at least its better than an after-credit scene showing Cassian being alive or Ares being given some kind of army.

Passengers (2016) 7/10

A slickly made, visually stunning Hollywood interpretation of 'sci-fi'. The 'love' bits are cheesy, cliche and predicable, the movie even goes so far as to borrow a specific sequence from Gravity and Mission to Mars. Heck, even the ending was ultra-Hollywoody. If you can get past these issues, you might like it. I would call it a bit chick-flicky, it's quite suitable for a lovey-dovey couple to watch really.

Completely forgot to mention Martin Sheen stole the show. And Morpheus was pretty good too. Actually the supporting cast was better than those two LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hidden Figures - 8/10

Its was nominated for Oscar and is about black woman in NASA during the space race. It is touching story how people sometime don't get their dues .

Split 8/10.

Nice thriller and a surprise ending :D. Shyamalan should never be allowed to make big budget stuff, his low budget movies are the best.

Mildred Pierce [1945] - 7.8
A movie with a female oriented plot, Joan crawford made the role entirely hers. Brilliant performance from Ann Blyth as well.
How a lady rises up in the society through hard work and yet fails to gain her daughter.. a well made drama+noir movie.

The Narrow Margin [1952] - 7.7

To call this as a B movie will be a great disservice. A very good movie with very impressive direction/screenplay.
Thrilling to the last bit.

Percy [1989]- 7/10
A movie revolving around Gujarati Parsi family in Mumbai. One of the ignored gems from NFDC camp.

Sing [2016] - 8/10
Had high expectations, and turned out better than that. Good animation, decent story, and well executed.
If you can, see it at the theaters. Def worth the time and money.

Logan [2017] - 8.2/10
Finally a superhero movie without the 'Let us/Gotta save the world!' non sense theme. Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Boyd.. everybody came good but Dafne Keen deserves spl mention.
The action was good (thank God for the R rating), and could have been a bit more, esp involving Boyd, but overall a very well made movie. Few scenes got me emotionally, and that kinda content was good to see in an X Men movie.

Last edited:
Back