Rate the Last Movie You Saw...

Dunkirk - 8.5/10 - Amazingly accurate portrayal of an evacuation where there are no heroes. The attention to detail and the aerial dog fights were the best I've seen till date in any war movie. Not much character development but well that's the way of the movie. Its a factual movie based on an event so I'd give it that leeway.

War for the Planet of the Apes - 9.5/10 - Movie of the year for me so far. This film is just epic both in scale and also in execution. Andy Serkis deserves an oscar for this.

Some others I watched recently
Mr Holmes - 9/10 - Ian McKellan as a retired Sherlock Holmes does a beautiful portrayal of an ageing detective trying to recollect his past. A slightly slow movie but highly underrated.

The Circle - 2/10 - Interesting concept marred by a horrible script and totally wasted actors. I wonder why Tom Hanks and Emma Watson accepted this piece of trash script.

Angamaly Diaries - 10/10
This has ended up being my favourite gangster movie. It reminds me a lot of City of God but unlike that and typical gangster movies, the characters are all funny and likeable.

Angamaly Diaries - 10/10
This has ended up being my favourite gangster movie. It reminds me a lot of City of God but unlike that and typical gangster movies, the characters are all funny and likeable.

I really need to watch this now. Heard a lot of hype but my cuz who saw it told me it was pretty average etc so i put it off. And if it's even an iota like cidade de deus, then i'll probably love it.

I kinda liked Alien Covenant only for the few scenes of dialogue between the two clones and the initial scene with Weyland and the clone. Rest of the film was not worth the time.

You sir, are a true fan of the science fiction i presume.

When i saw the opening scene between David and Weyland, i was like 'i'm in for the sci-fi treat of the decade'. Little did i know it would devolve into basically, transformers on a spaceship. It's like that scene was from some completely different movie. They started to open a whole can of existentialism, creation, the eventual dominance of true AI over man and a whole lot of mind-bending topics. Sadly true sci-fi doesn't make money, so they had to summer-blockbuster it. It was almost a copy of Prometheus from there on. The ending was kinda back on track, but poorly executed imo, in terms of script/story/content.
And i saw the final twist as soon as Walter got back on the shuttle.
From then on it was even more disappointing.

?[DOUBLEPOST=1501810802][/DOUBLEPOST]
Dunkirk 9-10. Watched in Imax. Cinematography and the background music were simply amazing.
I'm actually huge fan of Nolan but I didn't like Dunkirk. I mean, its an beautifully shot film but the soul of Nolan movies was missing I felt. I even saw it in Ex- Imax at hyderabad on big screen, but meh.[DOUBLEPOST=1501810977][/DOUBLEPOST]
Mr Holmes - 9/10 - Ian McKellan as a retired Sherlock Holmes does a beautiful portrayal of an ageing detective trying to recollect his past. A slightly slow movie but highly underrated.
Im huge fan of sherlock holmes, read all short stories plus seen all shows/movies. Mr holmes is one underrated classic portrayal of sherlock. Sir Ian is so good.

Last edited:
You sir, are a true fan of the science fiction i presume.

When i saw the opening scene between David and Weyland, i was like 'i'm in for the sci-fi treat of the decade'. Little did i know it would devolve into basically, transformers on a spaceship. It's like that scene was from some completely different movie. They started to open a whole can of existentialism, creation, the eventual dominance of true AI over man and a whole lot of mind-bending topics. Sadly true sci-fi doesn't make money, so they had to summer-blockbuster it. It was almost a copy of Prometheus from there on. The ending was kinda back on track, but poorly executed imo, in terms of script/story/content.
And i saw the final twist as soon as Walter got back on the shuttle.
From then on it was even more disappointing.
They basically merged Prometheus and Aliens into one. In third act, the movie suddenly shifted tone entirely and made it an action movie. But visuals were great tbh.

https://www.quora.com/Is-the-origin-of-Saul-Goodman-Its-all-good-man

They basically merged Prometheus and Aliens into one. In third act, the movie suddenly shifted tone entirely and made it an action movie. But visuals were great tbh.

Yeah, these days most movies have insanely high production values, so much so that you could easily overlook mediocre scripts and plots. At the start, with the charging sails, the visuals briefly reminded me of Gravity.

So many errors I feel. Why didn't they have no helmets when entering foreign planet? why not tell the actual problem to mother ship instead of repeatedly asking them for help help? Why follow an android whom you obviously distrust, into a dark room filled with eggs? so many stupid decisions.

Another movie "Life (2017 film)" had same errors. Team of highly trained astronauts, don't have ability to think with logic and have basic emotional quotient

Lol, it wasn't as bad as Prometheus though. The character decisions in that one would drive any viewer insane.

I really need to watch this now. Heard a lot of hype but my cuz who saw it told me it was pretty average etc so i put it off. And if it's even an iota like cidade de deus, then i'll probably love it.

Maybe it is because I relate to this movie more but I actually like this more than City of God.

Back