Windows Reactivating Win 10 on new PC

I had got a copy of windows 8.1 from the dreamsparks project long back. Which got a free upgrade to windows 10 pro.

I had then linked my digital license to my m$ account. I've sold my old PC and formatted the boot drive.

Now when I try to activate using the m$ account on my new PC it shows the old PC as where I would want to activate.

Is there a way to remotely deactivate my old PC so I can activate the license on my new PC.

Also does someone know the email for Microsoft support ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it looks like you are trying to use one property after you have sold it. You have mentioned that you sold the old PC with the Windows 8 you activated. So I do not think Microsoft will allow you to use the same Windows 8 license on your new computer.

If you are serious about it, you need to call the Microsoft tech support and say you lost your old PC and want to use the same Windows 8 license on your new computer.

Microsoft tech support number - 1800 102 1100

Online support - https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/hub/4338813/windows-help?os=windows-7

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick update from ACM support. They say M$ ceased all non University agreements and to take this up directly with them.
Post automatically merged:

Well, it looks like you are trying to use one property after you have sold it. You have mentioned that you sold the old PC with the Windows 8 you activated. So I do not think Microsoft will allow you to use the same Windows 8 license on your new computer.

If you are serious about it, you need to call the Microsoft tech support and say you lost your old PC and want to use the same Windows 8 license on your new computer.

Microsoft tech support number - 1800 102 1100

Online support - https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/hub/4338813/windows-help?os=windows-7
I did contact them and they wanted purchase proof. I have ACM receipt through Dreamsparks, but it mentions $0 in the invoice, plus I wasn't sure if it was legit so didn't share

Last edited:
Quick update from ACM support. They say M$ ceased all non University agreements and totake this up directly with them.
Post automatically merged:

I did contact them and they wanted purchase proof. I have ACM receipt through Dreamsparks, but it mentions $0 in the invoice, plus I wasn't sure if it was legit so didn't share

I do not think Microsoft will allow you to use the old Windows license on your new PC without proving the ownership. The second problem is your license type.

DreamSpark provided Windows license just for studying purpose with some restrictions.

DreamSpark is a Microsoft Program that supports technical education by providing access to Microsoft software for learning, teaching and research purposes.

So I do not think they will show much enthusiasm in transferring the Windows 8 from Dreamsparks from old PC to the new PC as they do with commercial licenses.

You can read more about it on https://softwarelicense.arizona.edu/microsoft-dreamspark

I had got a copy of windows 8.1 from the dreamsparks project long back. Which got a free upgrade to windows 10 pro.

I had then linked my digital license to my m$ account. I've sold my old PC and formatted the boot drive.

Now when I try to activate using the m$ account on my new PC it shows the old PC as where I would want to activate.

Is there a way to remotely deactivate my old PC so I can activate the license on my new PC.

Also does someone know the email for Microsoft support ?

Get a new license from ebay for less than 200-400 INR. This should solve your issues. The Dreamspark project has been superseded by other projects + you will need to show proof of being a student.

Get a new license from ebay for less than 200-400 INR. This should solve your issues. The Dreamspark project has been superseded by other projects + you will need to show proof of being a student.
Looks like I'm better off getting those OEM keys and praying they stay activated. Heard stories where they randomly get deactivated. But again it's 300 bucks, worth the gamble.

Looks like I'm better off getting those OEM keys and praying they stay activated. Heard stories where they randomly get deactivated. But again it's 300 bucks, worth the gamble.

Yes. Infact, there are cheaper ones as well. There is someone here on the forums as well, and some nutcases are picking those keys up at roughly 4x the rates.

When you're ready to reactivate, make sure that your device is connected to the internet and then follow the steps for either a digital license or product key.

If you have a digital license.

You’ll need to first add your Microsoft account and link your account to the digital license on your device. After linking your Microsoft account, run the Activation troubleshooter to reactivate Windows 10.

This troubleshooter will only be available if your copy of Windows 10 (version 1607 or later) isn’t activated.

To use the Activation troubleshooter:

1. Sign in as an administrator. For more info, see Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10.
  2. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Activation > Troubleshoot . The troubleshooter will show Windows can’t be activated on your device.
  3. Select I changed hardware on this device recently, then select Next.
  4. Enter your connected Microsoft account and password, then select Sign in. The troubleshooter will only work with the connected Microsoft account.
  5. From the list of devices that are linked to your Microsoft account, select the check box next to This is the device I’m using right now.
  6. Select Activate.
If you have a Product Key.

If Windows 10 wasn't pre-installed on your device when purchased and you used a product key to upgrade to Windows 10, then you'll need that same product key after the hardware change.
Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Activation > Change Product Key, then enter the product key.

Regards,
Adrian

Back