Video Really Confused!!! Buying TV under 45000 INR.

Hi folks!!!

My 10 year old Samsung CRT 30" is refusing to die(still as good as day 1 infact) but my family has got bored of it now.
As the title suggests I'm in the market for a new TV under 45.

Here are the requirements which I think the TV should fulfil:

Even though we will be having HD channels but the TV should give good picture quality with SD channels too because not all channels we see are available in HD.

Screen Size : 40+ inches.
Chromecast Support : Yes.
Connect with Gaming console in near future: Yes.
Connect with HDMI to view Laptop in Full HD: Yes.

Smart TV: No.
3D: No.

Apart from this I'm kinda confused about the brand I should go for. Should I go for the likes of Sony, Samsung nd LG. Or the newer ones in the market like Vu are good enough and will not break too soon!!!!

Eagerly waiting for the expert opinions from the TE folks :D

You won't get Sony for your price point. Look for LG instead. They use IPS panels and are good. Samsung uses a variety of panels for the same model. so it ends up as a lottery.

Its a premium for the brand value that they hold.

The same reason Apple is able to sell an iPhone at 75k when it costs just 10k to build.
The same reason that a jeans that you can buy for Rs 500 from a factory can cost anywhere from 2 to 20 times of that amount depending on which label you attach to it.

VU is so so, Micromax I won't touch with a pole. For the sake of mental peace go for either of the big three. Alternatives to these 3 would be Philips, Panasonic, Toshiba. Among Indian brands Videocon I guess but would avoid it.

Just went to Jumbo Electronics, GIP Noida and booked a Samsung 43J5100 for 48000 INR.

The colors were more vibrant than the similarly priced LG tvs. Sony TVs were a notch better in picture quality but over my budget.

A thing that I noticed that LG offerings had IPS panels whereas every other brand had VA panels including Samsung. I hope the ones with VA panel are as robust as IPS ones.

whats the general opinion on Vu \ Micromax TV''s the price points are very tempting..

I have used Micromax 50 incher for a decent amount of time at my friend's place, looks good and should suffice the need for usual HD DTH and Blu ray movies. I cannot find any difference when compared to my Samsung 5 series TV. The latest VU Tv's also look good and both Micromax and VU offer 3 years warranty options.

The era of good enough TV panels are here and it makes no sense to spend double the amount for a brand name unless you are a TV/Video enthusiast, I am also moving away from these big brands for my next TV. Going for the Full HD VU 55 inch, has good offers on Flipkart today with effective price reaching 40.5k.

The colors were more vibrant than the similarly priced LG tvs. Sony TVs were a notch better in picture quality but over my budget.

A thing that I noticed that LG offerings had IPS panels whereas every other brand had VA panels including Samsung. I hope the ones with VA panel are as robust as IPS ones.

Of course the colors would be more vibrant because they artificially make every thing vibrant. IPS panels have more accurate color reproduction.

Also don't forget that panel lottery is involved if you go for Samsung. The unit that you see in the showroom and the unit that you finally take home will not necessarily have the same panel. Both the panel type and supplier can change for the same model.

Last edited:
Back