Storage Solutions Recomendations to Build a Data Server with a Large Storage Capacity

chopsumbongw

Disciple
Hi, Just a brief about myself and my requirements. I am a Web Application Developer and possess basic skills in LINUX and building PCs. Recently our Buffalo NAS 8TB configured in Raid 5 crashed. It would not start and neither did the recovery work. After a bit of digging I deduced that the RAID was corrupted and in order to even think about a recovery i would have to take individual copies of each 2TB drive. We eventually got our data recovered but at a price. We store a lot of critical data on the HD namely 4K videos and large audio files from our production house. More precisely once the projects are completed the Final Cut is stored on this server. Now we would like to build our own NAS and in such a configuration that we have a back up always present. Presently we have 4x2TB and 2x3TB drives. I believe Raid 1 (mirror) would provide this functionality what I would like to know is 1) How many drives can i install into this system? (including the drives for mirror) 2) What is the system configuration needed to support this plan? I would appreciate any and all help.

chopsumbongw do you have any budgetary constraints on this project?

Jarod, stormblast help is required here. Thanks in advance, Cheerio!!

Sorry about the delayed response i did not get a notification on my mail. I had just logged into techenclave to bump the thread and say your response.

We have a budget - $1500
Since we already have 4x2TB + 2x3TB ( =14TB ) drives i don't think we would have to invest in more drives as even if we could have 7TB as effective storage. There would be a maximum of 10 users with access to the NAS.

I was looking at FreeNAS8 or Ubuntu Server.

Back