PC Peripherals Recommend a Good Inverter or UPS

guys i am looking for a Good Inverter ... which can give a Good back of 2 hrs or so with a 21' inch moniter ....

confused wat to go for .... home inverter or regular Comp UPS from APC

help me out

cheers:hap2:

2 hours is a lot of time with a 21" inch CRT, i doubt if you get a UPS with that backup time. I have seen some ads of UPS+ Inverter from luminous , check them out

For 2hrs backup time u are looking at 2000va and above, u get those only in the smart ups series, which cost a lot. Why do you need so much backup time ?

hmmm.... we have lots of power cuts in place ... most of the time i am not @ home ... i leave my PC On 24 * 7 & leave for downloads... most of the time Ups dies down....

how about 1.5k from APC .... just to keep the only Cpu going atleast for 2 hours

Instead of buying a UPS with 2 hour backup time why don't you buy an UPS with say 30 min. backup and an inverter which can provide power backup for 5 hours or so and connect them.This setup will cost you much less.

phoenix007 said:
Instead of buying a UPS with 2 hour backup time why don't you buy an UPS with say 30 min. backup and an inverter which can provide power backup for 5 hours or so and connect them.This setup will cost you much less.

hey phoenix i already have 30 mins Backup Ups...Can u help me out on the inverter Part ... i have no idea about them....

wats brand & model to go for ?

Ur choice is good enough for ur needs. Coz i dont think u will keep ur moniter on during downloads. Thus ur major power draw is stopped giving u more time, or close to double the time.

yup u got to make use of their software. Windows detects their UPS and then u can configure it.

vinyas said:
finally decided on ... APC 1.5 kVA ....

now i heard that APC ups can shut down windows of battery is low.... is that true ?

Ya that's right.Now all you need to do for that is to install the software that comes with it.

Vinyas are you ready to spend 20k on that 1.5kVA ups? The smartups 750 VA that i have is 8 grand. If you want a 1.5kVA smart ups with so much backup time, you'd need to invest atleast 20k on the ups. Better just get an inverter and use ur existing ups. If you have no issues spending so much, then u can go for it heh :).

Disclaimer: I am not a UPS expert. I have not researched about the working or a UPS either. The following is a collection of 'hear-say' material only. U r free to research and prove me wrong. :)

Here's some points wrt a UPS:

1. It is normally recommended NOT to connect one battery operated device to another. In other terms, a UPS is NOT recommended to be connected to an inverter. Perhaps (just my theory, i dont know the exact reason :p) this has to do with the fact that most inverters output square-wave AC instead of sine-wave. (i know some give sine-wave o/p)

2. A higher rated UPS doesnt necessarily mean more back-up. the VA rating is the load capacity that the UPS will take. The back-up is determined by the battery thats packed into/along with the UPS. Here's an anology i can think of - Its like having a bike and car. The VA rating on the UPS is something like the seating capacity of the vehicle. The back-up time is something like the mileage/tank capacity. More the seating capacity, more load the vehicle can carry. Higher the mileage/tank capacity, longer it runs.

3. Also, going thru APC - Country Selection Page the 1.5KVA UPS typically supports a max load of 865 watts. and at that load, it gives a back up of around 5 mins. :O So, with a 21" CRT, you can expect a load of ~400-500W, which translates to about 12 mins back-up. I dont know if i read it right, but I am quite shocked by those figures. Here's the link - APC BACK-UPS RS 1500VA 230V INDIA

4. Typically, higher rated UPS have an option to connect an external battery for more back-up. I have seen a Powercom 600VA UPS which had an option to connect an external battery. This kind of solution would be ideal when you need more back-up, like in this case - 2 hours.

5. The APC 1.5KVA UPS at that advertised price of ~9.9k might not give you enough back-up unless you couple it with a good and high rated battery. If u add in the battery cost, the solution would come to around 15k minimum.

fully agree with mask here.

for my operation theatre i was advised not to install an inverter above the ups which i owned.

and only inverter for pc it not advisable as switch on time for inveter is more than ups so it will restart the pc.

anirudh said:
700w will be sufficient for a PC. (400w SMPS+100w monitor+200w for modems/speakers)
Having a 400W SMPS doesn't mean the system is drawing 400W of power. It means that the SMPS can cater/supply to a load of 400W. Typically, a regular desktop system (P4 3gig / 512MB / one hDD / on ODD) consumes about 150W~200 in idle. just FYI. :)

Back