Recommendation for 42-50" 4K TV for computer use

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Planning to buy a new UHD TV of size 42-50" to be used as a second display for my computer for gaming and watching videos.

Please make me some recommendations. Cost should preferably be under 1 Lac.

I'd not do this unless you plan to use the TV from a distance of at least 5 feet. TVs are simply not optimized for nearfield viewing. They also are way too bright for viewing up close.

Also if you want to game, they have terrible lag compared to any decent (non gaming) monitor. Gaming monitors are in a league of their own. Even the best TVs have 20+ ms of lag in their game mode as all processing can't be turned off.

I have been using a 32" FHD TV with my PC from a distance 3-4 feet for last 4 years.FYI, my setup is 27" Dell U2711 + 32" Samsung TV. This is going to be replacement for the TV and yeah, distance has also increased to about 5.5 - 6 feet since I moved into my new flat.
Input lag may not be too big a concern since I am not into any online competitive gaming. I am only into single player games and a means of recreation. In any case, even as far as monitors are concerned, I have been using IPS displays only and they too have comparatively high lag though it may not be as bad as a TV.[DOUBLEPOST=1505021664][/DOUBLEPOST]
Would you consider tier 2-3 brands such as Vu, Cloudwalker, etc..?
I would consider a brand like Vu if the product is good. In fact, I was originally considering LeEco, but dropped the thought because of the state that company is in.

I have been using a 32" FHD TV with my PC from a distance 3-4 feet for last 4 years.FYI, my setup is 27" Dell U2711 + 32" Samsung TV. This is going to be replacement for the TV and yeah, distance has also increased to about 5.5 - 6 feet since I moved into my new flat.
Input lag may not be too big a concern since I am not into any online competitive gaming. I am only into single player games and a means of recreation. In any case, even as far as monitors are concerned, I have been using IPS displays only and they too have comparatively high lag though it may not be as bad as a TV.[DOUBLEPOST=1505021664][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would consider a brand like Vu if the product is good. In fact, I was originally considering LeEco, but dropped the thought because of the state that company is in.

If you're willing to consider tier 2 brands then TCL has a 65 inch TV for around a lakh. Not sure if you're looking for a size that big but might be worth considering...

http://www.tclindia.co.in/uhd-andriod-tv/c2us-uhd-tcl-android-tv/
http://www.tclindia.co.in/uhd-andriod-tv/p2mus-uhd-tcl-android-tv/

https://www.amazon.in/165-1-inches-...UTF8&qid=1505022973&sr=8-1&keywords=tcl+4k+65

Wait for it.
175ecee73d1c080e36f0ae901641e63e.jpg

Went to a show room and took a look at 49" TV's from LG, Samsung and Sony.

LG 49SJ800T - 1.26 Lac (With free Sound bar & sub woofer)
Sony X9000E - 1.25 Lac (With free 1TB HDD)
Samsung MU7000 - 1.2 Lac (With free Sound bar & Sub woofer)
Samsung MU6470 1 Lac

Went to a show room and took a look at 49" TV's from LG, Samsung and Sony.

LG 49SJ800T - 1.26 Lac (With free Sound bar & sub woofer)
Sony X9000E - 1.25 Lac (With free 1TB HDD)
Samsung MU7000 - 1.2 Lac (With free Sound bar & Sub woofer)
Samsung MU6470 1 Lac

Are you looking at any particular specs? If you are going to do 60hz at 4k, try the tier 2 brands, right now FK has some great offers on them.

How the heck is this so cheap? https://www.amazon.in/Sanyo-123-2-inches-XT-49S7100F-Black/dp/B01ICVLK4I

I know it's not 4k and all but considering the price how bad could it be in comparison with the 1L+ brigade?

Ahh its pretty good mate, these tier 2 brands like Vu (this is Zentih re branded, they use Hisense panels, which is a very big OEM in China), BPL, Cloudwalker, TCL, etc.. have flooded the market with reasonable panels for last couple years, you really cant tell the difference between the bigger brands and aforementioned. I am personally using a 40 and 50 inch Vu with 3 years warranty and they are doing pretty well. In fact, the 50 inch panel went kaput within 90 days, they replaced with a new TV, its been a year and is working fine. I have used Sony and Sammy panels, currently have the Sony HX750 55 inch too. If its just regular viewing, these would more than do the job.

That is what I have been contemplating.I need the TV just as a second display for the computer and for gaming. So, I don't need any fancy features. A basic 4K TV with HDR is more than enough for my purpose.

Have you used your Vu TV with computer? Also, any idea what kind of Panel is used?

Today, when I looked at the models in the store, I could pick up a picture quality difference between the 3 brands even though they are in same price bracket.

The LG 49SJ800T looked the best of the lot and had fairly natural looking colors and good detail which I guess is thanks to the IPS panel. The Sony X9000E was pretty close to the LG. The Samsung MU7000 on the other hand felt artificially vibrant and color detail felt inferior. Even my mom who was with me was able to pick the difference.

Last edited:
That is what I have been contemplating.I need the TV just as a second display for the computer and for gaming. So, I don't need any fancy features. A basic 4K TV with HDR is more than enough for my purpose.

Have you used your Vu TV with computer? How does it fare.

Not much, the TV is setup in the living room, did hook my pc, played a little Witcher, there was tearing without Vsync, switched it on and it worked absolutely fine. This is with a 2500k + Gtx 970. The games on PS4 look good as well, you can goto your nearest Croma and sample it hopefully.

Here is a review that might help, unfortunately he is running the games at 1080p.

I finally settled down for the LG49SJ800T and placed the order today. They were quoting 1.25 Lac after discount last week, but today, I got a price of 1.12 Lac after 30k discount along with a free LG SJ3 sound bar and LG extended warranty.

There was also a cashback offer on HDFC credit card if I go for EMI scheme, but I decided against it.

I finally settled down for the LG49SJ800T and placed the order today. They were quoting 1.25 Lac after discount last week, but today, I got a price of 1.12 Lac after 30k discount along with a free LG SJ3 sound bar and LG extended warranty.

There was also a cashback offer on HDFC credit card if I go for EMI scheme, but I decided against it.
Congrats, how has the experience been, contemplating picking up one of the cheap 40' 4k panels as a secondary display. How is it using such a large display as a monitor and impressions on input lag while gaming?

The experience with the display is pretty good. The TV is wall mounted in my room with a swivel mount so that angle could be adjusted. I did not have a lot of time to try out games since I got the TV, but I at least ran a few games like Shadows of Mordor & Just Cause 3.

One issue I have been facing often is that games crash during start up with the 4k TV hooked up. Maybe, its got something to do with the HDMI cable I am using. Its an old cable that was bundled with XBOX 360 Elite Edition. I have bought a new high speed HDMI cable, but need to see if it resolves these issues.

1080p video playback also looked pretty awesome on the TV even though I am running it in the game mode which should remove most of the processing steps

It is an RGBW panel. Every one of LG series except for the premium SJ85 and SJ95 this year use RGBW panels only. But it still looked better than any Sony or Samsung in the same price range when seen side by side.

I used tv for computer use when I was in india. my suggestion is that dont. it really damages your eyes.

Back