PC Peripherals Recommendations for new PSU + CPU cooler

boogeyman

Adept
Hi,

I'm looking for a good quality stable PSU + an upgrade for my stock AMD CPU cooler. My budget is 2.5k for the PSU and 1.5k for the CPU cooler. My requirement is mainly for stable noise-free, 24x7 operation with occasional VM emulation + gaming. Not looking to overclock.

My current config is:

> Mainboard : MSI 785G-E53 (MS-7576)

> Chipset : AMD 785G

> Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 925e @ 2.8 GHz

> RAM : 4GB DDR3 G-Skill 1333 MHz

> Video Card : Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5670

> Hard Disk : Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB 7200 RPM (OS) + Seagate 2 TB Barracuda Green 5900 RPM

> DVD-Rom Drive : Hewlett-Packard DVD Writer 1260r

> Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7600 (64-bit)

> USB storage devices added as needed

I did some searching and concluded on FSP Saga II 500W for the PSU and Cooler-Master vortex Plus for the cooler. What do you guys think/suggest? Are the Corsair builder series any good? Also, what do you guys think about VIP PSU's? Would one of their products be able to handle above config?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Anyone who can help?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

bump......

Get the Corsair CX 400W ~ 2700/- (do not buy the CX 430W no matter how much the dealer pushes) from the Corsair Bulider series OR FSP Saga II 500W ~ 2500/-. This will allow to upgrade your graphics card till the AMD HD 6850 AND OR other upgrades like maybe more hard drives etc. in the future as you see fit while the VIP will be an ad hoc solution which can't be factored in for the future. Also check out the Gigabyte Superb 460W ~ 1900W, the best valuer for money proposition for you.

Forget about the VIP PSU's until you want to risk this happening to you -- Don't Be Surprised When Your Cheap PSU Blows Up : 1670 Watts For $60?

For CPU cooler a better buy would be the slightly more expensive Hyper 212+ ~ 1800/- complete value for money and good performance to boot. CoolerMaster Hyper212 Review - Overclockers Club.

Here are the places you can order from and I got my prices from --

Theitdepot - FSP 500W PowerSupply (SAGA II 500)

Theitdepot - Gigabyte Superb 460W GE-R460-V1 Power Supply

Theitdepot - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (RR-B10-212-GP)

TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified SMPS

Hope it helps.

Thanks for your reply.

I think the Hyper 212+ would barely fit in my cabinet. Its a Circle cabbie. It measures about 17 cm in width. There is also a side fan which protrudes inwards by about 2cm. And since I wont be going for any over-clocking (at least not in this system), I figured the Vortex Plus should suffice. What say?

Regarding the SMPS, I read good stuff by Gannu regarding the CM GX-450 in a recent thread. Hows that? I couldn't find it anywhere online (among the indian sites). And among FSP Saga II 500W & Gigabyte Superb 460W, is the FSP worth the extra 600 bucks? The reason I don't wanna spend extra on the Corsair one is that I'm just looking for a config to last 2 or so years, in which, the max, I would look to upgrade is the RAM. That too only if absolutely necessary.

Get the Cooler Master Hyper TX 3 OR the Vortex in discretion then, the TX 3 can take some light over-clock but the Vortex is strictly off limits for over-clocking. Apply a good TIM while installing the Cooler Master HSF -- a guide on how to about that. Guide - How TIM Works & How To Apply It Correctly | bit-tech.net

For the SMPS get the Gigabyte Superb 460W OR FSP Saga II 500W, prefer the Saga II model, I do. Gives a small upgrade over-head incase you change your mind down the line. I hope this helps out.

I've pretty much decided on the Vortex Plus for the cooler. Its the best for my requirements (space constraints, no over-clocking and noise-free). Would be getting it for around 1.5-1.6k.

However, I'm still unsure about the PSU. Are the Saga II 500W or Superb 460W 80-plus certified? I'm getting the Saga for about 2.3k and Gigabyte Superb for 2.1k. Which one would you recommend now considering my config in OP?

i would recommend going for CX400 if you have a slighter higher budget as its pretty good,stable and reliable PSU. I was also in the same boat as i was upgrading my system and looking for a PSU & Cooler. After going through numerous posts and reviews finally i went for CX400. Also bought a Hyper 212+ for my system. I would not recommend the vortex. Tx3 is better, check the specifications out and see if you can fix the same in your cabinet.

Ok... I moved the cabinet side fan to the back and now I have enough space for a Hyper TX3 (Yippeee!). And its cheaper than a Vortex Plus (@ 1.2k) so that means more to spend on the PSU. :D

Prime is running a deal of the day for Silverstone SST-ST50F-ES 500W for 2.6k. From this review: [Phoronix] SilverStone Strider Essential 500W Review it seems a good VFM PSU.

Would you recommend this over Corsair CX-400?

Also, would this be better than FSP Saga II 500W?

^^Haven't got a clue about Silver Stone as a brand and don't think it is very widely used in India so RMA and ASS might be a spot, review speaks well but don't blindly trust reviews as most of them can be misleading. Important in this case the Cooler Master GX 750 W which most power users lambaste as a pathetic SMPS, but most reviews have been favorable towards it.

Would recommend you stick with th FSP Saga II 500W OR Corsair CX 400.

Yes, I decided to go with the CX-400. Looking around for some good prices. Should be getting them by the weekend. Thanks for your help.

Back