PC Peripherals "Refill friendly" Laser multi function printer within Rs 15000

basic laser multifunction printer which is most refill friendly.

• HP

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Canon

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Samsung

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tusharch

Disciple
Hie Techies,

I am looking for a refill friendly laser printer for home use.

My requirements are as follows :

- Black & White Multi function printer for use by parents at home. Occassional use, not daily.
- Max. 20 pages per month of printing. Sometimes unused for 1-2 months
- Wifi desirable but optional.
- Refill friendly toner. -> most important.

I generally understand from similar threads on TE that HP 12A is the most common cartridge without chip & most refill friendly. (most threads are old, so I created this one)

I searched on the net and found that HPM1005 uses this cartridge.
But now, there is a newer model HP M1136 which uses HP88A.

I personally dislike the idea of toners with "clever chips".
After buying the printer, it should be the end user's prerogative whether to stick to OEM cartridge, or go for a non OEM or refill & decide the quality of prints he /she wants.

Anyway, so finally my choices are :

- HP M1136
- HP M1005
- Samsung SCX 3406W
- Canon MF3010
- Panasonic KX-MB1900 / MB2010

Please pour in your suggestions to help me finalize.
Also, please let me know if all of the above models contain smart chip or not.
I am trying to ascertain myself, but this not directly reflected in product manuals.
I am also confused as Canon sales rep. claims they give full toner, bit brochure shows starter toner. Further, if starter toner can be refilled ?

I called up popular toner refillers in my area (Thane, mumbai). Most of them opined that HP toners are most refill friendly. Samsung and canon give problems are messy to refill due to chip reset issues.

Thanks Beanstalk. I got this printer yesterday & generally happy with my decision..
Any reviews mate. I am also in hunt for new printer and my usage is same as yours. I was also considering CISS kit for printers i.e. HP Officejet 4355 AIO & EPSON Stylus C58. So what do you suggest?

Do this use chipset to count pages? Also - is it easy for user to refill? please provide Cost and online link
Toner does not have chip. Printer has inbuilt configuration reports which indicates printer usage such as no . Of pages scanned, printed etc.

I bought a used printer. These reports were handy to verify actual usage . I am a not sure if statistics get erased with factory reset, I believe they should not.

Any reviews mate. I am also in hunt for new printer and my usage is same as yours. I was also considering CISS kit for printers i.e. HP Officejet 4355 AIO & EPSON Stylus C58. So what do you suggest?
Local printer refill shops advised me that if use is occasional then laser printer is best choice. Second option is hp ink advantage which can go up to 60 days without printing. Even printers with CISS kits can go dry. Presence of ink tank does not safeguard you against drying problems due to occasssional use. So after doing all research I decided to settle for laser.

Hope this helps.

Even i am looking for a refillable toner laser printer. i have samsung ML-1640 printer, but not happy with it, lot of issues even after chip reset and quality of print is not good enough after toner refilling(tried different toners). I will like to know if HP laser printers maintain the quality of print after refill. What about brands like canon..

Even i am looking for a refillable toner laser printer. i have samsung ML-1640 printer, but not happy with it, lot of issues even after chip reset and quality of print is not good enough after toner refilling(tried different toners). I will like to know if HP laser printers maintain the quality of print after refill. What about brands like canon..

Unles something goes wrong with otner or refills these printers usually work fine.

- Wifi desirable but optional.
Hook up to your pc via USB which is connected to any wifi router over ethernet. The is the general way to wifi enable any printer with a usb port.

I wish this model had an ethernet port instead of a USB. Have been looking for something like for a while but the refill maze has proven too daunting. The scanning part requires a good connection to the router so wired is fastest.

If you want a modern printer that can stay on without a pc i think picking a laser printer with chip resetter is the way. Course the challenge is to find which cartridge model is the most suitable.

Hook up to your pc via USB which is connected to any wifi router over ethernet. The is the general way to wifi enable any printer with a usb port.

Thanks for the tip. I am looking to buy a cheap print server so I can print from iPad, tablet, cloud print etc. But unfortunately most print servers cannot be used out of the box and have a list of compatible printers. So its a risk if the print server does not work. I wil post f I find something working with this model.
Most of the chinese print servers specifically mention that they are not compatible with M1005. TP Link & D link are generally compatible .

I was seriously thinking about Samsung 3046W model. Its got wireless and 20% cheaper, but finally deiced to settle for HP due to ease of refilling. I too wishing this printer had LAN connection.

I am looking to buy a cheap print server so I can print from iPad, tablet, cloud print etc. But unfortunately most print servers cannot be used out of the box and have a list of compatible printers. So its a risk if the print server does not work. I wil post f I find something working with this model.
Most of the chinese print servers specifically mention that they are not compatible with M1005. TP Link & D link are generally compatible .
This will be a big headache. PC with whatever software installed will work with anything but downside is it requires a pc to be on just to do wireless printing. If your wireless print server works then its only for printing and will not work for scanning as you have a mfd.

The key is to get a network aware mfd, and this means chipped cartridges. So have to find which one can be reset. Choices are epson, brother, canon & HP. Samsung isn't in the list.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. I am looking to buy a cheap print server so I can print from iPad, tablet, cloud print etc. But unfortunately most print servers cannot be used out of the box and have a list of compatible printers. So its a risk if the print server does not work. I wil post f I find something working with this model.

I was seriously thinking about Samsung 3046W model. Its got wireless and 20% cheaper, but finally deiced to settle for HP due to ease of refilling. I too wishing this printer had LAN connection.

Get a Raspberry Pi - configure it for Airprint+Google Cloud Print+others

if ur looking at initial cost, then for sure you might find options chepaer than HP or Canon. But if u r looking at long term printing costs, refilling should be cheaper in HP> No experience iwth RICOH / XEROX printers

I am also in the same boat (Refill friendly Laser MFP with LAN/WLAN) for wife's office.

Don't want a PC to be powered ON for printer usage so at least LAN is required... WLAN would be better.

Can buy online/Mumbai suburbs...

Thanks in advance!! :)

I am also in the same boat (Refill friendly Laser MFP with LAN/WLAN) for wife's office.
:)

wireless routers with print servers are available today starting approx. from rs.1500 . So buy any printer with USB port & pair it up with a wireless router cum print server and u shud be through. u can print then wirelessly from mobile, internet etc. without switching on PC.

Samsung has wireless printer for approx. rs. 10500, but refilling wont b so easy.

Back