Refrigerator energy consumption

jammy420

Adept
My 20-year-old whirlpool refrigerator is running quite well. So there is no real reason for me to change it unless I am going to save decent money on electricity.

the newer models, do they really save electricity units? how many units can they save annually over a 1996 model?

I will do the cost calculation of electricity according to my state.

Dont change it unless it breaks down. Do post your capacity and power consumption.

The newerer ones are supposed to be more energy efficient. Plus you have the abilty to make the freezer into an extra fridge compartment,etc...

it's 165L fridge.

my total house consumption is 450 units bimonthly[DOUBLEPOST=1531077999][/DOUBLEPOST]bimonthly 1k is my average bill

No idea how to track it. Do we have any device to calculate it ?
Use this type of device to measure total consume watt.

HTC Instrument PM-03 Energy Meter, Energy Metering, Power Guard, Monitor, Kill A Watt https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0140T7SG0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mwUqBbJ4FX63B

If you don't want to buy this device, for hour or two keep all light in your house off except refrigerator and make sure it's in cooling mode and check electricity meter how much kw reading has increased during that time..

And regarding your original query,

Yes, new refrigerator will save a more than half money in electricity consumption.

It depends on the capacity of the new fridge, you are not going to save much if you up size to say a 300+ liter frost free. Your fridge I believe a direct cool fridge which as a manual defrost.
In a Frost free fridge the heaters melt the frost on the evaporator coil which consumes a lot more then the cooling cycle of the compressor, even more so in a inverter compressor.

I replaced my 1983 godrej 160L in 2011, (it had a compressor replaced in the early 90s) with a 343L panasonic fridge 2011 5 star rated and it increased the bill slightly. Modern inverter fridges 4 to 5 star consume close to half of 2011 5 star rated one.

Last edited:
Use this type of device to measure total consume watt.

HTC Instrument PM-03 Energy Meter, Energy Metering, Power Guard, Monitor, Kill A Watt https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0140T7SG0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mwUqBbJ4FX63B
This is a good choice because it says it does RMS measurement. Without RMS the figures are useless. The downside is it comes with chinese plugs so you need an adapter. Could be tricky to hang from a wall. Might need to get a powerstrip

Yes, new refrigerator will save a more than half money in electricity consumption.
When is the break even though.

How many years will it take to save as much as it cost to buy the new fridge.[DOUBLEPOST=1531133130][/DOUBLEPOST]
Plus you have the abilty to make the freezer into an extra fridge compartment,etc...
If you can get away without needing a freezer then there will be no defrost cycle required. A further savings.

If you can get away without needing a freezer then there will be no defrost cycle required. A further savings.
Rofl joke. Whats a fridge without a freezer and who will even own one? A chemist shop right. None will opt for it unless one really never ever gonna store frozen stuff, need ice and eat ice creams.

Rofl joke. Whats a fridge without a freezer and who will even own one? A chemist shop right. None will opt for it unless one really never ever gonna store frozen stuff, need ice and eat ice creams.
I don't know who can get away without a freezer. But its an option being offered currently. My gripe is the size of freezers in India is quite small.

A rebrand in Germany for less has a 43 litr freezer. Total capacity 165lt consumes 160 units/yr ~18W/h

A more expensive, 284lt LG has a smaller freezer (!). Consumes 202 units/yr ~23W/h

How do they get these figures and are they dependable ?!? People love to quote savings but without measurements its meaningless. Door has to be opened so many times a day

One way to keep your costs down, use a smaller fridge, if you can get away with it.

Last edited:
It depends on the capacity of the new fridge, you are not going to save much if you up size to say a 300+ liter frost free. Your fridge I believe a direct cool fridge which as a manual defrost.
In a Frost free fridge the heaters melt the frost on the evaporator coil which consumes a lot more then the cooling cycle of the compressor, even more so in a inverter compressor.
Figures i see quoted are quite high

Found that my LG Inverter-fridge does not have a starting/surge, rather it slowly works itself up to only about 90 watt late nights when the door is never opened. In day-time it goes up to about 165 watts. Once it showed 232 watts, I think it must have been the defrost-cycle.
How big is this guy's fridge and why is it consuming 165 watts in normal operation

The fridge consumed 2.44 units over a 24 hour period
2.44 x 365 = 890 units/yr (!) (!)

Last edited:
Dont change it unless it breaks down.

Yes

In a word :)

Hence i still hold on to a 45yr kelvinator and its likely to last much longer

You can't trust the numbers and you can't trust that you will make the savings that are marketed unless you just happen to fall into the pigeonhole used and everything pans out the way it's been presented.

In other words, you're not going to save much at all really and most people wouldn't even notice the saving on their electricity or indeed, water bill.

it's 165L fridge.

my total house consumption is 450 units bimonthly[DOUBLEPOST=1531077999][/DOUBLEPOST]bimonthly 1k is my average bill

Lucky you. My average consumption is 160 units per month and i get bill of 1300. msedc - maha super expensive discom.

my fridge is a 15+ year old 265 litre LG frost free. Had to replace the gas inside once. Its rated at 100W and 125W for heating cycle. I think it probably consumes around 80-90 units a month. I don't have any reading instrument and I'm just guessing here.

Lucky you. My average consumption is 160 units per month and i get bill of 1300. msedc - maha super expensive discom.

my fridge is a 15+ year old 265 litre LG frost free. Had to replace the gas inside once. Its rated at 100W and 125W for heating cycle. I think it probably consumes around 80-90 units a month. I don't have any reading instrument and I'm just guessing here.
80-90 x 12 = 960 - 1080 units/yr

Just 100 units more than the guy referenced with the inverter LG fridge :)

See how the arithmetic works. 100 units/yr @rs10 Rs.1000/yr

Replacement cost for a 265lt ~25k+

Break even is 25+ years (!) will the new fridge even last that long ?

I don't know who can get away without a freezer. But its an option being offered currently. My gripe is the size of freezers in India is quite small.

A rebrand in Germany for less has a 43 litr freezer. Total capacity 165lt consumes 160 units/yr ~18W/h

A more expensive, 284lt LG has a smaller freezer (!). Consumes 202 units/yr ~23W/h

How do they get these figures and are they dependable ?!? People love to quote savings but without measurements its meaningless. Door has to be opened so many times a day

One way to keep your costs down, use a smaller fridge, if you can get away with it.
I am not looking beyond 190 litre. This is for my parents usage. 160-190 is sufficient[DOUBLEPOST=1531158297][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yes

thanks for the link. I would have missed easily

Last edited:
Figures i see quoted are quite high

How big is this guy's fridge and why is it consuming 165 watts in normal operation

2.44 x 365 = 890 units/yr (!) (!)

Following on from the thread linked , turns out this guy 'manim' is using a 581L LG (!) Big ass fridge.

quick google reveals the likely model is GC-B207GLQV

That model has NO energy rating at all. BEE never tested that fridge. Probably why this guy went through the trouble of measuring the power consumption in the first place. I don't know how efficient this inverter fridge is, not very going by the size but it does mean it has a slow start up and is inverter friendly

Last edited:

Given your meter is erroneous i'm assuming power consumption for your fridge is also incorrect. Maybe update here when you get your second electricity meter. I'd imagine the real consumption is likely half what you mentioned

Yes

Looks like my kelvinator is on its last legs. It tripped the circuit breaker, called my electrician, he got it working again but it has a grounding fault so when its on the handles are hot as in you can get a shock. So when i want to open the fridge i have to switch it off (!)

Called a fridge guy he said replace it, the compressor was imported and they don't have that kind anymore. I thought these compressors could be fixed but he says they are sealed. Hmm, wil get a second opinon

Failing which on the lookout for a new one around the 270+ litre size

https://www.lg.com/in/refrigerators/lg-GL-T302RPZU

https://www.samsung.com/in/refrigerators/top-mount-freezer-rt30n3723s8/

Samsung is cheaper but the compressor warranty is only 5 yrs compared to 10 for the LG which would be my first choice. I'm surprised to see fridges only come with a 1 yr warranty. Washing machines have 2, even a hair dryer.

The repair guy was telling me to get a samsung which had dials for the thermostat in the fridge & freezer and a defrost timer on the back. To stay away from anything with a digital panel or inverter as those all need PCB replacements to fix faults. More expensive to repair than the simpler models. And finally to avoid Whirlpool & Haier.

Great :confused::depressed:

Last edited:
Back