Relocation: Packers and Movers

cranky

Skilled
All right, time for a real OT thread from me. As some of you know I'm relocating to Calcutta. I've had some last-minute snags with my packers, so would welcome suggestions from people who have recently relocated. Of course transport of electronics, computers and musical instruments is on the cards, so would appreciate if anyone has ever moved similar stuff. Though cost is a concern, I would hesitate to go for the cheapest deal.

Suggestions would be helpful, and if you have contact numbers, even better. Peeps who have moved to or from Mumbai and/or Calcutta would be really the icing on the cake, so thanks for your help!

Thanks in advance to everyone for helping me out :)

well i wont recommend anyone but my experience is movers and packers ....i used DRS ... which was that agarwals , they came and packed everything in a jiffy and then asked for specific insurance amounts and which i gave ....after it reached my home at coimbatore and found a broken table ,,, they said they wont give the full insurance amount but will fix it , it went to a huge hassle

so just get a clarity on that issue and be ready for some broken stuff

i have experience with LEO and WRITERS..

Leo - good packaging and good unpacking ..slight damage to Almira but got repaired cost.

Writers - Excellent packing and good unpacking but transportation is not good. Seen so many dents/marks on the boxes clearly indicating rough handling. Going for insurance but I don't see any issue.

Thanks guys. I've used only Agarwal in the past, but I'm having a bit of an issue with paying them as they are not willing to accept any cheque that is not from the originating city. Of course they won't get it, as I've closed the bank accounts in Mumbai already! Plus it's always a bit dicey to pay in advance, I'd rather pay once the stuff is unloaded...

Here's an update, for anyone who's interested. I used Agarwal/DRS finally, as they accepted my payment. I wish I hadn't.

My computer table arrived totally smashed. My brand new recliner had been gnawed by rats and has a gaping hole in the armrest. A few glasses were broken, and three crates arrived crushed and their contents had to be retrieved from the floor of the van and brought in one by one, as they had spilled out of the cartons. Most of the cartons had been smashed and squished, obviously the stuff had been overloaded. The only things that arrived intact were the stuff that was crated, and the things that had original boxes/packing, though most of the said packing is unusable due to obvious negligence and damage. They had arrived intact from Singapore and Taiwan and the US, but in one trip the incompetence of the packers ensured that it is destroyed beyond all hope.

To add insult to injury, the local reps in Cal promised to get my sofa and table fixed by Sunday. Six days on, there is no redress and I am now getting it fixed on my own (after I have paid 3,500 bucks insurance). Obviously I am warning all my friends to not deal with these guys any more, as well as posting up reviews wherever I can. I would have pressed for compensation but it's not worth my time, so all I can do is give fair warning.

Oh damn, what a pathetic service. :(

Why dont you have a complaint filed at the consumer forum? Bastids should be charged left, right, center!

I hope your audio equipments and related stuff've reached fine.

I seriously dont understand u guys trusting the movers and packers.Its ur stuff rite.U know how valuable the stuff is.Then why entrust it to someone who will never value ur stuff.For them its just business.
I once had to send a huge value stuff to my friend.Know what i did.I packed it in gunny bags with lots of hay.The items included photoframes,terrastation etc.Then I sent it by train.Yeah i know train but if u take proper precautions then nothing will beat the train.No shifting it to depot to depot.Just make sure you reach the station just when the train is about to arrive.pay some money to the handler around 40 bucks.I myself was there when the stuff was put into the train.At the recieving station my friend collected it.Not a scratch.It might be a hassle but hey its ur stuff and u know the value of it.
just my 2 cents.

Johnie: Not easy when you have about 1600 miscellanous items, lots of furniture, glass, kitchen equipment, TV, audio, guitars and other stuff. My total estimated shipment value was 10 lakhs or so, and ended up being about 50 boxes. I don't see how that can be moved by train.

@Gannu: I dismantled almost everything. The only other casualty apart from table/sofa was the boxes, and a stick of GSkill RAM that refuses to work after reinstallation. I was scared for the mobos as we didn't take off the huge heatsinks, but they are fine. The real delicate stuff was crated, so my guitars arrived safe. I now have to start building the amps as I took them apart for shipping.

i did warn you abt agarwal's / DRS .... all fine till they get the payment and things are packed ...dont expect the same when things are getting delievered though

Yup, you did, I guess I wasn't expecting it to be this bad - I am warning the company I left about this service and incident, as well as deciding never to use them again.

Damn, wish I had seen this thread earlier, you might have saved some of your stuff.

I recently moved to a new apartment (within my city). And while the movement wasn't too far from my old, the Packers and Movers I used did a kick ass job.

I used Unison Logistics and Packers. Here's their website: Unison Logistics & Packers Pvt Ltd

My mum has crapload of crockery and fragile items .. but everything came intact. Also, electronics were packed in multiple sheets (even bubble wrapping!) and later with cardboard coating.

All I can say is, I was surprised with the way they worked. I never thought they'd use so much material with the price I paid for. (Yes it's not costly too).

Of course, things may not be same when moving out of town, but they truly impressed me and I 100% recommend it to anyone here. A completely 10/10 from my side.

In fact, I would recommend if you can get a quote from them to know if they would've fallen on the expensive side or not..

Back