Budget 31-40k Repair old one or get new one?

joel.elias.333

Disciple
Ok this is a bit different from the rest of the threads here. My current laptop is an studio XPS 16. The OS I believe is corrupted and the dvd drive is screwed up. Plus the battery is not charging anymore. It is a 3.5ish yr old laptop.

I have an option to get a new laptop (a 40K one from US... already decided the model should I end up buying) by june or august. Else I can spend some money on my current system to get a new battery etc (not too bothered about the dvd drive). But I don't want to shell out some 6k-7k on a battery and then have something else go wrong with the xps in another two years. I need a running system for at least the next two years.

Kind of in a pickle on what to do? Any suggestions/advice will be welcome!

I'd say sell it off on the forums or eBay and get yourself a new one. Repairing it/replacing the defective parts and selling it might fetch you a better value, needless to say. The XPS used to be built like a tank, back in the day. If the hard drive has no issues, the OS can be reinstalled to fix the corrupt part.

You can as well ask the Dell service engineer (should you decide to not do the repairs yourself i.e.) to clean the innards esp. the heatsink fins - there should be a cake of dust accumulated there! The same goes with the fan. Even the thermal paste would have been dried up now. Reapplying will help ease the temperatures a bit.

Hmm... I think I will re-install windows and see the performance. Ubuntu doesn't give me any problem. So if I do decide to sell it without any repairs, how much can I expect? Any idea.

XPS 1640, Intel Core 2 Duo P8700(2.53GHz/1066Mhz FSB/3M L2 Cache)
3GB, DDR3, 1067 MHz 2 Dimm forXPS 1640
15.6 inch Wide Screen 16:9 900p HD+ WLED LCD W/2.0MP, XPS 1640
ATI Mobility RADEON M96XT - 1GB
250GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

I'll ask this in the 'How much can I sell this for?' thread as well.

Back