Replacement for Pogo plug?

Then you better get bpi rpi or similar, get a sata.port multiplier and attach up-to 5hdd
No man, these sbc's are not good for nas. For only downloading purpose it is okay. Even if i get a banana pi m1, i won't use the sata port. It only allows laptop hdd. Its better to attach external usb hdd via a powered usb hub to this. The m1 does not have enough power to support 1+TB hdd on its usb port.

btw, was looking at pogo plug v4 on amazon.com and it costs $12.99 but shipping it to India costs $25 - $28. So in Inr its cost is around 850 rupees but costs Rs1800 + any duty to reach here. lol
Company has closed, so i wonder if its any use to get that device now.

you finalized on this ?
I haven't finalized on anything yet. I feel like buying the espressobin though. It has mini pcie port, sata 1 port with power etc. with a mini pcie to sata expansion card i could add 2 more sata hdd.
looks very tempting. I wonder if customs will charge 28% GST on this board.

Rs 6111.56 if GST is charged.

Edit: Seems software is shit. It crashes after starting etc. The instructions aren't even proper it seems and most people are having trouble even creating a sdcard with bootable image.

Last edited:
Finally decided on getting the Intel NUC NUC5CPYH Kit along with compatible Crucial CT51264BF160B 4GB 1600MHz DDR3L 204-Pin Laptop Memory.
Seems we can install linux on emmc card formatted as ext4 in the nuc. I have a 64GB UHS-1 card lying around, so I'll use that as my os drive.

Primary reason for getting the nuc was ease of use and less time setting it up. Also its a familiar x86 device compared to arm device where i'll have to deal with ssh and what not. Main reason is I think i've wasted enough time of mine and every one here. (Also i feel weird that I haven't downloaded anything in 2 months and the backlog has gone up) So buying the nuc.

Finally decided on getting the Intel NUC NUC5CPYH Kit along with compatible Crucial CT51264BF160B 4GB 1600MHz DDR3L 204-Pin Laptop Memory.
Seems we can install linux on emmc card formatted as ext4 in the nuc. I have a 64GB UHS-1 card lying around, so I'll use that as my os drive.

Primary reason for getting the nuc was ease of use and less time setting it up. Also its a familiar x86 device compared to arm device where i'll have to deal with ssh and what not. Main reason is I think i've wasted enough time of mine and every one here. (Also i feel weird that I haven't downloaded anything in 2 months and the backlog has gone up) So buying the nuc.
Upgrading storage will be a major pain though right?It has only one SATA3 connector where you can plug in a naked 3.5" HDD and the internal is only 2.5" where the maximum capacity will be 2 TB.

But the specs for the price is good.I would suggest getting the NUC5PPYH though as it has the N3700 processor for 4k more which is a much more future proof CPU.

Yes, you're right. The internal sata connection only accepts a 2.5" laptop hdd. Or a m-sata drive.

I have external USB 3 hdd dock, and my download hdd are portable 2.5" usb 3 hdd. I'll make the torrent app write directly to the sdcard first and then move it to the external storage. That way power usage will be minimum and connected HDD's can go to sleep when not in use.

I wanted to get the n3700, but in 4k we can buy a 128GB SSD. I'll have to buy the SSD if I can't install to the sdcard for some reason.[DOUBLEPOST=1498722150][/DOUBLEPOST]I was curious on how many months it'll take before the device pays for itself (in terms of power saving @200 per month). Takes around 4.7 years. In 5 years this would be ancient. Lol.

Last edited:
Yes, you're right. The internal sata connection only accepts a 2.5" laptop hdd. Or a m-sata drive.

I have external USB 3 hdd dock, and my download hdd are portable 2.5" usb 3 hdd. I'll make the torrent app write directly to the sdcard first and then move it to the external storage. That way power usage will be minimum and connected HDD's can go to sleep when not in use.

I wanted to get the n3700, but in 4k we can buy a 128GB SSD. I'll have to buy the SSD if I can't install to the sdcard for some reason.[DOUBLEPOST=1498722150][/DOUBLEPOST]I was curious on how many months it'll take before the device pays for itself (in terms of power saving @200 per month). Takes around 4.7 years. In 5 years this would be ancient. Lol.
Good choice a nuc or a full fledged pc is much better.

I use a kangaroo pc cherry trail atom with windows 10 and inbuilt battery really peaceful

Back