Disciple
What's your budget?

Camera type?

DSLR

Body Style?
Any will do

How much zoom do you want/expect?
Maximum possible in the budget

Do you care for manual exposure controls?
Yes

What's the purpose?
Personal use, outdoor trips, indoor shooting during special occasions.

What will you be shooting with this camera?
Indoor 30% outdoor 70%

Do you have any particular model(s) in your mind?
No (read below)

Any brand preference? Like/dislike
Any reliable brand will do

From where will you be buying?

Any specific features you need?
Wifi controls will be great, or bluetooth remote

Anything else you would like to tell us?
I am fairly new to photography, I'm currently using my sister's Canon 550D but wish to buy a new camera for my own personal use. Nothing special. Just want excellent picture quality and if possible, wifi/bluetooth remove control to shoot w/ tripod.

Budget is between 25-30k max for camera + lens. Can increase to 33k but that's max. Please suggest something that'd be a good upgrade over canon 550D.

BOUGHT Nikon D3500 w/ 18-55 and 70-300 dual lens kit for 33k from flipkart.

Last edited:
I have a 77D on sale but at your budget, it will be really really difficult for you to upgrade.

The 550D is quite capable by itself and it's all that old..

Yes,77D is a great option ( specially @ that price mach9 is selling his)
It's not possible to get a new one at your budget. If your budget permits get a 50mm prime lens.

If you want only a DSLR then you can go for Canon 1500 D. Price is 31k. The image quality will be average but you can add a prime lens later to improve its image quality. You will need a good memory card and a tripod too. So your budget is going to increase with time.
Other great option in your budget is RX 100 mark 3. It has a f1.8 lens so it is good in low light. Its autofocus and video quality is also better than 1500 D. It has wifi controls and It also has a 3 stop ND filter. It is generally available for 40k but right now it is available at 34k. RX 100 series is known for their great image quality in such a compact size. You can check sample images on DP review.

I have used Nikon and Sony. I felt sony to be better from usability perspective than Nikon. For your budget, do consider a new Sony a6000 or a used Sony a7 series.

Buying used isn't an option as camera will be purchased on EMI.

Thinking about increasing budget a bit and getting a bundle kit with 55-250mm or 70-300mm lens along with camera.

Are you sure about those lenses? You can always buy the body and a cheap 50mm prime ( Yongnuo) seperately. Upgrade your lenses later.
A 50mm prime is a must for me.

Buying used isn't an option as camera will be purchased on EMI.

Thinking about increasing budget a bit and getting a bundle kit with 55-250mm or 70-300mm lens along with camera.
My suggestion:
First identify a body that gives you enough incremental addition on features to justify it as an upgrade.
Secondly try and skip the kit lens pack and go body only and get yourself a proper lens that makes a better difference to image quality.
For obvious reasons, lastly, subject to budget, if you can afford it go mirrorless.

As a tip - DSLR's drop in value crazy fast. If you can, don't really go for a new one if you're buying it on EMI that too. Not worth it. Try JJ Mehta forums etc where you'll find a lot of will cared for bodies and you'll save a lot of money in the bargain. Use the cash on a new lens if you want as I would rather be easy with buying second hand bodies but not lenses.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am not in a hurry. I think best option would be to do some research and answer the question whether i really need a DSLR or not.

My usage of Taking vacation photos or indoor photos of family events can probably be filled with a bridge camera as well, like SX540 HS?

Thanks for your suggestions. I am not in a hurry. I think best option would be to do some research and answer the question whether i really need a DSLR or not.

My usage of Taking vacation photos or indoor photos of family events can probably be filled with a bridge camera as well, like SX540 HS?
My thinking is very simple broadly speaking:
1. Internal/Parties/homes = any camera will do even your phone as long as not super low light.
2. Exterior/Holidays/wildlife or any scenario where you don't have control of your subject or the setting: your'e going to immediately feel the shortcomings of anything other than a DSLR and IT WILLl frustrate you.

Given a choice other constraints not withstanding: go with what handles BOTH best and that's a good DSLR. If it's a small mirrorless, even better though it costs a bit more

Last edited:
Visit a store if possible and try them all, Canon/ Nikon/ Sony ( mirrorless) etc.
Since you're using a Canon, you will possibly find it way more intuitive ( at least I will possibly never being able to use a Sony mirrorless or a Nikon, developed muscle memory with Canon controls)
It's a beautiful and very rewarding hobby, if you can stick to it.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions guys, I decided against going for superzoom, will settle for an entry level DSLR. Acting on the suggestion from @mach9 , i checked jjmehta forums but most of offers in my budget are overpriced, didn't find a good deal on olx as well (not to mention a scammer). Final decision was from my family who firmly asked me not to go for a used camera.
Its Nikon D3500 for me now i think as i can't stretch for D5600. Checked a few local stores and found Nikon D3500 with dual lens kit (18-55 and 70-300 VR lens) for 38k. Seller says there will be no discount on dussera as supply is low due to covid 19. Is it true? should i go for it now or wait till dussera. Asking because i'm not aware if physical stores offer discounts during festive seasons like Flipkart amazon or not.

Last edited:
@hgps I may sound harsh in my post, apologies for that beforehand :p

There are some excellent suggestions in this thread. Your usage sounds a casual one. Given the fact that you are new to photography, please try to understand what are you expecting from your camera. I was somewhat in similar boat as yours about 5 years ago. Here is my journey. I was not satisfied with my phones (iPhone 5S - duh) camera quality and wanted better images which will not just get blurred when viewing on bigger screen or zooming photo while viewing it. I started with exploring PnS but when learned how tiny their sensors are, I moved to explore other options. The thread I have linked, documents pretty interesting aspects and thoughts. Coming back to sensor sizes, it is important to understand it's role as well. General thumb rule is bigger sensor gives better images - though the difference by going up the ladder is debatable and differs in significance depending on end use-case. Check next image to get perspective of sensor size.

1602063205592.png

Next, moving to other part of 'camera system', like everyone above, my advice is same; start with a good camera body and build eco-system of lenses around it. Before splurging on those kit lenses, first assess that do you even need those focal lengths to shoot at? Zoom lenses (lenses with not a fixed focal length) sound and appear cool but prime lenses almost always surpass them in image quality. Jot down what type of pictures you want to take and determine corresponding focal length. Are you in to landscapes ? get wide angle lens; are you in street photography ? get 30-35mm lens; are you in portraits ? start with 50mm lens; are you in bird photography ? get those super zooms of 100mm and above. Apart from focal length, check what f-stops you want; lower the f-stops faster the lens and performs better in low light.

Do not discard mirrorless camera systems - that's where probably majority of industry is heading to. Sony is kinda pioneer in it and last year even Nikon and Canon launched their full frame mirrorless cameras. To wrap it up, please do not just get any system for just having a DSLR. Also apart from hardware, a lot of image quality depends on the person behind the glass. Consider factors listed above by me and others and take a decision. You have got this photography bug started, cultivate it well. If you got any confusions on technicalities, post it here !

Hope this helps in having better clarity, cheers !

@hgps I may sound harsh in my post, apologies for that beforehand :p

There are some excellent suggestions in this thread. Your usage sounds a casual one. Given the fact that you are new to photography, please try to understand what are you expecting from your camera. I was somewhat in similar boat as yours about 5 years ago. Here is my journey. I was not satisfied with my phones (iPhone 5S - duh) camera quality and wanted better images which will not just get blurred when viewing on bigger screen or zooming photo while viewing it. I started with exploring PnS but when learned how tiny their sensors are, I moved to explore other options. The thread I have linked, documents pretty interesting aspects and thoughts. Coming back to sensor sizes, it is important to understand it's role as well. General thumb rule is bigger sensor gives better images - though the difference by going up the ladder is debatable and differs in significance depending on end use-case. Check next image to get perspective of sensor size.

View attachment 91489

Next, moving to other part of 'camera system', like everyone above, my advice is same; start with a good camera body and build eco-system of lenses around it. Before splurging on those kit lenses, first assess that do you even need those focal lengths to shoot at? Zoom lenses (lenses with not a fixed focal length) sound and appear cool but prime lenses almost always surpass them in image quality. Jot down what type of pictures you want to take and determine corresponding focal length. Are you in to landscapes ? get wide angle lens; are you in street photography ? get 30-35mm lens; are you in portraits ? start with 50mm lens; are you in bird photography ? get those super zooms of 100mm and above. Apart from focal length, check what f-stops you want; lower the f-stops faster the lens and performs better in low light.

Do not discard mirrorless camera systems - that's where probably majority of industry is heading to. Sony is kinda pioneer in it and last year even Nikon and Canon launched their full frame mirrorless cameras. To wrap it up, please do not just get any system for just having a DSLR. Also apart from hardware, a lot of image quality depends on the person behind the glass. Consider factors listed above by me and others and take a decision. You have got this photography bug started, cultivate it well. If you got any confusions on technicalities, post it here !

Hope this helps in having better clarity, cheers !
Thanks for all the information. I had assessed my usage in last 10 days or so. My usage will not be bird photography or fast moving objects. mostly i'll be portrait photography and a few landscapes. I found that for my usage a prime lens with large aperture will be best for indoors (35 or 50mm) and a good telephoto zoom lens for outdoors.

That's why I figured that nikon D3500 with 18-55 and 70-300mm bundle should be the starting point along with a prime lens sometime later. I am not even a photography enthusiast (atleast not right now).
I couldn't find a mirrorless camera in my budget. Let me know if there's one. I'd definitely consider it as i rarely use viewfinder on a camera.

My usage will not be bird photography or fast moving objects. mostly i'll be portrait photography and a few landscapes. That's why I figured that nikon D3500 with 18-55 and 70-300mm bundle should be the starting point along with a prime lens sometime later.
In that case you do not need 70-300mm lens at all. Consider camera body + 50mm prime lens like this >> https://jjmehta.com/forum/index.php/topic,58808.0.html

I'd definitely consider it as i rarely use viewfinder on a camera.
Viewfinder is very helpful in composing your shot.

I couldn't find a mirrorless camera in my budget. Let me know if there's one.
I think Sony A5100 should fit in comfortably. A6000 could be a little stretch. I have moved from A5100 to A6000 and feel home !

Edit: IQ between A5100 and A6000 is not vastly different but auto-focus is faster on A6000

Back