Req. A Tablet ONLY for video chat

Vince

Boogie-Man
Skilled
Hi guys :)

I'm looking for a cheap tablet for my mum to do video chat with my sis and me.
Sis and I have iPad2s.

Since my mum's requirement will be for nothing more than video-chat, (and native 3G sim card support for the same), can you guys suggest the cheapest alternative?

I already made one mistake, purchasing an Android Tablet for 13k. Though it said 3G dongle support, my reliance netconnect+ model happened NOT to be compatible with the tablet.

So thats why i do not want to risk buying another 3g-dongle-only support tablet, and be burnt with it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

LOL. What a coincidence. I have the exact same requirement and I was just about to start a thread. Want a tablet for Mom with the sole requirement being that so she do video chat with Sis (she is in US) through Skype. Don't even want the 3G support as it would be mostly used at home over WiFi.

@vivek.krishnan : Plans seem decent.
3G Tab Tariffs and Plans
But the necessity of a "Tab" as such, is not. :S

@Lord-Nemesis: Do let me know if you come across anything! For me, the cost of a tablet+3g rent should be equal to the tablet(sans 3g)+cost of a wifi connection. Though i'd prefer a 3G one because of the flexibility it'd offer.

Also, we have to be careful, the tablet i bought earlier, didnt support video on skype, but worked flawlessly on Fring. (in case anyone's wondering, i was using a tethered net connection off the reliance dongle off my laptop)

Actually, the HP Touchpad has pretty good Skype integration in WebOS. Considering that lots of people are now selling their Touchpads, you guys could pick one up.

If a tablet is not a necessity, and screen size not much of an issue, get a phone! Else, wait for Aakash to launch ;)

Also, ask PristineNote, they had some tablets, you should check the specs however.

@whatsinaname: WIll checkout the Touchpad :) Thanks!

@Vivek: Yeah, but parents age, and eyesight becomes weak. and hence a phone's screen isnt big enough for them.
Will check up on Pristine Note

@Vicky: Thanks for the link!! But the low-end models don't have native 3G-sim support :(

@gcbeldar : Nope, not happy with my reliance netconnect+ in the first place. Don't want to take chances with any of their services any more.

Belated *Bump*
Any more models on the market?

Read about the Micromax funbook, but thought a 7" would be a pain for video-chat (and my mum's not-so-great eye-sight)

Back