PC Peripherals Ricoh SP210SU - Getting completely dark prints.

eternoMind

Skilled
So both me and my friend have this printer but it's my friend who's been facing the issue.
Basically, this is how his prints are coming out. One print is of a blank page while the other is of a text doc.
IMG_20160815_202735.jpg IMG_20160815_202746.jpg

The cartridge was refilled from a local printer guy for a third time after which this problem started showing up. Refill toner used was Ricoh packed one only for 300 bucks. I can confirm the same coz the same dude refilled mine once as well using that Ricoh toner pack.

After the problem began, the printer guy advised changing the dark grey colored roller (can't remember the exact name) which cost 400 bucks. The issue persisted after which he said to change the green OPC drum. Another 500 bucks later, the problem remained and the service guy took it to some expert and came back with the suggestion to update the printer's firmware or change the chip that came with the cartridge.

Friend came to me after all that and it seems like the service guy is on trial and error mode. All I did was try the cartridge on my printer (we have the same printer) and the result is what you see above. So it's clear this update firmware thing is bollocks and there is something indeed wrong with the cartridge.

Another service guy advised not to throw any more money on this and instead get a new cartridge itself. On Ricoh website, the cartridge for this printer is priced north of 4K :confused:

Where does the issue lie?
Are three refills all that such laser MFPs can take before the cartridge starts to die?

I gave my working cartridge as well along with the friends' defective one to the repair guy. He came up with this idea a good 2-3 days after this. Am sure it must have been out of accident more than anything else cause he himself wasn't able to explain how he concluded that the chip was at fault. He didn't have the chip for the Ricoh so it was another two day wait before we got to test it.

Friend said the initial few prints were so-so but quality got better after 20 to 30 copies. No complaints for over a week now. Fingers crossed!

So both the customer and repair guy got to learn something from this. :)

And I learnt something too; when it comes to printers, recommend or buy only those brands that are backed up by good (and affordable) official ASS or decent third-party support.

I say affordable coz we contacted the official Ricoh helpline to see if their technician/engineer can diagnose the issue correctly. The rep told me since machine was out of warranty, I'd have to bear the cost of the visit. I was game for that but what i didn't expect was a Rs. 800 + S.T. charge just for the visit. Needless to say, that was the end of it.

The next time I have this issue, I will sap a chip from a good cartridge and see what happens before ordering a bunch!

Yep that's better than buying chips beforehand.

Back