CPU/Mobo Right Mem for MoBo

P.Ping Tom

Disciple
Hey guys,

I have a Gigabyte mobo on which I was using a basic 2g set of Kingston RAM (don't know the model no.). I wanna upgrade to a pair of Crucial Ballistix Tracers, but then I came across this 'memory support list' on Gigabytes page, and they've only included two models of Crucial ddr2 800 RAM, neither of which match the pair I wanna get. My question - is the 'memory support list' put out by Gigabyte a more of a company recommended guideline, or is the list set in stone i.e. absolutely no other RAM will be compatible w/ my mobo? Please help as I have a friend who's coming down from the US in a week and I need him to place this order with newegg asap. Muchos gracias in advance! :)

Actually they do that so so u don't go out and buy some expensive/ el cheapo RAM and then sue them if it won't work with ur board :eek:hyeah: .

Some companies do keep the lists updated on their high end models. They come in handy when u're planning to splurge on that expensive pairs of sticks.

I remember getting some OCZ on clearance and the A8N-VM mobo they were bought for wouldn't even boot with them. Later found out on some forums that the board had issues with that particular RAM. Had to install Corsair Twinx.

Yeah these lists are for what will work for sure....

Some mobos do have issues with some RAM... which are mostly very high end RAMs

Thanks guys. So my next question is more specific then. My mobo is the Gigiabyte P35-DS4 (rev 1.1) Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS4 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard - Retail.
I was initially looking at getting a pair of Crucial Ballistix Tracers Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail or the Geil Evo One Newegg.com - GeIL Evo One 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail. Gigabyte recommends this pair of Crucial Ballistix on their mem support page Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail.

I initially wanted to get a pair of Tracers, but after reading a number of bad reviews they've received, and that too mostly in the last two months, I'm having second thoughts. The Gigabyte-recommended Crucial pair seems good, but a number of reviews are claiming that it runs real hot. I came across the Geil Evo One while looking around and have chosen it simply on the basis of its positive (albeit scant) reviews. It is very tall though - twice the height of normal sticks. Now I know nothing about Geil as a brand/manufacturer, or whether it has compatibility issues with Gigabyte, so I basically wanted to get your guys' opinion on this. Based on the mobo I have, do you guys recommend I go for any one of the rams in particular, or will they all be equally good? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks again. :)

He's read bad reviews..
Wat more do u want?? :p

I'd always say the same.. Wen it comes to performance nothin beats G.Skill..

^^ The G-Skill looks droolworthy but way outta my budget as of now. Next upgrade maybe :eek:hyeah: . No comments/takers for the Geil then? Will fall back on the G'byte recommended Crucials then. Anyone? :huh:

Lo'l.. They cant test every stick of RAM out there in the market so they specify just a very basic list of them..

They miss out on Tracers, Dominators, Axerams, G.Skills n wat not.. :)

^^if you read around, geil sticks are very good considering the price they come for and they also have the cheapest sticks with the micron d9's in the US :D

i dont think u can go wrong with that

and the problem of incompatibility of some high end rams with mobos is mainly because thise ram mdules need higher voltages...so you first have to get into the bios and increase the voltage
eg: very common for ocz 4gb modules is that you get into the bios with 1 module installed...and after increasing the voltage you drop the second module in
its coz 4gb ram of theirs generally doesnt boot with the default 1.8volts

Back