RIP iPhone 4: One of Apple’s best iPhones will not get iOS 8

The Knight

Knight is coming
Adept
At the Apple Developer Conference event WWDC 2014 in San Francisco, which was held yesterday, Apple announced a lot of improvements and new features for their OS X and iOS operating systems. The iOS 8, as it would be called, will succeed iOS 7 and will be available for devices – iPhone 5s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s. Of course it would debut on the upcoming iPhone 6. However, iPhone 4, which was a significant milestone for Apple has been left out of iOS 8 support, meaning that iOS 7 would be its last operating system.
iphone-4110622151613.jpg
The iPhone 4 has modest specifications when compared to the current day smartphones, but still manages to run iOS 7′s graphics and animation heavy UI. When iOS 7 was launched for iPhone 4, it was a slow and painful experience for the users. By leaving out the iOS 8 update for the iPhone 4 users, Apple has done the right thing by not providing a patchy and slow interface.

All the iOS devices since iPhone 4S would be eligible for the iOS 8 update and the update is expected to be available in Fall, later this year.

Was expected. iOS 7 was as it is terrible on iPhone 4. I think the same will be true for iOS 8 on iPhone 4S.
But yes i really dig the design of iPhone 4. Looks very sophisticated (IMO) and feels great to hold in hand.

Last edited:
Its almost 4 years old and they stopped updates for it and We have galaxy S3 not more than 2 years old and there is no 4.4 for it. Apple did support the product for a long time though.

I am actually more surprised that iPad 2 is supported still. I think it will still crawl on iPad 2 as well.

This is because iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and iPad Mini use same SoC, IIRC. It's performance remains questionable though on these devices - 99% sure initial release of new OS will scrawl.

This is because iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and iPad Mini use same SoC, IIRC. It's performance remains questionable though on these devices - 99% sure initial release of new OS will scrawl.

Call me conspiracy theorist but I feel apple deliberately slows down the new iOS on these very old devices and this in most cases would frustrate the user and contemplate him to buy the latest device to enjoy the same iOS at full speed.
My wife uses iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1.1 and it flies. With some awesome jailbreak tweaks and polished iOS 5 interface (still don't like the flat UI), I really like the experience. She is so used to the JB that rarely when the phone crashes in safe mode and all JB tweaks are disabled, she just gets lost and quickly wants the JB mode back :p

Call me conspiracy theorist but I feel apple deliberately slows down the new iOS on these very old devices and this in most cases would frustrate the user and contemplate him to buy the latest device to enjoy the same iOS at full speed.

May be !!

polished iOS 5 interface (still don't like the flat UI)

And here I am one who very much liked the change of visuals :p Even if today there is some good theme which is light on memory, I would like to go back to iOS 6.1.4 for some performance improvement - as I have SHSH blobs only of iOS 6.1.4.

Iphone 4 on 7.1 is still rock solid
Apple Made a Lot of Bugs fixed in the Update it was laggy on 7.0
The last Few Updates made The phone back to life

Iphone 4 on 7.1 is still rock solid
Apple Made a Lot of Bugs fixed in the Update it was laggy on 7.0
The last Few Updates made The phone back to life

I too read that. Earlier iOS 7 crippled iPhone 4 but the latest one iOS 7.1 or whatever makes it usable.

iOS 7.1.1 makes iPhone 4 usable to much better extent than iOS 7.0.4

Do not intend to start Android v/s iOS/Apple but there are plenty of examples in Android phone makers where though phones are capable but updates are denied - recent example being Galaxy S3.

Back