RIP iPhone 4: One of Apple’s best iPhones will not get iOS 8

Oh yeah? Do compare the prices after 3-4 years aswell.

Prices of ? Moto E vs iPhone. That is plain absurd. No point comparing the 2 phones. Their OS is also different.
If we are considering prices then what about the the S3 and such, they weren't launched at sub 10k price. They are sort of premium flagships right ?
We are just saying that companies are greedy (as we all know) and want people to buy their latest offering and frustrate you by not giving the latest OS even when the device itself is capable of. And before you or anyone does, do not bring custom ROM and all in the picture. We are not getting in that area. We are discussing about stock offerings.

Prices of ? Moto E vs iPhone. That is plain absurd. No point comparing the 2 phones. Their OS is also different.
If we are considering prices then what about the the S3 and such, they weren't launched at sub 10k price. They are sort of premium flagships right ?
We are just saying that companies are greedy (as we all know) and want people to buy their latest offering and frustrate you by not giving the latest OS even when the device itself is capable of. And before you or anyone does, do not bring custom ROM and all in the picture. We are not getting in that area. We are discussing about stock offerings.

As I said before, I'm not samsung's fan either. Only Motorola and Google (Nexus series) has impressed me so far with updates. Before you say, yes GNex wasn't able to get the update just because of it's not compatible SoC. I'm not going into Custom Rom's, let's take example of Nexus 10, still got the 4.4.3 update yesterday.

As I said before, I'm not samsung's fan either. Only Motorola and Google (Nexus series) has impressed me so far with updates. Before you say, yes GNex wasn't able to get the update just because of it's not compatible SoC. I'm not going into Custom Rom's, let's take example of Nexus 10, still got the 4.4.3 update yesterday.

I agree on Nexus devices. I myself own Nexus 7. But personally, I highly doubt that google/motorola will give an OS update 4 years after the product is launched.

Nexus 10 is JUST little more than a year and half old device. No big deal in getting a latest version of OS on it. OTOH iPhone 4 got supported till 4 years. For a piece of hardware that old, I do not think any other company will find it worth to spend resources.

For simple reference,
Google supports devices for 18 months
Microsoft says support for 36 months

For update cycle that long premium paid is worth, IMO.

I was checking the feature list of iOS 8 and there is Airplay without the need of wifi. This is going to be really good. One can buy an apple tv and can take it anywhere even if there is no wifi, still airplay will work.[DOUBLEPOST=1401959668][/DOUBLEPOST]Although iOS 8 is allowing third party keyboards, Apple will replace it with stock keyboard when you are about to enter data in a secure field, say password. This can be overridden through some setting but the default setup means you can use 3rd party keyboard but when entering password etc things, it will temporarily replace it with stock one.
I personally feel this is done to safeguard the user from key loggers etc or potential threats with information capturing through third party keyboards.

Last edited:
Google supports devices for 18 months

Nexus 10 is 20 months old now. So, as you said "18 month", here you are wrong. I know Google has officially said that they didn't update GNex just because of 18months policy but I'm guessing they just ignored to tell people about the SoC incompatibility, but rather thought of giving the 18 months excuse. No idea why they did that.

But personally, I highly doubt that google/motorola will give an OS update 4 years after the product is launched.

Coming back to my original statement, at what cost? iPhone 4 on iOS 7 was pathetic. It was lagging like crazy. My brother sold his iPhone 4 just because of this. Sure, they supported it for 4 years but the phone wasn't upto iOS standards. Motorola/Google will prolly support their phones for like 2-3 years , but atleast till that date, the devices will run smoothly.

Nexus 10 is 20 months old now. So, as you said "18 month", here you are wrong. I know Google has officially said that they didn't update GNex just because of 18months policy but I'm guessing they just ignored to tell people about the SoC incompatibility, but rather thought of giving the 18 months excuse. No idea why they did that.

Bullshit argument.

There is a Cm11 gor Gnex. If CM can do Google can do it.

The thing was it was inconvenient for Google and they did not do it.

Apple clearly has the advantage over Google or OEM in terms of updated which is the a benefit of having a closed eco system.

Bullshit argument.

There is a Cm11 gor Gnex. If CM can do Google can do it.

The thing was it was inconvenient for Google and they did not do it.

Apple clearly has the advantage over Google or OEM in terms of updated which is the a benefit of having a closed eco system.

Custom rom's are a bug fest. Always. I have used alot of Custom Rom's.... alot. They are never good for daily driver. Stock Rom has always the best compatibility. Even custom kernel's are a bug fest. That's the reason I prefer stock rom and stock kernel with Xposed, though Xposed is a bug fest aswell, granted , but they just works and if you don't like em, you can just uninstall them without causing dirt flash problems, which always give compatibility problems. But I'm guessing you know know... but you will reply me just for the sake of argument :) Btw, benefit of close eco system? This is the first time I'm hearing that. You love closed OS's ? Seriously, what's wrong with you?

Self-contradicting !!

Great, you quoted some part of my argument, also funny that you didn't explain to me how nexus 10 being 20 months old got the update?

Back