Router suggestion or a fix ?

nRiTeCh

Skilled
I'm suffering with dhcp issues since few months now.

ISP: Hathway
My wifi router: D-Link DIR-600L

Current Issue: Dhcp ip lease never auto renews from isp ends...have to turn off/on modem to get the ip/lease. (doesn't work even when manually renewing dhcp)

After a year of dirty fight and what not, last month hathway changed their modem at my home. But still the issue persists.

Now only thing remaining to change is the cable and my wifi router.

**I'm not using any outside.google dns etc. Its all isp stock.

1584966541726.png

Does this DLink router have an app? My MI router has an app in which we can set it to make the router auto reboot at set time every day or once a week etc. I was using the app to auto reboot the router when I was on a night double speed plan.

Another way is to use a smart switch and program it to switch off at a set time at night and switch on after 3-4 minutes to properly renew the ip address. Do it 3 or 4 am if you're not downloading stuff everyday.

@6pack @nikhilavasthi Point here is, the time isnt fixed for the dhcp issue.
It even happens that a lease was obtained right now and in next 2-3 hrs there is no surfing, so in that case either I have to keep waiting for a countless period or have to login to my Dlink and release the IP and then renew it. Off late, this renewal never happens 9/10 times.
Hence its tad difficult or unrealistic to setup a fixed time to schedule a reboot as we are unsure of the timing the ISP looses the lease.

If it's an ISP issue, then only solution is to switch ISP.
Yes but here only Joister, Gazon, you broadband, tikona are available for which reviews are not good. So investing is too risky...
I was tempted by Joister but their monthly plans are too loudy... installation 1k and 50mbps per month ultd is 1600 + gst.
Gazon is cheap but reviews suck again.
You and tikona are as good are pathetic!

@6pack @nikhilavasthi Point here is, the time isnt fixed for the dhcp issue.
It even happens that a lease was obtained right now and in next 2-3 hrs there is no surfing, so in that case either I have to keep waiting for a countless period or have to login to my Dlink and release the IP and then renew it. Off late, this renewal never happens 9/10 times.
Hence its tad difficult or unrealistic to setup a fixed time to schedule a reboot as we are unsure of the timing the ISP looses the lease.
I do understand your concern, but if you set it up as a schedule and in terms of DHCP lease expiration, it will make it easier for you and your router. You can speak to someone from your ISP; they will tell you whats their lease time is and then set the schedule - keeping the router always on (instead of going for on-demand) will be much more comfortable. And with these schedules created - you can also enable the schedule for wireless (in case if you don't want your router to be available to broadcast signal) to be turned off and setup remote IP based console access. This way, it will be easier for you to operate it on mobile/tablet too.

I also know that Hathway or other tier-2 ISPs are not that consistent in DHCP and other aspects of network management. Also, since you're from Pune - why don't you give a try to Jio Fiber - its available in Pune (at least I have seen it at multiple places in Pune like KP, Viman Nagar).

I do understand your concern, but if you set it up as a schedule and in terms of DHCP lease expiration, it will make it easier for you and your router. You can speak to someone from your ISP; they will tell you whats their lease time is and then set the schedule - keeping the router always on (instead of going for on-demand) will be much more comfortable. And with these schedules created - you can also enable the schedule for wireless (in case if you don't want your router to be available to broadcast signal) to be turned off and setup remote IP based console access. This way, it will be easier for you to operate it on mobile/tablet too.

I also know that Hathway or other tier-2 ISPs are not that consistent in DHCP and other aspects of network management. Also, since you're from Pune - why don't you give a try to Jio Fiber - its available in Pune (at least I have seen it at multiple places in Pune like KP, Viman Nagar).
ISP personals are a**h*les in one word. (have said this straight on the face of thei nodal officers)
They cant understand even an inch of issues even after spoon feeding. They wont visit you house to have a physical lookout. They juts close the complaint at their end stating issue fixed and then asking for ratings.
They will call for the issue at 8-9am in morning when the issue never persists when i ask them to call during the issue period which is after 5p. Such illiterates are there and you expect dhcp knowledge form them.

I still didnt got the schedule you talking about. The schedule reboot should match the lease of isp.
More to that I already tried rebooting the modem at random intervals say 3 times a day and yet the issue persists.

Surprisingly in past 24hrs no lease issue has occurred nor I rebooted my modem. See this is how it is happening.

Jio fiber, I went to their site and its asking for details like ph no etc which I dont wanna do to get spammed.

Also, if I heard it right Jio is to acquire hathway or merge it so dont know if this is true or when is this gonna happen.

So finally this curfew etc. left with me no choice as isp offices are closed and they say we cannot guarantee anything.
I will have to renew my hathway again but the thing is the account expired last night and now I'm not sure if renewals through web or app are actually working as when I called their CC they keep saying you are in Q and never gets connected.
I don't wanna waste my 5.5k there. As twice I had horrified exp. about renewing and a/c not getting activated until I called CC and got it activated.

So if any hathway customer here who renewed their a/c in past 7 days do lemme know..

Back