Rs 5,000 too much? Steps to close SBI savings account!

Friend went to close SBI as he shifted all his finances to HDFC.

SBI people said 1500rs for account closing charges. Is this legit? I told him to ask them to show where it was written and that lady rudely said him to look it up online

Friend went to close SBI as he shifted all his finances to HDFC.

SBI people said 1500rs for account closing charges. Is this legit? I told him to ask them to show where it was written and that lady rudely said him to look it up online
Yep. Actually 1000. That is a norm. They will return the remaining after the deductions (if any)

Clearly mentioned in post#1 https://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/183730/ Things to carry

Also ask your friend if he has carried patience or not? :p Tell him Razor/Swatkats has asked :D

Last edited:
Yes, SBI employee here. Curious about what?[DOUBLEPOST=1495893537][/DOUBLEPOST]I feel an amount like Rs. 5000 can be considered a "token" amount to maintain min balance in an account - if you don't have/want that much to put into a bank, just carry it as cash. but then maybe I'm out of touch with the ground realities.

(Proud SBI employee here)

Last edited:
I asked for an Employee to understand how many SB accounts have been closed till date after 5k announcement?

feel an amount like Rs. 5000 can be considered a "token" amount to maintain min balance in an account - if you don't have/want that much to put into a bank, just carry it as cash. but then maybe I'm out of touch with the ground realities.

(Proud SBI employee here)

Honestly, I have zero respect towards SBI employees. Except 1 in a 10 all are Kaam chor. It's not that i'm frustrated, Its just that things won't change even after a decade, I have gone to like 10's of SBI branches and i'm coming to this conclusion.

^^ Nothing specific about SBI, most indian govt. employees are like that. Heck the primary reason most people want a govt job, other than pension benefits etc. is that they can slack off all they want without fear of being fired. People have actually said this to my face...

I mean after the merger of all associate banks into SBI they have increased all kinds of fees. Normally it should be the other way around. Maybe because of the massive write offs. :):D

My experience with SBI has been equally bad. The amount of running around to open a pension account was ridiculous.

I think this is true with most govt employees though.

When I went there to close my 8 year old account, they wouldn't let close it since signatures were not matching. signature which I kept when I was 16. I asked them to show old signature so that I can sign with my old signature but the aunty there wouldn't let me. Sheer idiocy on her part. I even offered all the identity cards to prove myself but apparently signature is the only one she can be sure of. Glad I got rid of them

My local branch has all Youth Staff now, 25-35 age group.. Initial interaction has been good, They're not like the old folks who used to work at their own will n wish. Looks like they got shuffled from Group branches.. :)

Too early to say anything.. If their services improve might open a PPF.

My local branch has all Youth Staff now, 25-35 age group.. Initial interaction has been good, They're not like the old folks who used to work at their own will n wish. Looks like they got shuffled from Group branches.. :)

Too early to say anything.. If their services improve might open a PPF.

You still do not have a PPF account? Get one at the earliest ASAP.

Back