Budget 90k+ Ryzen gaming build requiring suggestions

Based on so many internet reviews, gaming system on rayzen is not the best idea. intel is way better for these purposes.
If you actually look at the benchmarks and read through them and not just base your decisions on conclusions by these reviewers alone, you will see a bigger picture and under that a whole lot of truth. And, you will be surprised as it will be very different from what you just said.

Intel is better in enthusiast (high end) market, true, because of their higher clocks and higher IPC rate than AMD.Also, i5 k and i7 k can be overclocked to about 5GHz with a little more investment.

However, once you start looking at the mainstream market (which is about 90% of the whole PC gaming market, maybe even more, I just made this statistic up. :p), you will see that starting Summit Ridge, AMD has bounced back in the gaming market. Your statement was true before march 2017 and is true still but in some cases. Ryzen 5 1600 (X) beat the skylake i5 in every way possible. Gaming, applications, productivity, etc. etc. Tripled the thread count from i5 4c/4t to R5 6C/12T. CPU utilization now started hovering below 40% in games leaving your system free to do other work (twitch, live stream to YT etc.). Most importantly, the GPUs that can be paired with these CPUs without bottlenecking increased in number. e.g. Ryzen 5 1600 can be paired as easily with 1050ti for 900p gaming as with 1080ti for 4k gaming. All this at same/lower price. Probably, what is more important is that now the game devs have the reason to breach the 4 core mark and start optimizing games for more cores which will accelerate the gaming fidelity rate which was stagnant for the past few years because of Intel's monopoly (coz of AMD's incompetency) of keeping the core count to 4.

PC Gaming market is at an interesting crossroads. Reminds me bout the time when AMD released the first dual core 64 bit CPU, gave Intel the run for their money with thier Phenom II series and now with Ryzen. Today, whatever we buy, consumers are the real winners. :)

Its not as black and white as Intel for gaming and AMD for productivity. If you are looking at 1080p 60hz, which is what the mainstream looks for, the R5 1600 is the clear winner interms of value for money, it will give you excellent gaming performance with decent productivity and multitasking abilities. The Intel lineup makes sense if you you are a professional gamer, with supporting peripherals to back it up (high refresh monitors). Once you get into 1440p / 4k the processor is a non issue. After having purchased a R71700 in late September, I was looking to pick up the 8700k after looking at the benchmarks, but then I got more practical and realised that I am a causal gamer, may up my resolution and probably get into streaming later, stuck on with the R7 1700 coming from the 2500k, not disappointed, the gaming experience has been a lot smoother, I can have a bazillion apps running in the back ground.

Bottom line, there is no clear winner, you wouldn't have coffee lake if it weren't for Ryzen. So look at your use case and decide which platform you want to be on.

Back