Samsung Flagship phones Disposable?

matoind

Adept
I bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 two years back. Though it served me quite well, the battery is no more the same. Have been going to Samsung Repair Center since last one month but the battery was never available. They suggested that I submit my phone and then maybe they will arrange after talking to higher authorities . I argued that I have a SIM that is only 4G compatible and dont have a spare 4G phone so please arrange for the battery. This was plainly refused saying that the battery is not there in stock.

Since my phone goes dead in by evening, I decided to forward my Calls on another phone and submit my phone. But then the Samsung repair center informed me that the battery has not been available since last 4 months. Also there is no plan to import the battery. So no point in submitting the phone. Further the lady suggested that I try the open market because there phone as old as 5 years get batteries.

Guess they want to make all flagship buyers upgrade. Even I was planning to upgrade. But looking at the treatment to flagship buyers, I have decided to wait for oneplus 4. Guess the life of phone wont be any different.

Exactly. I managed to locate a battery by sending a email to CEO desk. They managed to locate a service center with a battery. So I went there. At first the service person tried to convince me not to change the battery. But I still insisted. So the replaced the battery but a small patch appeared on the screen due to separation of the screen lens from the screen. The person tried to convince me that the problem was already there. Later he said that the Galaxy S6 and Note 5 phones have this problem which has been resolved in the Galaxy S7 onwards!

Not sure what is the case. Was it because of this problem that they didn't make the battery available? Or whether all phone glued could have the same problem? Or whether the problem has been rectified by Samsung in the next generation of phones? Or maybe they are trying to convince me to upgrade to next phone.

Maybe we will see the return of replaceable battery so that people don't have to tear their phone apart just to replace the battery.

Exactly. I managed to locate a battery by sending a email to CEO desk. They managed to locate a service center with a battery. So I went there. At first the service person tried to convince me not to change the battery. But I still insisted. So the replaced the battery but a small patch appeared on the screen due to separation of the screen lens from the screen. The person tried to convince me that the problem was already there. Later he said that the Galaxy S6 and Note 5 phones have this problem which has been resolved in the Galaxy S7 onwards!

Not sure what is the case. Was it because of this problem that they didn't make the battery available? Or whether all phone glued could have the same problem? Or whether the problem has been rectified by Samsung in the next generation of phones? Or maybe they are trying to convince me to upgrade to next phone.

Maybe we will see the return of replaceable battery so that people don't have to tear their phone apart just to replace the battery.
I don't know if S6 and Note 5 were designed any differently, but having changed many batteries across various Android and iPhones, I have never seen any issue cropping up with the screen. In most phones, changing battery was least intrusive and I didn't even have to remove the screen components or have anything to do with the screen apart from the newer iPhones and even in those cases I haven't seen any issues crop up with the screens.

Unibody phones don't have a back panel or cover. The only way to access the internals is by ungluing the screen using a heat gun. Sometimes this process can damage the display or digitizer.

Unibody phones don't have a back panel or cover. The only way to access the internals is by ungluing the screen using a heat gun. Sometimes this process can damage the display or digitizer.

Heat gun is not needed for most phones
You can just separate the screen from the back panel using your fingernails or use guitar picks
Yeah there's a risk of damaging your phone if you are trying this for first time

Thanks for the links. There's a reason why some features are made available only on flagship/premium phones. Until some Chinese company manages to reverse-engineer it and incorporates it in their phones.

Just wait till next year when budget phones from MI, Coolpad, Gionee or some other company start coming with iris scanners, dual cameras, or whatever feature current flagship phones are sporting.

Thanks for the links. There's a reason why some features are made available only on flagship/premium phones. Until some Chinese company manages to reverse-engineer it and incorporates it in their phones.

Just wait till next year when budget phones from MI, Coolpad, Gionee or some other company start coming with iris scanners, dual cameras, or whatever feature current flagship phones are sporting.

True that
Samsung and LG are being innovative these days with their displays
S8 is very and successful and the most common reason for purchase i hear from anyone is its display
Although Xiaomi has Mi mix and mi note 2, they are priced over 400$+
At that price people are opting for S8/G6 spending few dollars

Last edited:
FFS man, give it a rest!

Whether you think heat is required or not, a unibody screen is glued to the frame. And ungluing a screen can damage it. That's what my post meant. I think the OP and everyone else got it. Can you drop your unnecessary incessant replies about nothing. Dissecting my post generalisation...

FFS man, give it a rest!

Whether you think heat is required or not, a unibody screen is glued to the frame. And ungluing a screen can damage it. That's what my post meant. I think the OP and everyone else got it. Can you drop your unnecessary incessant replies about nothing. Dissecting my post generalisation...

Screen wont get damaged for many unibody devices although you can use heat gun for specific or all mobiles for an easy job and that's what my post meant
I have personally did this to my redmi note 4 and redmi note 3 and thats what said in my post

Yes, Heat Gun is required, I rest my case

Have a great day ahead

Last edited:
He is correct. HTC One M7 was the first phone which gave trouble due to it's unibody design, but I saw many repair guys fix it's screen without any issues or using a heat gun. It depends on the skill and dexterity of the repair person. I got some M7 fixed from someone who was skilled. When I tried it, I ended up deforming the back plate but that wasn't a big issue as the replacement was very cheap.

One of the biggest problems with us Indian jugaadus, is we think we know more than the manufacturers and hence take shortcuts. Saving what, I dunno. Take a look here for the official service manuals.

So, we skip important steps and then, when something breaks we go like FML. Sure, you may be skilled, and the screen may not break. But why take a risk? Why not just follow the manufacturers recommendations in the first place. Specifically about ungluing, not using heat to soften glue is just a retarded excuse for laziness/lack of thoroughness. And any official repair guy already has an adjustable temperature heat gun. Why would he skip using it? To show off his skill? I have been fixing cellphones for years now and i know the difference between the old bricks which practically snapped together and the new ultra-dense and compact models. You can't just use the old techniques on them.

I don't understand the problem here
A post clearly meant that "there's no way to access internals of an unibody device without using a heat gun" There was nothing more to it
It also meant that even this process can damage your device
Someone reacted to it saying that you can access internals of most unibody devices minus few complicated devices like Galaxy S6/S6 Edge / S7 Edge / S8 / Mi Mix without damaging your screen or without using any heat gun (the amount of glue used is none to minimal) just for information sake. It was mere a case of perception and possiblity
Now it turned out to be Galaxy S6 specific, Skill related, Official guides n what not
Coming back to the OPs Galaxy S6, it was specifically mentioned here on ifixit "The S6 Edge was monstrously hard to open, and odds are the S6 has the same nasty adhesive." This is not the case with every unibody device. If someone decides to fry open Galaxy S6 with guitar picks then he will obviously damage the screen
So much of unrelated discussion, its better if some concentrate first on what said in their initial post and what they got as a reply, there will never be a need to target any member or for explanations either!

Last edited:
Yes, you freaking dimwit, there is no correct way to access a unibody device without using a heat gun because they are glued. And you should NOT be prying apart glued parts without softening them first. How hard is this to understand. Minimal to no glue lol. So those phones are held together with the manufacturer's goodwill. You are the one going on and on about nothing. I posted a source for the S6, which btw, is the phone being discussed in this thread. If you want to make this an off-topic expert discussion on opening unibody phones without applying heat first, then please go ahead and post some manufacturer service manuals which say, 'just pry apart glued panels without heating first', and we can take it from there. Else stfu and stop littering these forums with nonsense. Just because people in our country do things the wrong way all the time, from electronics to automobiles to mech, doesn't make it ok. Read my post again. Especially the last part. I don't even know why i'm trying to explain something to a 12 year old internet forum retard.

Yes, you freaking dimwit, there is no correct way to access a unibody device without using a heat gun because they are glued. And you should NOT be prying apart glued parts without softening them first. How hard is this to understand. Minimal to no glue lol. So those phones are held together with the manufacturer's goodwill. You are the one going on and on about nothing. I posted a source for the S6, which btw, is the phone being discussed in this thread. If you want to make this an off-topic expert discussion on opening unibody phones without applying heat first, then please go ahead and post some manufacturer service manuals which say, 'just pry apart glued panels without heating first', and we can take it from there. Else stfu and stop littering these forums with nonsense. Just because people in our country do things the wrong way all the time, from electronics to automobiles to mech, doesn't make it ok. Read my post again. Especially the last part. I don't even know why i'm trying to explain something to a 12 year old internet forum retard.

First go n edit your post where you were talking about all unibody devices
As a reply to my answer you were providing references of S6 and u continued to provide references of S6
Apart from S6 there are many unibody devices go n check there forums for answers
For a reference check the videos I added
If Gluing is so important to all unibody devices once u pry open your device u have to continue applying glue everytime
Go n check if that's the case
Of course about others

And you were saying you fixed so many devices in the past couple of years
How many n what devices precisely?
Everyone got to know about unibody devices because of HTC M7 and I myself owned that device and fixed the pink tint camera with the appropriate tools (minus heat gun)
Bother to read iFixit post where it clearly says that S6 uses strong adhesive

No one was giving any explanation for all unibody devices except you. It is really funny you are referring my posts as Off topic
This is feedback corner anyone can give feedback on their experience
If you have problems with others correcting you for anything stop posting in such threads. If you want to just pick a fight n call other people by names then there are different places for that

Just because someone calls you something you won't be going to be that. Even mentally retarded persons think the whole world is retarded except them but the fact is it is your words and actions that define you n your character

FYI
in order to access the internals of many unibody phones, all you have to do is to separate the front part with the back panel (Yes unibody devices (if not all) have back panels although not easily accessible
And there will not be any glue used there. You will have to deal with glue only if you want to replace the display panel
You yourself got confused in the first place n was trying to confuse others!

Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-3-Teardown-17-1024x576.jpg

Last edited:
The Samsung centers are using some kind of oven. They screen got patches because the Glass got detached from the display.

They are claiming that the problem has been solved in Galaxy S7 onwards , but the Screen is prone to get Damaged in Galaxy S6 and Note 5 if you try to change the battery.

This explains why no one had a spare battery. The when I forced the company for one, the screen got damaged.

The service center tried to hand me the damaged phone and I informed them that I will follow up the rest with Samsung. Then he kept the phone for 5-6 days on pretext of finding a solution as the new display costs Rs 9000. Guess he was looking for a second hand one. But I was left with no phone for a couple of days. Ultimately I sold him the phone for Rs 11000 and bought another phone.

But Like Ramsai said, the dealer did say that the Galaxy S6 had issues.

This is what i've been saying from the start. Removing any glued screen is a risk. If you try to pry apart the screen without properly softening the glue, the screen can get damaged. And ovens are better than heat guns and pads because they heat up the entire area uniformly. The only issue here is miscalculation of the time and temperature required. Because all our technicians are basically used to prying phones apart. Once they damage enough phones they will finally learn the right way to do it. And trying to open a glued screen without any heat is almost suicidal. Regardless of how little glue you think there is. Old phones all used latches. A pick in the right spot and it just pops out. No pressure required.

Back